It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
(female)

g1rl HB User
can an asthma cough be productive?

Please excuse my ignorance. I find with each flare up I get different symptoms. I started with a slight sore throat last Friday, nothing bothersome as in the kind I get with a cold. Saturday I woke up with a slight productive cough, no nasal stuffiness or fever and no SOB. Sunday coughing more but no other symptims. Monday, cough was much worse and very productive. I was SOB and coughing whenever I talked. Did a breathing treatment and it helped. Same with Tuesday and Wednesday, did breathing treatments once each day and it helped. Cough got better yesterday, less phlegm/mucus and not so SOB. Today the phlegm/mucus is back with a vengeance. My asthma is usually brought on by sickness or exercise. I don't feel sick and usually get a dry hacking cough and usually a productive cough when I end up with bronchitis. So is this an asthma cough? I am rather confused.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: can an asthma cough be productive?

Productive in what way? Is it just phlegm, white, kind of foamy?
Is it yellow or green, obviously mucus?

What meds are you on for your asthma? Are you on a treatment regimen that includes a preventer and an as needed reliever? A duo product which includes a preventer and a long lasting reliever?

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

g1rl HB User

hmm my cough is crunchy, I can feel the phlegm in my chest and throat move when I cough. I however can't bring it up so I don't know what color it is. I don't think its infected because I don't have a fever. I am on Asmanex 2 puffs daily. Doing a breathing treatment helps so I'm guessing its my asthma?

Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

It sounds as though you might have contracted a respiratory virus and it's hanging out in your lungs. I had one that lasted quite a long time, but it was obviously a cold or flu then the remaining lung sounds and difficulty to cough up anything except a once in a while token phlegmmy stuff.

I do double the steroid inhaler (Pulmicort) as soon as I get sick and it affects my asthma...are you doing the same?

I would suggest you try an expectorant and see if that helps. Not one with DM or decongestant..just plain. I use Robitussin extra strength a few times a day. Yes..that one time I went through 2 bottles...

You could also try steaming youself to see if it helps.

One thing you should do, however, is to make sure (if it's not improving) to see your doctor so that he can take a listen and decide if you might need other meds such as antibiotics.

My asthma is more intrinsic than extrinsic as well...I do have some scarring from repeated infections from long ago (doctor refused to put me on antibiotics or the steroid inhaler)...sigh.

If you don't have any pain, that's a good thing.

Keep me posted how you're doing.

I'm curious if you get flu shots yearly? I do, but I realise it won't protect me from all flu viruses. But I'm hoping it's at least some help in not being quite as bad as it could be.

feel better soon,
q

Last edited by quincy; 11-25-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Closed Thread