HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Asthma (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/asthma/)
-   -   Getting sick (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/asthma/929103-getting-sick.html)

iCadance 11-26-2012 07:01 AM

Getting sick

I hate getting URI. It always makes my asthma 20 times worse. And it always hangs out for months. I have had to up my use with my rescue inhaler and treatments. And even with that I am still in my yellow zone. I cough whenever I am up moving around and am SOB even to the point it wakes me up at night. Is there anything I can do at home to help besides what I am doing now? I take two puffs of dulera every morning and night. I am hoping I won't have to go to my asthma dr but it is looking like I might have to make the trip if I can't figure something else to do to help me.

Capttom48 11-26-2012 11:16 AM

Re: Getting sick

I know that you are reluctant to do so, but a trip to your asthma doctor might be necessary. You could also call the office to see what they advise.

iCadance 11-26-2012 12:23 PM

I called them they are upping my dulera to 200 and I am starting singular he is hoping to get it under control before I need perednizone. Which I am trying to avoid because it makes me sick. He said if I get worse to call them.

[QUOTE=Capttom48;5094868]I know that you are reluctant to do so, but a trip to your asthma doctor might be necessary. You could also call the office to see what they advise.[/QUOTE]

MountainReader 11-26-2012 12:37 PM

Are you using your rescue inhaler frequently? Do you have a nebulizer at home? Sometimes, I find that the nebulizer gives me a bit of a boost in getting the meds further into my lungs.

I've been in a similiar situation. I got a flare that started in September and I'm still dealing with a lingering cough. I first upped my Advair dosage, then I eventually switched to Dulera 200 and added Singulair. I also tried a couple rounds of antibiotics. It started as a true asthma flare, but I think an URI creeped in while I was down from the asthma. I also get Tessalon Perle to help calm the cough.

I know how miserable these flares are. I hope you feel better soon.:wave:

Trinity12 11-26-2012 02:50 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time iCadance! I hope upping your dose of dulera helps give you some relief. For the past week I have been dealing with a cold which has caused a major asthma flare up. I've been in my yellow zone as well. I've upped my doses of symbicort and ventolin(albuterol) but I'm still having a hard time. I don't want to have to take prednisone either. My asthma educator suggested singulair in addition to my regular meds. I hope we both start to feel better. It's hard to feel short of breath all the time.

iCadance 11-26-2012 06:14 PM

I have had to increase the use of my rescue inhaler. And I do have a nebulizer at home. I should have done a treatment last night but I didn't. My husband even told me to but I just used my inhaler. I will be doing a treatment tonight and hope that helps more. I agree with you the nebulizer seems to get more meds into my lungs as well! I am starting to second guess myself though a out having a URI because my son who has asthma as well is having problems. And we are the only two people out of 6 that are sick. Who knows though.

[QUOTE=MountainReader;5094898]Are you using your rescue inhaler frequently? Do you have a nebulizer at home? Sometimes, I find that the nebulizer gives me a bit of a boost in getting the meds further into my lungs.

I've been in a similiar situation. I got a flare that started in September and I'm still dealing with a lingering cough. I first upped my Advair dosage, then I eventually switched to Dulera 200 and added Singulair. I also tried a couple rounds of antibiotics. It started as a true asthma flare, but I think an URI creeped in while I was down from the asthma. I also get Tessalon Perle to help calm the cough.

I know how miserable these flares are. I hope you feel better soon.:wave:[/QUOTE]

MountainReader 11-26-2012 11:05 PM

Changes in weather and seasons can also be a trigger. When I went to see my doc in October, he looked back at my records and said I'd been there almost a year to date in the past years for my asthma/coughing issues.

Also, air quality in my area is really poor. You might check the monitoring of your local air quality to see if that is a problem in your area.

Allergens can also be a big trigger.

iCadance 11-27-2012 06:26 AM

I just checked the air quality and it is in the orange for the next two days. I am starting to think it is a mixture of everything from being sick to my asthma giving me more problems then normal when I am sick I am guessing it is cuz of the bad air quality. And that would make sense while our son is coughing more because of the air. It sucks when it is a bunch of stuff combined. Sick and air quality cuz it just makes it horrible.

[QUOTE=MountainReader;5095206]Changes in weather and seasons can also be a trigger. When I went to see my doc in October, he looked back at my records and said I'd been there almost a year to date in the past years for my asthma/coughing issues.

Also, air quality in my area is really poor. You might check the monitoring of your local air quality to see if that is a problem in your area.

Allergens can also be a big trigger.[/QUOTE]