It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
(female)

iCadance HB UseriCadance HB UseriCadance HB User
Getting sick

I hate getting URI. It always makes my asthma 20 times worse. And it always hangs out for months. I have had to up my use with my rescue inhaler and treatments. And even with that I am still in my yellow zone. I cough whenever I am up moving around and am SOB even to the point it wakes me up at night. Is there anything I can do at home to help besides what I am doing now? I take two puffs of dulera every morning and night. I am hoping I won't have to go to my asthma dr but it is looking like I might have to make the trip if I can't figure something else to do to help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
(male)

Capttom48 HB UserCapttom48 HB User
Re: Getting sick

I know that you are reluctant to do so, but a trip to your asthma doctor might be necessary. You could also call the office to see what they advise.

Last edited by Capttom48; 11-26-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
(female)

I called them they are upping my dulera to 200 and I am starting singular he is hoping to get it under control before I need perednizone. Which I am trying to avoid because it makes me sick. He said if I get worse to call them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capttom48 View Post
I know that you are reluctant to do so, but a trip to your asthma doctor might be necessary. You could also call the office to see what they advise.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Are you using your rescue inhaler frequently? Do you have a nebulizer at home? Sometimes, I find that the nebulizer gives me a bit of a boost in getting the meds further into my lungs.

I've been in a similiar situation. I got a flare that started in September and I'm still dealing with a lingering cough. I first upped my Advair dosage, then I eventually switched to Dulera 200 and added Singulair. I also tried a couple rounds of antibiotics. It started as a true asthma flare, but I think an URI creeped in while I was down from the asthma. I also get Tessalon Perle to help calm the cough.

I know how miserable these flares are. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
(female)

Trinity12 HB UserTrinity12 HB User

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time iCadance! I hope upping your dose of dulera helps give you some relief. For the past week I have been dealing with a cold which has caused a major asthma flare up. I've been in my yellow zone as well. I've upped my doses of symbicort and ventolin(albuterol) but I'm still having a hard time. I don't want to have to take prednisone either. My asthma educator suggested singulair in addition to my regular meds. I hope we both start to feel better. It's hard to feel short of breath all the time.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
(female)

I have had to increase the use of my rescue inhaler. And I do have a nebulizer at home. I should have done a treatment last night but I didn't. My husband even told me to but I just used my inhaler. I will be doing a treatment tonight and hope that helps more. I agree with you the nebulizer seems to get more meds into my lungs as well! I am starting to second guess myself though a out having a URI because my son who has asthma as well is having problems. And we are the only two people out of 6 that are sick. Who knows though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
Are you using your rescue inhaler frequently? Do you have a nebulizer at home? Sometimes, I find that the nebulizer gives me a bit of a boost in getting the meds further into my lungs.

I've been in a similiar situation. I got a flare that started in September and I'm still dealing with a lingering cough. I first upped my Advair dosage, then I eventually switched to Dulera 200 and added Singulair. I also tried a couple rounds of antibiotics. It started as a true asthma flare, but I think an URI creeped in while I was down from the asthma. I also get Tessalon Perle to help calm the cough.

I know how miserable these flares are. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Changes in weather and seasons can also be a trigger. When I went to see my doc in October, he looked back at my records and said I'd been there almost a year to date in the past years for my asthma/coughing issues.

Also, air quality in my area is really poor. You might check the monitoring of your local air quality to see if that is a problem in your area.

Allergens can also be a big trigger.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
(female)

I just checked the air quality and it is in the orange for the next two days. I am starting to think it is a mixture of everything from being sick to my asthma giving me more problems then normal when I am sick I am guessing it is cuz of the bad air quality. And that would make sense while our son is coughing more because of the air. It sucks when it is a bunch of stuff combined. Sick and air quality cuz it just makes it horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
Changes in weather and seasons can also be a trigger. When I went to see my doc in October, he looked back at my records and said I'd been there almost a year to date in the past years for my asthma/coughing issues.

Also, air quality in my area is really poor. You might check the monitoring of your local air quality to see if that is a problem in your area.

Allergens can also be a big trigger.

The following user gives a hug of support to iCadance:
MountainReader (11-27-2012)
Closed Thread