It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
(male)

uoymert HB User
Wheezing after running

Hi,

I've started noticed this and I went to see my doctor which there wasn't any help at all. I am a runner and I can call myself very fit. But during the summer, I there was a couple of weeks I had a very bad cough, and I often got woken up (which of course, I went to see the doctor as well but he told me just wait and see if it died down in a few weeks or not, which it did). But since after that, when ever I go for a run, and after the run, I can hear myself start to wheeze. To describe the wheeze, you have to be in a quiet place and listen for it in order to be able to hear it. I was also told to get one of these peak flow meter to check my peak flow to check what is going on. I did it a few time,. which (before running) the average is about 650 to 700 (EU scale, I am in the UK) and after running is about the same (sometimes, there might be an odd reading like 630ish, but the instruction is to do it 3 times which the rest most likely to be inbetween 650 to 700, EU scale). Which I was told by a professional nurse that the reading is pretty good.

The question, should I worry about the wheeze?

About myself I am 180cm tall and 60kg (I know, I am thin, but my bmi is in the heathy zone.... just) and 22 years old.

Last edited by uoymert; 11-29-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
(male)

uoymert HB User
Re: Wheezing after running

Forgot the mention, in the best of my knowledge, I never had asthma symptom or any kind of asthma attack since I was born.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
(male)

uoymert HB User

Also, after the run, I only have this light wheeze, I didn't experience any cough, or other problems. On the note of my runtime, my runtime is still top of the class compare with the fitness test standard.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

If you had an infection over the summer, it very well could have been a trigger for asthma. It isn't uncommon to develop it as an adult.

I don't rely just on peak flow readings. If you aren't feeling right you should go see a doctor. Inhalers can be used prior to your running to help "pretreat" so you don't have the difficulties with the running. Wheezing is never normal. It would be better to get treated before it gets worse.

Good luck.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
(male)

uoymert HB User

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The thing is, the doctor was not really helpful at all. He even asked me, "What do you want me to say? Or, what do you want me to suggest?". (I was not being rude to him, but that's what he said after the conversation about what happened). He told me to use one to these peak flow meter to check what actually happened.

The thing is, I am starting to question is it actually wheezing? What I've gathered (I know, the internet is not the best place), is for most people, it is quite loud and is able to hear it even in a noisy background. But for me, I've to be in a quiet room and "listen for it" to be able to pick it up. So, I just wonder is it just me or something else.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would think it would be heard much more easily than that if it was an actual wheeze. They are pretty distinctive for the most part. But if you really want to investigate it further, a pulmonologist would be your best bet.

Closed Thread