HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Asthma (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/asthma/)
-   -   No energy :-( (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/asthma/930437-no-energy.html)

YueMeiqi 12-05-2012 04:17 AM

No energy :-(

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how you cope with the fatigue after an attack? I was up from 3 am - 6 am the last two nights and although I'm not short of breath now, I'm still feeling so tired. I stayed in bed basicly all day yesterday, but it didn't seem to make any difference, so I was wondering whether it's better to go to work tomorrow, hoping that this will distract me?

MeezerWheezer 12-06-2012 09:44 PM

Re: No energy :-(

[QUOTE=YueMeiqi;5099520]Hi everyone,

I was wondering how you cope with the fatigue after an attack? I was up from 3 am - 6 am the last two nights and although I'm not short of breath now, I'm still feeling so tired. I stayed in bed basicly all day yesterday, but it didn't seem to make any difference, so I was wondering whether it's better to go to work tomorrow, hoping that this will distract me?[/QUOTE]

It sounds like your asthma is not controlled. Are you on a daily maintenance medication, like Flovent or Advair? I would suggest talking to your Doctor about your medications. I have only experienced fatigue from my asthma when going through a bad flare up.

Hope you feel better soon.

YueMeiqi 12-07-2012 02:50 AM

I'm on Advair (1-0-1), low dosed theophylline (2x125 mg) and theophylline drops for emergencies (300 mg). I had a flare up five weeks ago, during which I started taking preventive medication, followed/caused by mild pneumonia (it wasn't diagnosed until a week later, but afterwards I wondered whether it hadn't actually been the cause for my worsening asthma). It took me two weeks to get better, but after that I felt great and could exercise as usually. I really don't know what's causing the recent flare up and also I'm not exactly sure what's considered well-controlled asthma - no attacks at all or occassional ones that get relieved quickly by your meds?

Titchou 12-07-2012 04:12 AM

Well controlled is an attack once or twice a year at most - at least to me it is. The goal is no attacks but sometimes environmental things just work against you (like the August we had 12 straight days of over 100 degree temps and not a drop of rain). I've has asthma for about 16 years. Once we finally got me under control and meds regulated - about a year - I've only had 3 attacks that I recall. 2 due to weather issues. One due to me forgetting to order my Flovent on time! I am currently on one puff of Flovent a day and albuterol before cardio or as needed. Those 3 times are the only ones - besides cardio - that I've used my albuterol.

MeezerWheezer 12-07-2012 07:30 AM

I use my albuterol once or twice a month and my asthma is well controlled. I don't have full blown asthma attacks anymore, but I'll have some minor chest tightness or congestion from allergies and such. My Doctor said that's fine for me. I would suggest having that discussion with your Doctor. I was diagnosed about a year ago, so I would still consider myself relatively new to the whole asthma thing. When I was first diagnosed after bronchitis, I was completely out of control. I was using my albuterol every day and had trouble sleeping. I imagine pneumonia would really mess you up. If I were to get sick like that I would probably need increased medication for a least a few weeks. Many of us increase our medications if we are ill. If I get a cold, I'm supposed to double my Flovent dosage. It really helps to hold off a flare up.

YueMeiqi 12-07-2012 01:32 PM

I went to see my GP today and she said that my lungs sounded clear and my PEF was fine. I was feeling alright then - trouble comes at night and I suppose for asthma it's normal to have a good lung function between attacks? Anyway I'm going to see a pulmonologist next week and discuss things with him. Thanks to all of you for your help!