It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

jojokdz HB User
asthma and anxiety??

I never had asthma before.. I have coughed for many many years from October until spring.. then it would clear. Just thought I got bronchitis every year.. finally found out it was asthma after going to a pulmanary Dr.... I do have acid reflux and PVC'S ( extra beat) with my heart which causes me to get short of breath too. But sometimes, I get short of breath, its like A funky feeling in my upper chest, breathlessness??? I had thought maybe it was a PVC? But I have severe anxiety, which I AM being treated for.. so between it all I have this short of breath thing sometimes all day off and on.. I do my inhaler, and for a short time, it seems to help but sometimes it doesn't .. is this how asthma works??

Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: asthma and anxiety??

No, if your meds are working the asthma should be under control. What meds are you on and how often?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
(female)

jojokdz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
No, if your meds are working the asthma should be under control. What meds are you on and how often?
h.
I am on Qvar 2 puffs in the morning.. and a rescue inhaler whenever i need it. I am on so many meds for other things.. there are days where it doesn't happen. Everytime this time of year when the weather changes my sinuses get cranking and flowing down the back of my throat, and I cough and it used to be all the time! But with these meds it has calmed it down alot! But the post nasal drip is there now so I do some coughing.. the asthma inhalers help but I have this anxiety!

Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

That's odd. According to my asthma doc, who teaches at the med school here, if you are on 2 puffs a day, one should be PM and one AM. If you add one puff, it should be PM and then a fourth one in a day would be added in the AM. But you should always be taking at least one puff at night. I'm on one puff of Flovent a day and I take it in the AM.

make sure you know what to do when you have a flare, get a cold, whatever and make sure you know what med to take exactly when.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-11-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
(female)

jojokdz HB User

[QUOTE=Titchou;5102725]That's odd. According to my asthma doc, who teaches at the med school here, if you are on 2 puffs a day, one should be PM and one AM. If you add one puff, it should be PM and then a fourth one in a day would be added in the AM. But you should always be taking at least one puff at night. I'm on one puff of Flovent a day and I take it in the AM.

QUOTE]

Its Qvar.. it says 2 puffs a day in maintenance, and if needed 2 more puffs can be done too.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-11-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

I would ask your pulmo if you should be doing it in the evening instead. Just make sure you are doing it according to the action plan you were given. If you are having trouble, then the 2 puffs AM are not adequate and you need plan to know what to do when that happens.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

It can be tricky to tell the difference between asthma and an anxiety attack if you have both. You can feel really breathless during an anxiety attack, without actually BEING constricted. Do you have a peak flow meter? One quick puff will tell you if you're really constricted or just having an anxiety attack (and it can be reassuring to see that you're moving more air than you thought you were). Coughing can irritate your airways too - has your doctor given you a cough medication to use as needed? If you can break the coughing cycle, your airways get a chance to relax on their own. Talk to your doctor about it.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
(female)

3sillykidsnadog HB User

I am having the exact same issue! I'm 43. Never been diagnosed with asthma or anxiety before. This past October I started getting these episodes where I felt I could not breath. Then panic set in. After all the test my doctor told me I do have mild asthma and I also suffer sever anxiety/panic attacks. He also thinks my hormones may be playing a role. I have Symbicourt I'm to use in the morning and at bedtime. I also have some rescue inhaler. I told him it was hard to determine when to use the rescue inhaler. He told me that if it is asthma then my rescue inhaler will help. If it's not asthma there won't be any relief but if I did use the inhaler it wouldn't hurt. It really is a tough time!

Closed Thread