It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
(male)

rob1986 HB User
Asthma or Cold?

I have exercise induced asthma. Its often not a problem for me. About three years ago I used to work out and exercise a lot, and I mostly didn't have problems. Since then, however, I have barely done anything fitness-related the past three years. As an attempt to get back into it I went for two rather strenuous (for me) runs about three days ago. The second run in particular left me rather wheezy, however drinking some tea calmed things down.

Anyways, the past couple days since I have felt a little tight and congested in the chest. I don't know if this is related to the exercise or perhaps a cold brewing? I don't have any other cold symptoms, no runny nose, coughing, sneezing, or high temperature. I feel fine, actually, except for my chest. I'm not wheezing or anything, and can breathe fine, its mostly just discomfort.

My big question I suppose is is the chest tightness/congestion normal for someone with exercise induced asthma? I just want to make sure I don't have a cold and wont potentially be infecting people I'm around. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Asthma or Cold?

Could be either one. You really should be using a rescue inhaler before exercise. That will keep you from having these symptoms as as result of the cardio.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
(female)

iCadance HB UseriCadance HB UseriCadance HB User
I agree with this. Using your rescue inhaler 15-30 min before will help you not have symptoms from cardio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Could be either one. You really should be using a rescue inhaler before exercise. That will keep you from having these symptoms as as result of the cardio.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

Sometimes that chest congestion is the first sign I'm getting a cold, personally. But I would try to pace yourself getting back into running and use your rescue inhaler as others have said.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi..since you do have intrinsic/exercised inducesd asthma, are you on a preventer med as well?

You could very well have a virus that you might be fighting and your lungs will be in more of a reactive state....but there still can be things that are in the environment that could irritate anyone's lungs. Add that and asthma....could be in part what you're experiencing.
But do try the rescue before you exercise and see if it continues.

If you have to use your rescue more, definitely time to see your doc and get reevaluated.

q

Last edited by quincy; 01-10-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
(male)

rob1986 HB User

Thanks for the responses so far. A day later and I feel I haven't changed much. Don't feel sick at all, but my chest is tight and there is a small amount of pain. If I don't see improvement tomorrow I will be going to the doctor.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

sounds like a good plan. Better than letting it go in case you feel worse (and it being the weekend). Let us know the outcome of your appointment.

q

Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
(male)

rather HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Yes you must use any inhaler for safety it will surely help if you have asthma.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
(male)

rob1986 HB User

So the doc seemed to think it was my asthma acting up. He said I didn't look or sound sick, although theres still the chance I could have some kind of virus (I'm still not getting any cold symptoms, and considering this chest problem started around Tuesday I think its doubtful I have a cold or virus). He agreed with most of the posters here that I should use the rescue inhaler before exercising, which I will start doing once I'm better!

My asthma wasn't too severe, but he prescribed me some prednisone as well as albuterol for my nebulizer. After the first day of using them I'm starting to feel a bit better.

Question, this is my first time using albuterol in a nebulizer (previously I had used xopenex) and I felt like it aggravated my chest a bit. It wasn't unbearable or anything, but it was uncomfortable for a few hours (it did clear things up in there, however). Is that normal?

Hopefully Ill be getting better soon. Thanks for the replies here =)

Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good to hear you're starting to feel better.

Prednisone, as in systemic pills?

Are you not on any preventer steroid inhalers?

I've never used a nebuliser. Hope someone will be able to help with that info.

q

Last edited by quincy; 01-13-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Closed Thread