It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
(female)

iCadance HB UseriCadance HB UseriCadance HB User
Sick!!!

I have been fighting a cold for awhile. Starting last night the body aches chills and sweeting and chills again with headache fever cough and more pain in my chest when coughing and breathing in deep. Today I am coughing have fever still with headache chills body aches all the above. I am weak tired and not liking this one bit lol. One of my sons also has fever headache chest pain when breathing or coughing and I don't know if I should take him in or wait. He does not have asthma by the way! His O2 is either 95 or low 90s it seems to drop more at night. I have checked my o2 and it is around the same 94ish and below it sometimes goes to 95. If I fall asleep I wake up gasping for air I don't think it is my asthma that is causing this I think I am just either slowing my breathing way down or stopping lol. The joys of being sick with asthma right. Hope everyone else is feeling much better!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to iCadance:
Trinity12 (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
(female)

Trinity12 HB UserTrinity12 HB User
Re: Sick!!!

I hope that you and your son feel better soon! A cold with asthma is horrible! I hope that it doesn't get any worse for you or your son. I would be careful about the 02 levels. You don't want it to get too low. Do you have a nebulizer? I need to get one.

I've been fighting the start of a cold myself. I had a slight cough, chest congestion, stuffy nose and some sneezing. Today, I felt mostly fine except for having to blow my nose more often. Tonight, I can feel a little chest congestion beginning and a little tightness in my throat. I've been on singulair for a little while and extra doses of symbicort.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Do you have a nebulizer at home? When I had the flu last week, my doctor had me start using the nebulizer regularly to help keep the asthma from getting even worse. With all the coughing, it makes using the inhalers properly more difficult. The good thing was that the nebulizer Albuterol was so much cheaper ($4) than the inhaler. He also prescribed me a prescription cough medicine which helped me get some more rest while the flu ran its course.

Unfortunately, the coughing kept getting worse even after the fever and body aches were better. That is why I added Pulmicort to the Dulera and Singulair.

If you don't have one, it might be worth calling your doctor up and asking about one. With insurance, they can deliver it to your door within hours. The worst part is leaving the house to get to the pharmacy when you feel so bad.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
(female)

iCadance HB UseriCadance HB UseriCadance HB User
Yes I do have a nebulizer at home that I have has to use. We ended up finding out two of our four kids had influenza A and my husband has walking pneumonia. Everyone is on the mend including me. Me all however have a bad bad cough!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
Do you have a nebulizer at home? When I had the flu last week, my doctor had me start using the nebulizer regularly to help keep the asthma from getting even worse. With all the coughing, it makes using the inhalers properly more difficult. The good thing was that the nebulizer Albuterol was so much cheaper ($4) than the inhaler. He also prescribed me a prescription cough medicine which helped me get some more rest while the flu ran its course.

Unfortunately, the coughing kept getting worse even after the fever and body aches were better. That is why I added Pulmicort to the Dulera and Singulair.

If you don't have one, it might be worth calling your doctor up and asking about one. With insurance, they can deliver it to your door within hours. The worst part is leaving the house to get to the pharmacy when you feel so bad.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
(female)

kitkat4 HB User

My doctor says any O2 under 90 is serious and needs to be checked out. I would also strongly advocate for chest x-rays that could show more serious issues like pneumonia or a pneumothorax (collapsed lung, of which I have had two). I also have asthma. The first pneumothorax started with a respiratory infection and lots of coughing, and the nebulizer treatment helped and made me feel better, but the doctor took an x-ray just and case, and a good thing she did. I did tell doctors the antibiotics were not working and I just felt sick and different and out of breathe.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Oh wow, that's a LOT for one family to have to deal with. Hope the meds do their thing and that you're all on the mend. While recovery can take a while...try not to do too much during the process.

Are you also on a preventer steroid inhaler?

q

Last edited by quincy; 01-15-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Closed Thread