It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
(female)

snorkler55 HB User
Angry Advair to Symbicort waiting time

Had a flare caused by respiratory infection. Originally started with Biaxin and 6 day prednisone dose, followed by advair 500 for 9 days so far. Less wheezing for sure, less phlegm but very tired. Was on Symbicort 200 previously for a year and asthma so well controlled I was off everything for 3 months with no problems till the respiratory infection hit. I had no side effects with Symbicort 200 but doctor felt Advair was a better drug. Anyone else had tiredness with Advair and do I have to wait to clear it out of my system before going back on Symbicort? Are they the same category of drug?
I also take medication for reflux so maybe it is a bad combination with Advair.
All advice is welcome, I am not normally this tired.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Advair to Symbicort waiting time

Hi,

Welcome to HealthBoards. I've had turns on Advair, Symbicort and Dulera.

In my case, I was on Advair 500 for years, then got my asthma under control and was able to wean off for about 8 months. Last September, I had to go back on the Advair 500 when I had a flare. I was switched to Dulera a couple months ago. There was no wait time. I just took the Dulera at the next scheduled time. I did the same thing a few years ago when I went from Advair to Symbicort.

Personally, I found Advair worked well for me for many years. I have a chronic cough that is hard to control during flares. I switched to Dulera to see if changing up the meds makes any difference.

I had the flu over New Years. It flared my Asthma too. I'm now on Dulera, Pulmicort and Singulair in addition to using my Nebulizer for the Albuterol.

Your tiredness could be the Advair, in which case it may not be the best choice for you. Chronic asthma flares also can also really wear you out and make you tired as well.

There are a high percentage of asthmatics who have acid reflux issues. Acid can also trigger asthma problems as well. I have severe acid reflux issues. I have had no problems with my acid reflux medications mixing with my asthma medications. In fact, when I'm flaring, my Pulmonologist has me take additional supplemental OTC meds for reflux as well. For example, I take Dexilant as my PPI and supplement with Zantac or Gaviscon at times.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread