It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
(female)

Trinity12 HB UserTrinity12 HB User
Chest Congestion

What else can I can do for chest congestion if nothing I try seems to work? I was able to get two more weeks worth of singulair samples and took one last night and today. I had taken my last dose Friday before I got the samples. I've taken a cough suppressant/decongestant (mucus and phlegm) medicine, extra symbicort and ventolin. The later it gets the more chest congestion builds up. I'm not sure what else to do. It's too early to take more cough medicine since it's 2 tablespoons every 6 hours. I have two hours left before I can take it again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Chest Congestion

My doctor just told me to add Mucinex. I also get prescriptions for promethazine DM which is a prescription cough syrup. They don't fully do the job, but they do help a bit. At least the cough syrup helps me go short times without coughing too much which gives me a short respite.

I also have been using my nebulizer more than my inhaler.

Are you using a humidifier? It may help.

Despite how miserable it is, you are doing many things right.

I'm on the Singulair now as well in addition to my inhalers. On its own, I don't find it to be great, but in combination with the inhalers itreally does help.

Hope you feel better.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
Trinity12 (01-24-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
(male)

tmwccs HB Usertmwccs HB User

Have you ever been given prednisone. It always works the best with me. Drink plenty of water, that tends to loosen up the thick mucous.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
(female)

MountainReader: I haven't been using a humidifier because the place I live doesn't have enough room in order to use one. I do have a vicks vaposteam inhaler but I have run out of the vicks pads for it. I really do need to get more of those pads. Would putting vicks on my chest help at all? I'll definitely look into mucinex too.

tmwccs: I will keep on drinking as much water as I can. I have had predinsone in the past. I hope that I don't have to go that route again. The windchill has been really bad lately so I have stayed inside, but I live in an old place that is freezing in the winter even with the heat turned way up. Cold air is one of my triggers.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
(female)

Does burning in my chest just because of the chest congestion or is a sign of an infection?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Vics may help open up your nasal airway a bit. I'm not sure about the rest of the chest congestion. It probably couldn't help.

I don't know about the "burning" feeling and infection. I do know that when my asthma is in a bad flare, it feels like a "burning" sensation when I breathe. In my case, my lungs usually sound pretty bad from asthma when this happens.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
Trinity12 (01-24-2013)
Closed Thread