It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
(female)

allielb HB User
Viral induced asthma in adults

HI all, I'm new here and desperate for advice. I'll try to give you the short version. I'm 29/female and have had asthma most of my life. Some environmental allergies and took allergy shots for 5 years for pollen/grass/trees. I rarely have allergy symptoms though. Most of the time I forget I even have asthma. I do intense gym glasses 3-4 times week including spinning, stepping, kick-boxing, etc without trouble and never need my ventolin. My peak flows are extremely high- 144% of predicted values for my sex/height. PFT's, whether I'm on a daily inhaled steroid or taking nothing, are about 110%.
My problem right now is that I only have asthma symptoms during a cold and always deteriorate until I start prednisone. This happens 2-3 times a year. During those flare-ups, I go from almost normal peak flows to values at 50-70% of normal very quickly. I've tried every possible med combination and dose schedule of the following meds: Advair, Alvesco, Symicort and have been on a daily inhaled steroid for the last 3 years or so. So when I do get sick, its already built up in my system. I've been on Singular for over 10 years. I don't tolerate Flovent. I am referred to a respirologist however it is a year wait list (Canadian healthcare for ya!). From what I can tell, the only treatment for viral induced asthma is prednisone but I wonder if anyone has any thoughts/experience? Thanks!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
(female)

Jaydell6 HB User
Re: Viral induced asthma in adults

You have succinctly stated my asthma history -we are twins. I have had it since childhood and not much was known. I had severe bouts and would often end up in ER for oxygen, Theophaline, and inhalation treatment until I met an asthmatic MD who, in desperation, turned to a homeopathic route and was finally well enough to resume her medical practice. She was in a different city, but the word got around that she was a miracle worker with asthma. I went to her 25 years ago and was literally made very healthy. Two visits and some tinctures and I was really purring. Fast forward, she is 85, sold her practice to
a totally different type of doctor. I have started going down hill. It usually starts with probably exposure to a cold virus, ends up in my chest, then bronchitis and if not careful pneumonia. First experience came with Prednisone this year 40 mg for about six weeks. My mind was shot and therefore didn't dare drive, becane depressed and lethargic. My eye sight was also affected-
became very blurry. Hope to never have that stuff again. Now I'm with an allergist on Symbicort and going down the same path as I had experienced years before only on drugs they found out later to cause serious problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

There is a sticky at the top of this Asthma page on Asthma Action Plans. I suggest you both read it. It's very informative.

Next, when you first feel a cold coming on, what do you do? Do you add puffs of an asthma med? What other meds do you take? It's very important to get that going BEFORE you have a full blown cold.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
(female)

allielb HB User

Thanks for the responses!
Titchou, I did read the info on asthma action plans and I'm quite lucky that we have a great asthma clinic in my area (only RT's no Drs) that helps create plans. We have made countless action plans but the problem is that my only trigger is colds/viral infections so we have to wait until I get sick to try out the action plans. As soon as i get a cold, I put the plan into action but so far nothing has prevented the progression to required oral prednisone.
I've done Advair/Alvesco, just Alvesco and most recently Symibcort. During my 2 most recent colds I bumped the Symbicort to 8 puffs daily plus Ventolin every 2-4 hours to keep my airway open. During my most recent cold I was at a Step gym class on Friday and on Prednisone 4 days later.
As I mentioned in my OP, I'm always, always on Singulair and have always been on an inhaled daily steroid med for the last 3 years with Symbicort being the most recent one we're trying.
Other meds that I take include Tecta and Synthroid.
Any thoughts?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Do you take anything for the cold? I am a real believer in Alka Seltzer plus for colds. If I start it the minute I get the sneezes, feel the least bit stuffy, or funky, then the cold is stopped before it becomes full blown. And I carry 2 packets of it in my purse all the time so I can take them at work or wherever I am.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
(female)

allielb HB User

I generally just take a decongestant if needed.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Well, that's not doing you much good as you already have a full blown cold by then. I'd strongly suggest trying various of the meds out there - alka sletzer plus for colds, zicam, etc the moment you even think you may be getting a cold. Why not stop the cold rather than try to treat it after the fact?

Closed Thread