It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
(female)

filly1 HB User
coughing after getting over the flu

In the past week I was knocked on my butt with the flu- i have gotten better but i am left with inflamed lungs that causes me to cough most ofthe day and night (I have asthma for many years- usually take Flovent and didn't need a rescue inhaler until i got this flu); I don't want to take Prednisone although when I was younger it was a magic pill that helped open my lungs and relieve my cough. When I took prednisone 10 years ago it made me extremely jittery and now that I am older (65), i know that the side effects would be worse. I am using my rescue inhaler and my flovent. Does anybody have any suggestions for this cough or will i ultimately need Prednisone to deal with the lung inflammation. Thank in advance for any and all suggestions.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: coughing after getting over the flu

Have you gotten a scrip for codeine cough syrup? That was the only thing that saved me when I had viral bronchitis earlier this year. Once the cough was under control, the lung issue went away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
(female)

filly1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Have you gotten a scrip for codeine cough syrup? That was the only thing that saved me when I had viral bronchitis earlier this year. Once the cough was under control, the lung issue went away.
unfortunately i cant take codeine, it makes me sick to my stomach--- thanks anyway though and i am glad you found something that worked for you!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Getting a cortizone shot in my big toe joint wasn't something I wanted to do because of how bad it hurts but the toe finally hurt so bad that I did it. Maybe if you took it with food and right at bed time it wouldn't be so bad. I does tastes pretty good (Cherry flavored)!

Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
(female)

filly1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Getting a cortizone shot in my big toe joint wasn't something I wanted to do because of how bad it hurts but the toe finally hurt so bad that I did it. Maybe if you took it with food and right at bed time it wouldn't be so bad. I does tastes pretty good (Cherry flavored)!
thing is it makes me barf!

Old 03-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

It took me over a month to get the coughing to subside after I got the flu on New Year's Eve day.

For the cough syrup, I don't like the codeine ones unless I absolutely have to because I can't work when I'm on it and my coughing is horrible during the day too. I get a bit of relief with the promethazine DM/phenegren DM. It is also an anti-nausea med a swell so you might find it helpful. It isn't as strong as the codeine but it may help.

I also added additional asthma meds for a while. Nebulizer for the Albuterol instead of just the puffer. Dulera. Pulmicort.

My Pulmonologist doesn't want me on Prednisone until I get below 50% of my normal peak flow so I did everything I could outside of that.

I used my humidifier regularly. I also have some essential oils called Breathe to help as well.

Hope you feel better soon. Chronic coughing like this can be miserable.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
(female)

filly1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
It took me over a month to get the coughing to subside after I got the flu on New Year's Eve day.

For the cough syrup, I don't like the codeine ones unless I absolutely have to because I can't work when I'm on it and my coughing is horrible during the day too. I get a bit of relief with the promethazine DM/phenegren DM. It is also an anti-nausea med a swell so you might find it helpful. It isn't as strong as the codeine but it may help.

I also added additional asthma meds for a while. Nebulizer for the Albuterol instead of just the puffer. Dulera. Pulmicort.

My Pulmonologist doesn't want me on Prednisone until I get below 50% of my normal peak flow so I did everything I could outside of that.

I used my humidifier regularly. I also have some essential oils called Breathe to help as well.

Hope you feel better soon. Chronic coughing like this can be miserable.
Hi- Thanks for your response; my doctor called in Medrol Dose Pak for me but i don't want to talke it unless i have to. My lung function itself is pretty normal when i use a peak flow meter to measure it, but it is just the coughing that is difficult to deal with. Perhaps something with DM in it would be helpful. Again thanks for your suggestions.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Try the old fashioned remedy - a hot toddy.

Last edited by Titchou; 03-11-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Closed Thread