It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
(female)

pljohns HB User
Having problems getting over URI

Has anyone else had a lot of problems getting over a URI that set you asthma off?

I started getting sick 2 weeks ago-peek flow number down by about 10 each day, but still green. Work was terrible and I was too busy to get loose and go to the doctor.

Last Sat, I started getting laryngitis and by Sun, couldn't talk at all. I saw one of the docs that I work with on Monday of last week-got a steroid shot, medrol dose pack and antibiotics and she told me to bump the nebs(duoneb) up to every 4 hours for the next 2 days. I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic that effected my heart rate and breathing so I knew I couldn't handle a duoneb on top of it, so I had to wait a full 24 hours for it to get out of my system. By then, it had taken hold good! She put me on Avalox and I've continued with the nebs (sometimes albuteral alone, sometimes duo neb) from Wed-Fri of last week. I was feeling better on Sat, but worn out by Sun.

I finished the medrol pack and have 1 more day on antibiotics and still can't get rid of this stuff! She put me on a second round of prednisone starting last night and my peak flows are back where they should be, but I have laryngitis again. I'm begining to wonder if this will ever go away.

We were finally able to get my ins. to approve a CT (my asthma doc has been trying to get that done for almost 3 years now). It came back clean-evidence of scarring from a fungal infection I must have had as a child. The radiologist said it was not new scarring and everything else was clear. At least I know that now.

I'm still coughing, can't talk and am just tired today. We have MAJOR stuff going on at work and I can't get off right now. At least I have an understanding boss and if i get to the point I can't go any longer, then I go home. I know I need to take a few days off, but that's not an option right now. Has anyone else had this mess and how long did it take you to get rid of it? Guess I'm just feeling down right now. This is the first time I've been THIS sick since I was diagnosed with asthma(adult onset).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Having problems getting over URI

I had what sounds like the same thing - it was viral bronchitis. Doc said it lasts 28 days and it sure did. I sucked down 2 bottles of Cherru-tusin cough syrup. It was the only thing that would stop the cough - esp at night.

Closed Thread