It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Summer wildfires and asthma

It has been almost 5 months now that I've had my asthma under control... after almost 6 months of it being out of control. I'm really worried about the summer wildfires though. I'm getting ready to spend a couple weeks in an area that has a large wildfire not too far away. I know the air particulates can't be great there. It was a wildfire in a neighboring state that actually triggered my asthma last September. As summer progresses we will have more wildfire issues in my state anyway. The mountains are extremely dry right now. Even if I wasn't heading near an area with the fires, I know I'll be facing them at some point this summer.

I've gone back on my Dulera twice a day. I'd cut back to once a day a couple months ago because I was doing well. I'm still on the Xolair. I refilled my Ventolin and will have two good emergency inhalers with me. I plan to stay indoors or in a car with re-circulated air the entire time. It is too hot to be outside anyway so that won't be hard. I still worry about something triggering my asthma. I'll be careful and follow my asthma action plan. I'll probably do a bit of 'pretreating' before I get close to the area even. The nervousness still persists. I really hate the cycles of asthma flares that I seem to face most years.

Does anyone else get nervous even when you are doing well if you know you are facing a potential trigger?

Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Summer wildfires and asthma

There is just no escaping it. Even though the wildfire is an entire state away, I now have unhealthy smoky air quality in my area from it. I woke this morning with major tightness in my chest, even with the air on and windows closed. Sometimes there is no fighting mother nature. I guess it is back to regular use of the albuterol and praying this doesn't flare into something worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The smoke in air can be very irritating to lungs and bronchials. You might pick up a couple of N-95 rated masks to wear when it is smoky and you have to be outside in it. Those are masks specifically designed for particulates in smoke, and may help to keep the asthma from being triggered. They can be purchased at most drugstores and home improvement stores.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
MountainReader (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Yeah... Good news. The wildfire is finally under control.

Boo....Bad news. I woke today feeling tight and later found out there is a wildfire in California and the smoke is now drifting into neighboring states. The mountains are a bit hazy with the bad air today. For those of us who are very sensitive, a little haze means problems.

I seem to be spending most of my time indoors this summer so far.

My asthma action plan is working though. I've just stepped up treatments to prevent things from getting bad. I hate having any symptoms though, especially when it could easily trigger a flare. I have to keep positive thoughts though and rely on what I know to be as preventative as possible.

Hope most of you in the west are weathering things better than I have.

Reply Reply