It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
(female)

cazzaclarke HB User
Coming off beclometasone help please

Hi, I've been on beclometasone for approx 8 years but have recently developed thrush in my throat which keeps recurring as soon as I stop taking the medicine. The doc has therefore said to try coming off the inhaler to see if it improves. When I asked her if I should come off the inhaler slowly she replied "oh no just come off it". I thought that was dangerous with steroids to just stop? The dosage I'm taking is one puff in the morning & two in the evening of 100 mcg version. Can anyone please shed some light as to the safe way to come off a steroid inhaler. Many thanks

Old 07-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Coming off beclometasone help please

You can just stop it. It isn't like oral steroids. Two entirely different things. The inhaled version doesn't get into your system like the oral ones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Sometimes the type of inhaler can improve the thrush. I got it from the propellant kind, but haven't from the type that I have to draw in ...Pulmicort.

Maybe ask to switch before you go off of it.

As well...are you gargling with water after you use it? Are you brushing your teeth, tongue, cheeks and upper palate after as well? That all helps.

I think that since you've been using the preventer for 8 years and then stopping without any other replacement, that can set you up for worsening symptoms of your asthma.

Another thing you can try is Caproil...it's a product I use when I sometimes get thrush at the back of my throat.

By the way, it tends to worsen if I've overeaten sweets...is that something that might be happening with you?

q

Old 08-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
(female)

cazzaclarke HB User

Thank you both for your replies. I'm using a normal type inhaler with a spacer and have always rinsed my mouth after and brushed my teeth. Unfortunately it is more in my throat so more difficult to rinse. I have been off sugar apart from carbs for about a month now and have just started taking an anti candida supplement which has similar things in to the one that you suggested, so fingers crossed it works. My doc cant understand why it wont go, think I'm just one of the unlucky ones :-(

Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Did your doc have you use oral Nystatin suspension that you swish and swallow?

I'm also curious if you have reflux?

q

Old 08-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
(female)

cazzaclarke HB User

yes I was on Nystatin for 3 weeks and it appeared to clear it up but it returned within 2 days of stoppiing. I'm not aware that I have reflux, I dont get heartburn. Do you think there's a link then?

Old 08-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi..I don't know if there's a link, but since stomach acid can cause irritation, it's possible that the thrush is in part likes that environment.

Is the anticandida supplement a capsule or liquid?

Are you taking probiotics?

I think you should consider to take another type of steroid inhaler because of the "dispersing" ability of the chamber rather than powder that won't be spread out quite as much.
It's much easier to take in as well....I use the pulmicort turbuhaler, not the canister one.

q

Old 08-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #8
(female)

cazzaclarke HB User

Thanks for your reply. The herbal stuff I'm taking is a capsule and has a probiotic within it, I'm also drinking apple cider vinegar which helps. Have to say it seems a bit better than it was. I've cut my inhaler down to 1 puff twice a day at the mo and I've got an asthma review in Sept so I'll discuss where to go from there with the nurse. I tried symbicort years ago and it made me go dizzy!

Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

symbicort has oxeze and pulmicort in it. I use only the pulmicort (which is a steroid inhaler...). I'm assuming the oxeze is what made you feel dizzy.

Worth a try.

Hope your appointment will offer you another plan.

q

Old 08-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
(female)

cazzaclarke HB User

Many thanks for your support

Reply Reply