It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2001, 06:56 PM   #1

firstdonoharm2 HB User
Question What is MCT oil?

I know Lisa Lewis talks about it in her book but what are some brand names? The only thing I found at health food stores was coconut butter. Is this the same thing as MCT oil? Since it is a solid, how does one get their child to take it? Krisyd, you mentioned that you had used it - can you shed some light on this? Or maybe ToddM - sounds like you may have alot of info when it comes to nutritional approaches. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2001, 06:46 AM   #2
Inactive

krisyd HB User
Smile

Firstdonoharm,
MCT Oil is a medium chain triglyceride oil used often by body builders for energy. It is sometimes referred to as the Human machine oil. You have to look in the body building section of the health food store. Some MD's use this with children who need to gain weight. Apparently this is very good for children. I was concerned about what it does to a persons cholesterol, but I was told that it doesn't effect the cholesterol, at all in a negative way. The manufacture is TWIN LAB. I used it with Michael before the nystatin was ordered, as directed by Dr. Shaw from Great Plains Lab. I am convinced it works, also. Did you get Dr. Shaws book? He talks about all the other natural remedies. I believe in Michaels case that the nystatin took care of getting a majority of yeast, and now I feel comfortable going back to the MCT just to maintain the balance. I could be wrong but as far as the die-off reaction Michael had, it was much more intence when he was on the nystatin for the first week. The MCT oil I have is an oil, not a solid. It has a natural orange flavor, and it is not easy to get him to take, but I get it down after a while. I wouldn't give it to your daughter right before bed as it may have an effect on her energy.I never noticed any prolems with sleep or hyperactivity while he was on it. But all of our kids are different. The cocunut oil is suppose to work as well, but there is some controversy over that. Caprylic acid is supposae to work great as well. I better run just got back from ER with Joey. His asthma is out of control at times. I wish I new where to purchase a pulse Ox,( checks heart rate, and O2 saturation levels) I better run, Hope this helps you. BYE for now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread