It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2002, 03:39 AM   #1

ANNE D HB User
Question VITAMIN B6 MAGNESIUM

Hi everyone:
Has anyone out there tryed the vitamin B6 and
magnesium therapy I have heard so much about? My
son David is currently taking resperidal & clonidine
he has good spells and horrific spells with SIB,
temper tantrums, wall banging, head banging etc.
We have noticed that often the outer rim of David's
ears become beet red before he explodes. David is
12 years old and non verbal.
Anne.

Old 06-01-2002, 08:50 AM   #2
Inactive

Nicksmom HB User
I used b-6, mag, and dmg on my son starting just before his 4th birthday. At the time, he only spoke 10 words, had no eye contact, and had alot of repetitive behaviors. After 3 months of being on the vitamines he gained 200 words, had about 80 percent eye contact, and no repetive behaviors. However, at the time, I thought this was the "CURE" because he improved so fast, but it tapered off and he stopped progressing after those 3 months. THe good news is that what he did gain, he didn't loose. But remember to add DMG (dimethylglycine) with the b-6 and mag.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2002, 02:51 PM   #3

RachelK HB User
Anne,

The red ears sounds like an allergic reaction. Sometimes allergic reactions can turn our kids into to monsters. Have you had him tested? Also, Jed is on Super Nu Thera which has vitamim B6 and magnesium. This supplement was formulated for "autistic" children. It is made by Kirkland Laboratories. My son has been on them for about a year now. I have the help of a nutritionist and my son is on other vitamins and miinerals as well. I would like to add that my son has major allergies. He is allergic to milk, potatoes, corn, carrots, tuna and peanuts just to name a few. I would watch the next time he has red ears and start documenting what he ate. Who know you may be able to figure it out yourself. Good luck.

Rachel K

Old 06-02-2002, 09:20 AM   #4
Inactive

Nicksmom HB User
Rachel is so right about allergies. The one thing I have learned is that all kids with autism suffer from alot of undiagnosed food allergies, and also alot of enviromental allergies (house cleaners, paint, bug spray). I took my son to a DAN doctor last year and found my son to be allergic to many things. He was also diagnosed as having adhd. Well, the Dan doc. introduced me to naet and now he doesn't have the adhd lable. He also used to have red patches under his eyes and that when away after he was treated for wheat, and food dyes. Anyway, you may want to do a search for N.A.E.T (Nambudrapads allergy elimination).....it really works.

Old 06-02-2002, 11:09 AM   #5
Inactive

memehegan HB User
Yup red ears is definetely and allergic reaction and a behavioral nightmare. A quick quick fix is to try TagamentHB! Generic brandname is climeditine- I was baffled why the digetive indigestion aid would work so fabulously but it does, I asked the pharmacist and he told me that it is an antihistimine like they prescribe to patients in the er who are allergic to bee stings - he said they have to take it for three weeks. The red ears go away almost immediately as do the behaviors! The doc said dont take it with zrytec or other prescription allergy meds, but you could take it instead. It works pretty good, It seems to loose its effective ness it you take it evey day for months and months but I use it when I accidently eat corn or eggs (allergic-my sinuse lips and throat swell, burn and ache and I get very very sleepy) and it helps incredibly well. A long term plan is use diegestive enzymes- we use rainbow brite allzyme but I understand kirkmans has one too. -Meme

Old 06-25-2002, 01:25 AM   #6

Cindy_Holden HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by ANNE D:
Hi everyone:
Anne.
hey out there I have read the head banging is to get rid of yhe noise..too much noise..or other stimulus..someone told me you know how you feel when someone walks into a room and runs their fingernails along a chalkboard? that's how a silent autistic feels when you TOUCH them. That's how their nervous system reacts...it freaks... headbanging is a reaction to too much stimulation...do you have a safe room/ carpeted, padded, QUIET soft light bulbs, low watts...everything you can think of to make it a safe place to go for your son.. My friend has a 13 year old silent daughter, low iq also to overcome.. zoloft is approved for 12 and up. it helps focus, releives anxiety, and has a side effect of reducing hyperactivity..all in one..on clonidine her daughter jumped out of a second story window in a pscoyic episode... Risperdal is used to treat schitsophrenia... check out the drug interactions listed by the autistic society of america...good luck with your son, and God bless cindy

Old 06-25-2002, 01:40 AM   #7

Cindy_Holden HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by ANNE D:
Hi everyone:
Anne.
another thought from cindy...risperdal inhibits seretonin production. these kids on this drug are NOT HAPPY that's why. I don't understand how a tranqulizer can be given with a stimulant {risperdal and rittalin for ex.} any input on that? I refused both those mads for my 4 year pld.. high functioning autistic...he id quite the talker and on psycotics he actuall wouldn't talk for six hours..I passed on drugs now amd am tring to learn new ways to reach Cameron...I know sometimes meds are neccessary just to get thru the day but if they are not working.you'll Know it. try something else.. some doctors are in a rut. they give the same veds to ALL the people..BEWARE ..shop around for an open minded doctor.. bye, goodluck, cindy

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 06-25-2002).]

Closed Thread