It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2002, 08:36 AM   #46

RachelK HB User
Test

Old 04-14-2002, 08:43 AM   #47

RachelK HB User
posting problems-ignore this

[This message has been edited by RachelK (edited 04-14-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2002, 08:46 AM   #48
Inactive

memehegan HB User
Hi, do you need prescriptions for the probiotics or acicdphious - I know I messed up spelling! Does the products with the vanilla in it assure you that the vanilla hasnt been processed with wheat(alchol is processed with wheat) - I am never sure which vanilla is trully GF so I just buy beans and flavor as we go-I take a bottle of soy oil and leave a bean in it(takes a couple of weeks to flavor in begining) for cookies and sweet breads- I boil rice with a vanilla bean, then blend a hot cup of it with two cups of water and a some turbinado sugar ( I dont boil sugar with it because chemical something happens and rice wont cook)and a pinch of sea salt in blender for a minute or so, then add two more cups of water - I pour it through a strainer and add it to his soy milk for to stretch it and give it a lighter flavor. he likes it, we make strawberry milk with it and the stuff in the strainer I blend with a banana and freeze for a frozen dessert. I usually make a whole pot of rice at a time, when I have made enough milk for a couple of days, I add a little of it back to cooked rice bring to a boil, then add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins (gfcf), I turn off heat, add liquid to two egg yolks, stir, then add back to pot, I turn heat back on just briefly, not enough to actually start a bubble, but it kills any semonilla in egg yolk and wal-la - cheapo great tasting rice pudding, the whole family chows down on it. -Mary

Old 04-15-2002, 10:22 AM   #49

RachelK HB User
Mary,

No, you do not have to have a prescription. Health food stores carry it in the refrigerated section or you can order it from Kirkman Laboratories. Alot of there products are made for people with allergies. You might want to check them out. They are a mail order company. They have formulated vitamins and supplements for autism and related conditions. This is where I get all of Jeds stuff. I have been very pleased with their products.
On the vanilla, I cannot guarantee anything. The mom who turned me on to this product has a autistic son and is very religious on the gf/cf diet. I think she found out that it was O.K. but you might want to verify that.
Sounds like you have learned to do alot of neat cooking. I bought a book called "Special Diets for Special Kids". Have you heard of this book? Pretty good cook book for gf/cf.

Rachel

Old 04-15-2002, 07:22 PM   #50
Inactive

memehegan HB User
Hi, yes I have that cook book. I was a cook for several years and really enjoyed it. One of my hobbies has been understanding the ratio's in baking recipies to alter them or create my own so I have played alot with cooking for Jay. I just started working 40 hours a week this school year so baking only gets done sat am's or not at all! I taught Jay divison yesterday. Apparently the school though it was too soon, they started with multiplication and then backed down to memorizing addition and subtraction but he already had learned enough multiplication- its so cool when he learns something. I just told him division was just backwards muliplication which as I told him last year was just fancy addittion. He picked it up instantly - all I said was whats 2 times 3, he said six, I said now go backwards, what do you think 6 divided by 3 is and he said oh- two! Math is a very strong area for Jay- I wish that they would do more math work on computor, I think he resists because of having to write the answers and maybe the teacher is misunderstanding the writing resistance for math resistance. I cant imagine fourth grade for the second year wouldn't include division. I have not so much confidence in the school district and really try to suppliment his education at home! Well I have to work early tomorrow- Jay will be home with older sister and step-dad neither whom he respects or listens to, I hope the day goes well, its going to be a long three days- but I have been doing alot of verbal prompts with him to listen and respect the step-dad. He's not disrespectful so much as ornary and i can do what I want kinda thing. bye Mary

Old 04-16-2002, 09:18 AM   #51

RachelK HB User
Mary,

I have forgotten, is he in mainstream classes? Thats great that he is learning so much. Like I said before, keep up the good work mom! It is sooo great to see your hard work paying off.

Rachel

Old 04-21-2002, 11:26 AM   #52

RachelK HB User
Mary,

What age did you put your son on ritlin? Did he calm down pretty quick? His psycologist thinks he is ADHD. I'm wondering if ritlin or concerta is next and if this will help him calm down.

Rachel

Old 04-23-2002, 01:05 PM   #53
Inactive

memehegan HB User
Hi, sorry I didn't answer sooner! We started ritilin the day he turned 5! (not really but very soon after) It was incredible, my eyes had been trained tract and communicate with him in perpetual motion, once he started the ritilin it took my eyes some time to adjust because he wasnt a moving target!! Its kinda like driving a car but the road never moves, imagine what that would do to your eyes! Smile. I have ADHD myself and I have always regretted that I was not diagnoised until I failed kindergarten through 5th grade and dropped out of college 3 times! Imagine how different my life could have been. Scince medication I have all As and B+ 's in the college credits I work on in my spare time!!!!!! (hahaha) Jay has all these incredible ideas and the ritilin lets him remember them long enough to share, draw or build them! It also improved his self esteem because he was able to develop much needed self control which ment much less negative family feedback for him. Many years later I discovered that there is a risk of developing facial ticks on ritilin and there are radical peeks with ritilin, its a daily rollercoaster- and expectations for Jay 2 hours into it need to be age appropriate and expectations 3 hours into need to be much much lower he is capable of much less self control. And teachers seem to have a great deal of difficulty grasping this. Also eating needs to be done before, after and at meds time, expecting him to eat when peaking is unrealisitic and inappropriate. This year Jay has lost weight because lunch and snack times are at his peak times in school. Well I share more later.-Mary

Old 05-12-2002, 11:41 PM   #54
Inactive

Zizi HB User
Oh

my

God.
Is the autism that bad that some children must be medicated to "calm them down."? I only hope that it never comes to that for my child.

Old 05-13-2002, 05:07 PM   #55

RachelK HB User
Zizi,

Do you have a autistic child? Alot of our children have other issues as well as autism such as ADHD, OCD, Anxiety just to name a few. The only relief they can get is from medication. I hope you never have to medicate you child, but let me ask you...If your child had cancer or another disease/disorder would you not want to help relieve thier symptoms. When you have a headache do you not take pain relievers to help? I do not like having to medicate my child as I'm sure others here do not either, but when they cannot stop obsessing on certain things and it takes up alot of their time then something has to be done to help them. When they cannot stop fidgeting and cannot concentrate with the speech and occupational therapist (that are there to help in areas that are crutial to everyday living) then something needs to be done. Every parent that I have spoke with on this healthboard have their own unique way of dealing with their own situation. Medication has always been a last resort.

Rachel

[This message has been edited by RachelK (edited 05-14-2002).]

Old 05-14-2002, 03:41 PM   #56
Inactive

memehegan HB User
Zizi
Without my son's restricted diet and Meds it is most likely he would not be able to live at home because the school would not be able to educate him and he would hurt his older sister with high pitch screaches in her ears ( I am told this can cause permanent damage) and toys flying through the air aimed at her just because she's in the line of eye site. I would not get daily hugs, cuddles and I love yous! God forbid the one or two times in the last two years that he had an awesome morning and I forgot the give the am ritilin he was sent home for inappropriate behaviors. He cant even dress himself much less write his first name with out the ritilin! And forget ever being able to ride a bike, go anywhere in public because he would dart and dash and hide. Until he was old enough to begin ritilin I literally feared for his life on a daily basis- our upstairs windows were nailed closed, I have lost him countless times in malls, stores, state parks- he could only wear neon clothes so I could find him easier! He takes rititlin, serzone and risperdal, his nerological wiring is quite off, he is still incontinent at night and frequently in the days, the ritilin helps conect the all the brilliant thoughts in his head - from begining to end and lets him remember and follow through. The serzone helps fill in and bridge the nerological lapses and the risperidal takes the edge of the primal anger response long enough for the ritilin to let his brain make safer verbal choices instead of violent ones. My son is on the high functioning end of the autistic spectrum and we are so lucky that all the meds work so well together. This year at age 11 he learned to read! He went from kindergarten to third grade level in 6 months and is typing at 80% accuracy or higher- there just doesnt seem to be adequate neurological wiring for him to ever write at grade level but I am delighted that he can and does type!! He has also mastered math! Growing from 1st grade to 4th grade level this year and will mainstream his second class ever next year- a science one! Scince begining the diet two years ago his non verbal and verbal IQ's have gone up 10 points and his speech and language - untestable in first grade is now testing at a 13 year old level (when he was 10)- he has also taken buspar for the ocd part of it- which allowed to him to beging using elevators and go on a class trip to Howes Caverns- (the elevator to bottom of Cavern is only way down and he missed out three years in a row before buspar), he was able to beging using bathrooms with the door closed (quite an issue in school), and play outside (he said it was always tooooooo dark, even on the sunniest days)-just last night he took a deep breath and walked into a dark room with the light off to get a clean dry pair of underware (not a high priority item for him I might add- smile)- I didnt even need to verbally prompt him, he just did it!!! Yea! And as I shared, my life was so much less than it could have been with meds. I didnt get diagnosised or begin meds until in my thirties and after dropping out of college three different times in my twenties I am finally taking evening classes and getting straight A's! I even earned my CDA credential which allows me to teach preschool and at a much higher pay scale than an assistant. I know I couldnt do that without dextrostat. I couldn't even return library books or even find my library card before meds or even carry a purse. I lost countless purses and drivers liscenses! I have only lost my liscense once in three years scince begining dextrostat.

Old 05-14-2002, 09:28 PM   #57
Inactive

Zizi HB User
ok ok,
I didnt mean it to sound condemning. This is the first time Ive heard of children with Autism being medicated and Im shocked. My 3 year old daughter was diagnosed about five months ago.

Old 05-23-2002, 05:26 AM   #58

trisha rose HB User
Wink

hi rachel
jason my son has been on super-nu thera for three weeks now. the first week and a half he took it no bother in a little ice cream, or at times off a spoon with some juice to wash it down. but the last week and a half when he sees me getting it out he does a runner! i don`t think he likes the smell of it [nor do i!]and i think he is getting sick of it i have tried putting it in yogurt but i don`t like giving him too much dairy food so i give him half a yogurt each time. up to date we have not seen any changes in him is it too soon?
we have asked doctor to order DMG to try on jason but she keeps saying she has to find out about it first. i don`t see what the problem is i gave her all the information i got from the internet she only has to send away for it i feel myself it all comes down to funding!!!!!!!!
my husband and myself went round some health food shops last week asking about DMG and no one had a clue what we were on about. we were not going to buy it we just wanted to see if we could.
also i would like to know is it normal for jason to pass a lot of water and very strong smelling! while he is on super-nu thera?

------------------
trisha rose

Old 05-23-2002, 08:29 AM   #59

RachelK HB User
Trisha,

Are you using the liquid form? It really doe's have a strong vitaminish odor. I use capsules. I open them and put them in about 1/4 cup of orange juice along with all the other vitamins. He doe's O.K. with it this way. You asked about your sons urine...The only thing I'm aware of is it changing the color to dark orange or yellow. My Kirkman guide tells me that there is generally no diuretic effects.

I have to tell you that most doctors are very unaware and very hesitate in trying vitamin therapy. My sons pediatrition was also. Thats when I hired a nutritionist to help. They are more up to speed on this. (or at least mine is) DMG or TMG both can be order directly from Kirkman Laboratories. The same place you got your Super Nu Thera. You do not need a doctors prescription for this. Just call them up. Have you had a chance to look them up on the internet?They will ship to other countries.

You can also order one of their free guides. It will help you understand what helps what and what side effects could come about. I know this has helped me a great deal.

Good luck and ask anything. If I can help I will happy to.

Rachel K

Old 06-22-2002, 05:04 AM   #60

Sarmor HB User
My son is now 12 years old, dx pddnos, with an iq of 68. He was on zyprexa for over 3 years before I took him off because of extreme weight gain. He has been off all meds for over a year. He has been having a tough time in school this year because his special ed teacher seems to have absolutely no understanding of what makes pdd kids tick. She loads him up with worksheets when hands on, visual type learning techniques work best with him. She keeps him out of his favorite activities like chorus, art and recess because he "didn't finish his work." Then she wonders why he has become hostile, belligerent, etc. She tells me that he "chooses" to do the wrong things without taking into consideration his inability to make good choices once he has become overwhelmed, overstimulated etc. I believe that using incorrect teaching techniques is making my son oppositional at school. I have been reading about atomoxetine, a new nonstimulant drug being tested for adhd. It has been found to reduce aggression, and hyperactivity as well as help the child become more appropriately social. Has anyone heard anything about this? I truly relate to the mom who wrote about her child being misdx as emotionally disturbed. It is very difficult when the school does not accept your child's diagnosis.

Closed Thread