It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2002, 07:55 AM   #1

RachelK HB User
Post OCD type behaviors

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have experienced OCD type behaviors with your children and if so have you tried any medications for this and has it helped. My son is 5 and is in ST/OT/Sensory Integration/music therapy/ vitamin therapy with the help of a nutritionist and has major allergies which we finally got under control and he see a psychologist. He is currently taking paxil and I'm not sure it is helping. Seems like it might be making him worse. We have done all the testing alot like other parents have done on this site. His fine motor skills have gone up 10 months in a 5 month period and his speech has improved greatly also. He is doing soooo much better and at this point his OCD behaviors are the only thing that brings attention to himself. Any info/experience on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Rachel K

Old 04-07-2002, 12:11 PM   #2

Jimmy'smom HB User
Hi Rachel,
My son is 5 1/2 and he had some severe OCD behaviours we try several antidepressants but the one the really worked is Celexa he's been taking it for almost a year and still works.
Good luck!
Susana.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2002, 02:34 PM   #3

RachelK HB User
Susana,

Thanks for responding. If you don't mind me asking what type behaviors doe's he have and has celexa totally eliminated them? Did any of the other medications make it worse?

Thanks,

Rachel

Old 04-07-2002, 10:05 PM   #4

trishk HB User
Talking

hi rachel! i'm a 24 year old mother of 3. i have severe ocd, as well as my 6 year old daughter. my 3 year old daughter was just diagnosed last week. my mother and 2 of her sisters have it also. i take paxil but currently my children have been on no medication. we actually go this wednesday to get them on meds but i'm not sure yet what the doctor wants to ty them on. i'm not sure how much you know about ocd but my suggestion is to get super educated about it so you'll know best how to help your boy. i know firsthand how much my girls are suffering because i'm right there with them, but sometimes my husband and son get pretty frustrated trying to deal with it all. good luck to you and your family! kim.

Old 04-08-2002, 07:10 AM   #5

Jimmy'smom HB User
Rachel,
One of the things Jimmy used to do was change his shirt(with help)wich could only be cotton long sleeves T's (sensory thing),approx. every minute or two through the day and douring all seasons.Nothing could stop him from obssesing about it.

Old 04-08-2002, 09:47 AM   #6

RachelK HB User
Kim,
Thanks for responding.

I'm kind of not too new to this. My daughter who is now 10 was also diagnosed at age 6. But, She is/was nothing like my son. He will ask the same questions over and over even though he knows the answers and he is just fasinated with air conditioners and/or machinery with fans inside of them. My daughter has reoccuring unpleasant thoughts. She was put on paxil at age six and it worked well for her. My son was just put on paxil and it seems to be making him more hyper and not helping with the obsessions. I hope you can get the help you need for you daughters. It is very frustrating and I know you hate to see your children suffering as do I. Good luck.

Rachel K.

Old 04-08-2002, 09:52 AM   #7

RachelK HB User
Susana,

Jed will ask the same questions over and over even though he knows the answers and he is fasinated with fans and machinery with fans. Very frustrating to go the store and have to stop at every refrigerator or freezer just to look inside. It used to be the hand dryers in public bathrooms and we would have to go the restroom 100 times before I would just give up and leave.

Also, have you had him evaluated for Sensory Integration? Jed in currently in this. Seems to be helping some of his issues.

Rachel K

[This message has been edited by RachelK (edited 04-08-2002).]

Old 04-09-2002, 07:06 AM   #8

Jimmy'smom HB User
Rachel,
Jimmy didn't need to be evaluated because Sensory Integration is part of his daily rutine at school(he goes to an Autistic class)he has OT ,PT, and they apply deep preasure and other activities , what The teacher tels me is that after having done this he's so much calmer and focused.
Susana.

Old 04-09-2002, 09:27 AM   #9

RachelK HB User
Susana,

Do you see any changes in him at home since he started with Sensory Integration? Jed receives Sensory integration privately as well as OT in school. School only offers 30 minutes a month. NOT MUCH!!! Privately he goe's 2 times a week. This is where I think he is receiving the most help. He also receives private speech twice a week. I also think this is where most of his improvements have come from.

Rachel K

Old 04-09-2002, 02:26 PM   #10

Jimmy'smom HB User
Rachel,
I can't tell what particularly helped Jimmy's progress because all programs in the IEP started at the same time, so I have to assume that is the combination of all therapies applied since school started, he did really good in special ed preschool two years before starting the autistic class, and he was only going half a day then, now is a full day class, and even have swimming once a week.

Old 04-09-2002, 03:19 PM   #11

RachelK HB User
Susana,

Is he high functioning? How is his speech? Jed will be starting kinder this fall. He is in the PPCD program right now (half day). He will be in the Special Ed kinder but I think he will be going into the regular ed classes some. His teacher seems to think that by 1st grade he may be mainstreamed. We will see. I hope he is able but only time will tell and I only want him to if he is able. I'm so glad that you are having good results with your school district. I just feel like my son doe's not get enough time in OT/ST at school for the problems he has.
It's nice talking with people who have similar problems.

Also, you mentioned in one of your posts that your son tried different anitidepressants. Did any of them make your sons behavior worse?

Rachel K

[This message has been edited by RachelK (edited 04-09-2002).]

Old 04-09-2002, 07:38 PM   #12
Inactive

memehegan HB User
Hi, I just wanted to respond quickly to this - I only have a few minutes tonight- my son- PDD/NOS high functioning on autistic spetrum-ADHD- was first prescribed paxil (following unsucessful trials of tenex and clonodine) and before he was diagnosised PDD. His behaviors on Paxil became severly aggressive and psychotic. He became detached and enraged and eventually at age seven tried to choke me two death and told intake workers at crisis clinic there are two ways to do it and this is how...., as the behaviors escalated, the psychiatrist kept saying well, hes not at the theraputic level yet, lets up the dose, -upped three times in two weeks. The crisis unit told me as they committed him that he was over dosing on paxil. He was inpatient for 6 weeks. I know its a great med for many- really I have friends who tell me this, and have read many wonderful testimonials, but man when it doesn't work its a nightmare. Also I was never informed that it could be come addictive and that it may require hospitalization while withdrawing. Did I mention the super human strength? It took 4 ambulence worker to carry this raging little wafe of a child out of our house. It took two years before I could convince the school district that behaviors were drug induced and that he could safely mainstream (critical social skill development for PDD kids!)- personally, I would urge any parent who's child is begining paxil to research the drug thuroughly and watch closely, if levels of aggression are rising- seek informed medical attention- obviously my psychiatrist was less than that- what we went through was a nightmare and I would hope to spare another family from that. In the back of my mind I kept thinking, the whole time we lived the escalating aggression and not understanding the minute but for us very real possible side effects of paxil - was my god, is this a glimpse of the cold unfeeling adult my baby, my child is going to become. Now he is a warm, cuddly wonderfully brilliant, verbal and funny child- he has show almost compelte recovery from even his PDD symptoms scince begining the Glueten free/caisen free diet and ritilin, risperidal, serzone and digestive enzymes. But back then the school district was preparing to place him in a permanent residential p;acement- and not solely from the paxil, but truely the paxil escalated, intensified the rage and created psychotic episodes outside the norm of behaviors for a PDD child.

Old 04-10-2002, 10:49 AM   #13

Jimmy'smom HB User
Hi!
Jimmy is not very verbal but he can name things that he wants and he is starting to use three word sentences when prompted, most of the time he'll just repet after me or the people at school and a lot less often he'll use a sentence on his own. He can eat with spoon and fork , use the VCR( to rewind and see the same part a thusand times),sometimes he cleans up after himself without me telling him to, he's learning to use the toilet, so I guess he is HF.
With the antidepressants I know that Luvox and Prozac didn't work and Paxil made him regress as far as anger ,sleeping at night and hyperactivity,we took him off Paxil and hes behaviour got better within days. Susana.

Old 04-10-2002, 12:30 PM   #14

RachelK HB User
Hi Susana,

I just spoke with the doctor and we are weaning him off paxil and restarting zoloft. We tried zoloft first and it was working as far as some of his compulsions but the obsessions did not go way. We may have to increase zoloft and maybe the obsessions will decrease. Jed is fully potty trained and has been since 3 1/2. He is speaking better and better everyday. He uses a fork and spoon also. He can actually dress himself with little help. We are still working on shoes and socks. He knows his ABC's and counts to about 20, knows his shapes including hard ones like octagon and hexagon and he knows his colors.
He knows quite a few opposites. He also knows his telephone # and address. He can write his name and spell a few easy words.
He has come along way in just a very short time. I'm very proud of him and I know he will continue to improve. We as parents have to have faith in our children. If we don't know one else will.

Its kind of nice to talk to someone with experiences real close to mine. Maybe some your experiences will help me and some of mine will help you.

Rachel K

Old 04-10-2002, 12:45 PM   #15

RachelK HB User
MEMEHEGAN,

I'm soooo glad you finally got the help you needed for your son and for yourself. That is truely a scary story. Jed is being weaned off of paxil starting today. Luckily, I haven't had any really horrible episodes. He has regressed in areas of hyperactivity, not being able to focus like he was on zoloft and some old compulsive type behaviors have come back in full force. Everyone (including teachers and therapist)has notice a change in him since we started paxil. Anyway, I hope the zoloft will put him back on track. Thanks for responding and giving your story.

Rachel K

Closed Thread