It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2002, 04:13 PM   #1

kizzygirl33 HB User
Unhappy SCHOOL WANTS TO BAKER ACT MY 11 YR OLD DAUGHTER!

Hi, my 11 year old daughter is mentally handicaped and autistic, just diagnoised autistic a little over a year ago. Just yesterday I got a call from her school saying they are going to Baker Act her because she slapped her teacher on the back, kicked, scratched at her and wouldn't listen. Needless to say I speed to the school and took her home before they could do anything but now I am terrified to bring her back, any info or advice would be helpful because I don't know what to do!

Old 09-27-2002, 01:29 PM   #2

Jannette HB User
I would suggest going to wrightslaw.com It helps with disabiility laws and can help you find some answers. It all depends on your IEP and why the lashout occurred.
My son is 9 and is high funtioning autistic, I make sure all abide by his IEP because of his violent tendencies, I do know a lot of parents home school but that also is paper work and depends on your state laws. My son use to kick bite scratch pinch hit rip off jewlery, Etc etc... Now because of the behavior management I use and communication boards he has been violent free for 2 years now , useing sensory communnication boards and behavior management. He is touch sensitive so that was included in his IEP. But for your information until he was diagnosed 3 years ago there was no help. He was hard of hearing and was in a Deaf ed class. Once his hearing improved but not his behavior I had to do homework to find out what disability he had , get him tested, at that point all rules changed. And so did our family, for the better.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2002, 10:48 AM   #3

BelieveAnAngel HB User
I have an 18 year old who also is violent in school.This is do to his lack communication.I have also been called to the school,but you know when the aides and teachers are hired they know the risk involved.Have you tried letting your daughter go for half day sessions,and stay there to see what or who is causing the agression.I had to do this with my son.sometimes other people touching his stuff,or touching him,or just not getting his own way caused these behavioral problems with him.My son is in an autistic program and some of the children scream and that certainly bothers him.Educators forget that these children have a right to an education.And the first thing they run for is the law.hope this helps....Anne-Marie

Old 10-27-2002, 06:57 AM   #4

Gino's Mom HB User
Can you please tell me what Bakers Act is?

Thanks
Suzanne

Closed Thread