It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2003, 12:36 PM   #1

JayLynn HB User
Post What does "high functioning" mean?

My assumtion was that "high functioning" autism was the most severe type of autism. Am I right to assume this? What does this mean? What are symptoms of mild autism?

Old 03-21-2003, 06:04 AM   #2
Inactive

Pandabaire2 HB User
"High functioning" and "mild autism" are pretty much the same thing - they are on the end of the scale of autism - as in mild cases of autism - being a high functioning autistic means they have the best chance of integration and mainstreaming into the rest of society. At least that's my understanding. Also with high functioning and mild autism is Asperger's syndrome ...they all mean relitively the same thing with slight variations on behavior and learning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2003, 04:14 PM   #3

Chelley8401 HB User
Hi JayLynn,
Pandabaire is right on the money. I am the proud mom of a 12 year old boy who's been diagnosed as having Autism/PDD but is on the high funtioning end of the spectrum. While I knew early on that something wasnt right, it did take some time before I could find a doc who would actually listen to my concerns about my son's development. He continues speech therapy, occupational and physical therapy, is mainstreamed in school (He made high honor roll 2 quarters in a row! and is making huge progress in meeting social goals. Remember that you are your child's voice so if you think there are services he needs, and he's being denied them, keep after these docs. If they wont listen, look for one who will. It can be a very frustrating and trying time, but in the end, I can assure you, it is very much worth the time and effort. I wish you the best! Chelley
Had spinal tap 3/02 to treat severe high pressure headaches. Having NEVER had back issues before LP, I am now being treated for severe joing and nerve damage And DDD, First ESI, 2/25/03. Second ESI, 3/18/03. Third ESI, 4/8/03. SI/Facet joint injections, 5/6/03.

Closed Thread