It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2003, 02:25 PM   #1

peter'smom HB User
Post Luvox

My asperger's son (age 13) has recently been diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Could this be that he also has another disorder, or is this just a part of his autism? He has always been very obsesive about things, I'm thinking this is just a new label for him. Has anyone out there got any experience with medications for this? The most likely is Luvox, but we are also talking about Paxil or Prozac.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2003, 02:49 PM   #2
Inactive

Nicksmom HB User
Kids on the autism spectrum have a wide rage of problems...on my son's evaluation, they put he has autism, adhd, and ocd. If I give my son the right supplements, the adhd and the ocd goes away. In my experiance with my son, I find the dmg 3x a day makes the ocd behaviors go away. When my son was 4, he would have to have all the doors closed and he would pace around the house making sure they were closed. His room had to be very clean, other wise he would freak out if anything was moved, he could only were red clothes....anyway, these went away after taking dmg. I started giving him this supplement about three weeks ago, and even though he really doesn't have ocd behaviors anymore, I find this supplement really gets him to communicate more. Anyway, if you haven't tried dmg yet, it would be worth a try before putting him on a prescription medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2003, 07:22 PM   #3

triomom HB User
Help! What's dmg?

Old 04-19-2003, 10:54 PM   #4

firstdonoharm2 HB User
When reading the following, keep in mind that I am not advocating any prescription meds as I am a firm believer in nutritional approaches to biochemical aberrations. I am just relaying some interesting research that sheds some light on what may be happening neurologically/biochemically in OCD behaviors.

There is some interesting research out there regarding OCD behaviors. One researcher is finding that people with OCD have antibodies to their serotonin receptors and that if given Prozac or Zoloft these antibodies to serotonin receptors decrease substantially, as well as the OCD behaviors. Yet another research group has found that Prozac has antifungal ability. Yeast/fungi have cell structures very similar to human cells. So it may be that the affect that Prozac is having on decreasing OCD behaviors is based on its ability to fight fungi/yeast and the body stops attacking its serotonin receptors when the yeast/fungi are no longer around. Normal serotonin neurotransmission could then be accomplished. I haven't yet had the time to research further the possibility of an antifungal dietary approach or supplements known to reduce fungal/yeast infections and their affects on OCD. Would be something to search the net for if OCD is your interest. Just a thought.

But given this, I would certainly look into the DMG (dimethyglycine) as an option to try first, anecdotally it appears to have worked for someone else.
From what I understand, and you can research this supplement at the Autism Research Institute site, it is very safe with no side affects, with the exception that it can exacerbate a folic acid & vitamin B12 deficiency if one exists. It appears to help with detoxification and methylation.

Closed Thread