It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2003, 11:55 AM   #16

butterflyman HB User
tardive dyskinesia

How long was your child on this drug before developing tardive dyskinesia and do they still have it?

Thanks

Old 11-17-2003, 04:55 PM   #17

Smiles78 HB User
Question Risperdal

The little girl I work with who has A-typical Angelman's Syndrome with Austisitic characteristics has been on Risperdal 0.25 mg cut in half for almost a year for her tantruming self abusive behavior of biting her arm and slapping her head or hitting me when she gets fustrated or excitied. She is 9 and is non-verbal functioning on a 2 yr old level in skills also not yet potty trained. We have been lucky and have not noticed the weight gain from being on the medicine she is 56 lbs and I bieleve 48 inches tall (small for her age with size 11 1/2 toddler shoes)
She is also on Depakote for controlling seziures (possible abscent seziures) as well as Polycitra for Renial Tubular Acidosis and Zyrtec for allergies. The Risperdal /Zyrtec was prescribed also to help her to sleep through the night - getting her to sleep isnt the problem - it is keeping her asleep. We have noticed that when she gets a cold and we give her Tylenol cold medicine or other cold medicine her behaviors change -they become very intense with intense stimming on bristle of brushes - strands from blankets and very oral - chewing on toys. She gets into a trance as she is feeling the textures of specific items and then all of a sudden she snaps back into our world with a slap on her head and a yell - I was wondering if anyone else has notice odd behavior on Risperdal or know of drug interactions - we dont have a problem when she is on her regular meds - just when she has a cold.
Thanks -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2003, 08:24 AM   #18

roge0001 HB User
Re: risperdal???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgarcia0234
Our doctor is putting our children on risperdal, and I was wondering if anyone out there had their children on it, or know more about it. Thank you
My 6 year old son has been on Risperdal for about 5 months now and it has worked the best out about 3 other meds. It is not sedating at all and has helped him so much with his mixed up emotions and outbursts, etc. We have added Lexapro just a week or so ago to help with the stimming because the Risperdal didn't help that.

Old 10-18-2004, 11:52 AM   #19

daughterdeb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksmom
I've know a couple people that have tried risperdal on there kids and the number one problem with this med is rapid weight gain. With one mom I know who tried it on her son, she said he was more calm and focused better, but he put on 20 pounds so she took him off of it. The other mom I know, said her son had no changes for the better, just gained a big appeitite. Have you looked into biomedical testing/ treatments? Most of these kids can be improved drastically with certin vitamins, anti yeast remedies, gf/cf diet, no refined sugar, food dyes, nitrates, extra calcium and magniusum.
As for you question about vaccines, If you do vaccinate, don't give the Hep-b in the hospital.....you only get this disease by exchanging body fluids (sex, blood transfusion, dirty needles) unless your a carrier. Blood brain barrier doesn't close untill your at least 6 weeks old and so the toxins goes straight to the brain. I would also avoid the flu shot, & chicken pox shot. I also wouldn't vaccinate a bunch of different shots in one day.....space them out. If you do the DTaP, wait on the HIB and Polio for a couple months. With my son, they gave him 9 vaccines in one day just before his second b-day and he was never the same since...since then, I learned that many of these kids are born with a defective metallothionein protein (responsible for helping the body eliminate toxins from the body). It can also become defective if it is over worked. We over work our babies with today's vaccine schedule. I had 10 shots total as a baby and now we give them over 30...too too much. There are some vaccines on the market that are thimerosal free, so make sure you ask for that. In addition to mercury, they add aluminum, formadehyde,carbolic acid, and phenoxyethanol (anti-freeze)....all these things are neuro toxins.
please , know the risks of risperdal,be aware of the long tern effects this can have on your love one. find out what thier not telling you about this drug! we thought it was a magical drug, but as time went on, this drug blew up in our face,my mother may never recover. i only wish i had known the facts.

Old 10-18-2004, 11:54 AM   #20

daughterdeb HB User

please , know the risks of risperdal,be aware of the long tern effects this can have on your love one. find out what thier not telling you about this drug! we thought it was a magical drug, but as time went on, this drug blew up in our face,my mother may never recover. i only wish i had known the facts.

Old 10-20-2004, 04:35 AM   #21

atresize HB User

my son is nine and he gained 45lbs on risperdal he is adhd

Old 10-20-2004, 06:58 AM   #22
(female)

rastafairy HB User

hi, my son's 11 and he's been on risperdal nearly a year as part of his medication, it has a side effect that makes you feel hungry all lot of the time, my son has gained weight, but he's under supervision so it's under control, the gluten wheat free diet, can really benefit some kids a friend of mine her kids come off risperdal as the diet has helped her kids behavour so much, but you have to be incredabily focused and make sure you stick to the diet and constantly check products, they also do go through a phase of withdrawal from what they have been used to when starting the diet and sometimes crave certain foods, personally i would stick to your routine you have now with what they eat while starting the medication, which depending on the dose takes approx two weeks to get into the system, it took less than that on my son, but they say two weeks, so after a month you will be able to judge any improvement or possible weight gain, then descide whether you want to try the diet or not. Just a suggestion hope it helps.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:17 AM   #23
(female)

I Love LJC HB User

Hi Nicksmom thanks for your post about the MT Protein .The Cadmium issue is scary too.I was just curious did a DAN doctor point this out to you as i wonder if they have a opinion on this also.I dont see a Dan Doctor but if one is looking at this or any one else could any of the vaccines or something genetic mess up the sulfur amino acids or sulfate transport mechanism in the body? Wish i would of went to Med school.Thanks

Last edited by I Love LJC; 10-21-2004 at 12:26 PM.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:22 AM   #24

mommame HB User
Risperdal/Tardive Dyskenesia

Just a warning to anyone who has a child taking Risperdal. Our son was weaned by his doctor too quickly after taking it for 5 years. The withdrawal caused tardive dyskenesia and we had to raise the dosage to higher than it was before.

This med has been very helpful but we had learned of the increased risk of diabetes, which runs in my family.

Last edited by mommame; 10-28-2004 at 02:44 PM.

Closed Thread