It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2003, 12:32 PM   #1

sdgarcia0234 HB User
Question risperdal???

Our doctor is putting our children on risperdal, and I was wondering if anyone out there had their children on it, or know more about it. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2003, 06:45 PM   #2

sdgarcia0234 HB User
I also am 8 1/2 months pregnant. I read the topic about vaccinations, and now I am scared to get my new baby vaccinated. I want to, but I want to spread them out more. Does anyone out there have any idea on what a safe vaccination schedule would be, or one that you would recommend to me. Thank you so much!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2003, 08:21 PM   #3
Inactive

Nicksmom HB User
I've know a couple people that have tried risperdal on there kids and the number one problem with this med is rapid weight gain. With one mom I know who tried it on her son, she said he was more calm and focused better, but he put on 20 pounds so she took him off of it. The other mom I know, said her son had no changes for the better, just gained a big appeitite. Have you looked into biomedical testing/ treatments? Most of these kids can be improved drastically with certin vitamins, anti yeast remedies, gf/cf diet, no refined sugar, food dyes, nitrates, extra calcium and magniusum.
As for you question about vaccines, If you do vaccinate, don't give the Hep-b in the hospital.....you only get this disease by exchanging body fluids (sex, blood transfusion, dirty needles) unless your a carrier. Blood brain barrier doesn't close untill your at least 6 weeks old and so the toxins goes straight to the brain. I would also avoid the flu shot, & chicken pox shot. I also wouldn't vaccinate a bunch of different shots in one day.....space them out. If you do the DTaP, wait on the HIB and Polio for a couple months. With my son, they gave him 9 vaccines in one day just before his second b-day and he was never the same since...since then, I learned that many of these kids are born with a defective metallothionein protein (responsible for helping the body eliminate toxins from the body). It can also become defective if it is over worked. We over work our babies with today's vaccine schedule. I had 10 shots total as a baby and now we give them over 30...too too much. There are some vaccines on the market that are thimerosal free, so make sure you ask for that. In addition to mercury, they add aluminum, formadehyde,carbolic acid, and phenoxyethanol (anti-freeze)....all these things are neuro toxins.

Old 05-23-2003, 08:01 PM   #4

sdgarcia0234 HB User
The weight gain issue kind of bothers me, but I have a really strict eating schedule anyways with my kids, and I make sure they only get so much to eat. So I guess Im kinda hoping I can control the weight gain if I don't change how much they already eat.

I had tried the magniesium and B-6 vitamins, but I gave up because It was such a fight to get my son to take the crushed pills, no matter what I put it in. I really want to try the super-nu-thera, but I haven't found were to get it yet.

My husband and I were also considering the gf-cf diet, but I didn't even know where to start, seeing that my children are extremely picky, and the gluten and cassien are in a lot of the already few foods that they will eat.

Old 05-24-2003, 08:19 AM   #5

*Rachel K* HB User
sdgarcia,

How old are your children? My son is 6 years old and on .5mg of risperdal in the morning and .5mg at night. It has calmed him down some. We are in the process of weaning him off to see how he will repond to just straterra that we started a month ago. I can tell you that it has not made my child gain weight. I know that it has for alot of other children though. You can get Super Nu Thera from Kirkman Labs. Do a search engine to find their website as I cannot post it here. My son was on the Gf/Cf diet for a year and half along with an elimination diet for allergies. This was a very difficult time for us. He was a very picky eater at the time and it made it real hard to find foods that he could eat. But, we hung in there and made it. He is no longer on the diet and no longer has allergies either.

Also, my son was unable to swallow capsules and we just kept trying and now he can swallow them just fine. He never like me sprinkling the powder in juice or food either. Good luck with all your decisions.

Rachel

Old 05-24-2003, 09:52 AM   #6

sdgarcia0234 HB User
For right now my children are only and 1/4mg at bedtime, just to see how they will react. The doctor said we may have to up it later depending on how they respond. They are 4, and 3, and seem to be very high functioning, im starting to wonder if since their so high functioning that maybe drugs aren't right for them. Who knows......

Old 05-28-2003, 02:16 PM   #7

Sarmor HB User
My son was on zyprexa, which is similar to risperidal in what it is used for. It also causes great weight gain, a tremendous increase in appetite - almost like an eating disorder - he never was full. I have read about links to diabetes and zyprexa - check the web to see if risperidal has been linked also. It is good to go into use of medication with your eyes wide open. However, sometimes meds do wonderful things so I would never tell someone not to try something. Our kids are so individual - only through trial and error can you discover what is right for them. Research, research, research is what I have learned to do. You will get to a point where you feel like you have done so much work for your kids that you should have earned a doctorate by now! Good luck, don't get discouraged, don't be afraid to try things, but always know everything you can about what you are trying. Don't count on your doctor for all the information, no matter how much you trust or like him or her. Sometimes, simply by association with other families with children on the spectrum, we have more access to anecdotal information.

Old 06-04-2003, 09:43 PM   #8
Inactive

memehegan HB User
My son is on Risperdal, .5 3 times a day taken at the same time he takes 20 mg ritilin and 50 mg serzone. TAking the ritilin with the risperdal curtails the hunger issue. Before doing it together he actually riped a cupboard door off in the kitchen while demading food. The theraputic goal of these drugs for my son is to manage rage and fustration enabling him to function at home and school rather than in an institution. What was your doctors goal for putting children so young on risperdal? My son was hospitalized while they tried to find the right "coctail" of drugs to manage his extreme behavior and emotions. I have to say that while all the drugs still continue to meet his needs--that had we not tried the glueten free caisin free diet the drugs alone wouldn't have been sucessful. He is now 12, doing farely well and entering middle school next year though he still has a writing disability- functionally writing at a kindergarten level but orally working at or above grade level with ease. I believe that had he been able to begin the diet before age seven he probably wouldnt have such severe damage and delay in the writing. Its all in his head, he just cant get it out his hands. Because he couldnt process the protiens in all his favorite foods he was probally starving to death while getting high off of cheese, ice cream and crackers!~ His verbal and nonverbal IQ's have both been tested and jumped 10 points to 98 and 118 a year after begining the diet!

In all of your research regarding risperdal did any one mention that it can also leave a child sterile? Especially older chidren on higher doses? I think thats a huge side effect to fail to share with parents! I discovered it here at this site then confirmed it with my doctor who said "well you know with these kids its probably better that way." It infuriated me. With the diet and drugs my son is progressing wonderful and I have no doubt will some day be as competent a parent as my self and probably better. His diagnosis is PDD/nos with SAD and severe ADHD. -meme

Old 06-05-2003, 06:52 PM   #9

sdgarcia234 HB User
The reason my docter put my son and daughter on risperdal was because she said it would make them have better eye contact, be more social, talk more, and have less repetitive movements. Also she said it would help my daughter sleep at night, because for some reason she just would wake up in the middle of the night and be up for hours. I didn't know that it could cause a child to become sterile. But right now they are on a very low dose, .25mg a day. They've only been on it about two weeks so I really don't know if I see results yet or not. Althought my daughter does seem to be talking more.

Old 06-07-2003, 05:36 AM   #10
Inactive

memehegan HB User
The way it was explained to me when they put my son on it (around age 8 I think) is that it is a sedative and slows down his reaction time enough to think through a hyper or aggressive reaction to what ever stimulus he's exposed to. He takes .5 mg with each 20 mgs of ritilin. We use zrytec for bed time- it usually knocks him out cold though it is prescribed for allergies. We tried to use the risperdal for bedtime but it made him so ravenous that he howled well after midnight demanding food! One of the quirks of PDD for him- perhaps related to sensory dsyfunction is without the ritilin he seems to never be full, will eat all of absolutely every thing I cook for him be it 3 # of burger intended for the whole family dinner or 2 dozen muffins made up for his lunch, and put a visible layer of salt on everything. Multiply that cause/effect by 100 when he takes the risperdal without the ritilin! How is the risperdal working out for your daughter? We had hoped that with the gfcf diet he could eliminate the risperdal but just skipping one dose lowers his fustration tollerance level visibly-meme

Old 06-07-2003, 06:40 AM   #11

AngieP HB User
My son has been on risperdal a couple of times and he did gain weight rather quickly. I resisted meds for a long time and finally came to the conclusion that I needed to do something. I took my son to a psychiatrist and he put him on the "brand" new anti-psychotic Abilify. It seems to be working..not so many severe ups and downs. And..his appetite seems to be pretty much normal..but then he's a big eater, and all the wrong kinds of food too. All in all..I'd say this med seems to have less the adverse side effects that risperdal has. Ask about it. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2003, 12:20 PM   #12

Joanne HB User
I went to the DAN conference in Philadelphia a month ago and they gave us a schedule for vaccines. Here it is:
4 months: Hib, IPV
5 months: DTaP
6 months: Hib, IPV
7 months: DTap
8 months: Hib
9 months: DTap
15 months: Measles*
17 months: Hib, IPV
18 months: DTap
21 months: Mumps*
24-36 months: Prevnar
27 months: Reubella*
4-5 years: boosters for Hep B, DTap, IPV split up
* do a blood test for MMR titers. If present, no need for the immunization.

I hope this is helpful. I also can tell you were to get the vitamins and minerals in either a liquid or powder instead of a tablet. My son won't take a pill either. I get mine from Kirkman Labs.

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 06-07-2003).]

Old 06-12-2003, 11:18 AM   #13
(female)

jktbre HB User
be careful. my child developed tardive dyskinesia from risperdal. have a neurologist follow up and monitor your children while they are on this drug. also have them take med vacations as risperdal masks the tardive and sometimes you are not aware that they may be developing it unless you take them off the drug every couple of months or so. early detection in a child , they have a much greater chance or recovery. best of luck.

Old 06-12-2003, 01:29 PM   #14

mommylovesherautisicchild HB User
hi,
My four year daughter was put on this. But she got hives from it. it did not help her at all. She has been on prozac which did not work and she has been on buspar. This did not help either. Besides there is not enough research done on autisic child with drugs like these. I started the gf/cf diet and vitamins. It has done wonders. She also woke up at night until I started the epsom salt baths at bed time.
crystal

Old 06-12-2003, 03:07 PM   #15

sdgarcia234 HB User
Since my kids have been on risperdal they have been talking and communicating a lot more. My daughter has also been pretend playing more. I don't know if it's the meds that is helping or not...

I've heard a little about the epsom salt baths, but not very much. Can you explain to me more about them? Thank you!!!!

Closed Thread