It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2002, 10:52 AM   #76
Inactive

memehegan HB User
I found that if my son took his prescribed ritilin at the same time as the risperdal it counteracted the hunger effects of the risperdal and we are actually monitioring his weight because lunch and snack are at the ritilin peaking times in school and he is just not hungery then, hes been loosing weight but I seems to make up for it on weekends! -meme

Old 09-08-2003, 10:29 AM   #77

RickJ HB User
I have been taking Risperidal for PTSD. I have been on it for more than 3 months and gained 30 pounds, can someone help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 12:37 PM   #78

Sarmor HB User
I have a thirteen year old boy who was on meds for many years - many different meds. He was put on Zyprexa for almost three years and became obsessed with food. He gained thirty pounds. We took him off all meds and while he did struggle in school (a lot due to the fact that no real accommodations were made - too much effort went in to getting him to fit into their program rather than getting a program to fit him) About a year ago we started him on carn-aware - a supplement with l-carnosine, zinc and vitamin E. It has helped him more than any med he ever took. I know it doesn't work for everyone on the autism spectrum, but when it does, it really helps.

Old 09-13-2003, 07:23 PM   #79
Inactive

memehegan HB User
Hi Rick there are lots of drugs besides risperdal you can take. What is ptsd= is it post traumatic stress disorder? if so I also have that and have taken buspar in the past = risperdal is pretty heavy duty- my son takes it to take the edge of his rage- because it is a saftey issue. What exactly is the doctors goal for you on it? My son takes his ritilin with it and it curbs the desire to eat. -meme

Old 09-20-2005, 06:58 AM   #80
(female)

momdeb1 HB User
Re: RISPERIDAL

Hi Anne my son was on respiridal and yes he did gain alot of weight and he also went up to 1.5mg but his behaviour did change for the worse. after lots of tweeking with dose i found the less he was on the better he was behaviour wise and also his weight was easier to controll. My son was not on this long term as i was lead to belive that it is not a long term med please please be aware that although it does say on the information sheets provided with the medication that you do not gat withdrawl symptoms when comming off this med, my sons behaviour was awful not like id seen him b4 he is now on rittalin and that is taking some tweeking as he has adhd and pdd.Just be aware that if a time comes when they want to take him off this med that they have got something in place incase hope this helpsx

Old 09-21-2005, 03:01 PM   #81
(female)

marissamm HB User

my son was on risperdal for years he is 16. he too gained loads of weight also he developed boobs, found out his prolactin level was very high.his doctor took him off it he lost 20 lbs so far but the boobs are still there but they are shrinking a little.his nipple area is also very large. they prolactin hormone is responsible for milk production in women,but he is now on serequel, lamictal and depakote and the combo is working well considering he has a violent past, puberty is tough on these kids as well.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #82
(female)

crys55 HB User

Has anyone had problems coming off of Risperidal. My 15 year old stepson did, to the point of having problems with the police. We are looking for any info on this drug. He has gain almost 100 pounds, ER Dr. thinks he may have Cushing Disease. He has huge pink purple stretch marks, no energy, panic attacks, etc.

Dr. dx him with aggressive personality, We feel he is bi polar, because of the swing of his moods. He has been on Risperidal for about 9 months, it controled his anger but he cut himself off from the outside world. No friends, no school, refused to even go to Dr. appointments. Panics when he goes into a store, if he has to go by himself.

Closed Thread