It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2004, 08:49 PM   #1

PeachyMom HB User
Exclamation Skin peeling off.....eczema and autism!

My son is 6 years old and has moderate autism. He cannot express his needs in sentences and most words he uses are not used in context.

He had eczema very, very mildly for a few years. It runs in my husband's family, but the last 4 months it has flared up bad!!!!! All of his skin dries up and peels off. Whatever lotion I use makes it worse. The doctor put him on prednisone, Zyrtec and gave him a steroidal cream. It went away for 2 weeks then started coming back. Applying the steroid cream helps but only disguises it, not prevents it.

I took him to the dermatologist who also gave him another steroidal cream, which doesn't work as good as the one the family doctor gave us. I did testing on my own since I got few results from the doctors. I tried taking him off milk for a week, then off wheat for a week. I don't use scented anything. I use dye-free detergent, fabric softener, soap, etc. I bagged up all his polyester clothes and he only wears all cotton clothes now. This is so the skin doesn't sweat (like in polyester) and cause the eczema to get worse. He was on the med Imipramine at the time. His neurologist and I took him off of it for 4 weeks and skin did not improve. Therefore, the neurologist and the family doctor ruled the med not the cause for the eczema flare-up. However, the Imipramine did cause him to get mouth sores all the time.

He is now on Risperdal. No change in skin. NO mouth sores either. However, after he started meds in June, I started seeing his eczema get worse, but probably just a coincidence.

We moved in July and I shampooed the brand new carpet to get out all the factory chemicals and dust. The house is extra insulated which makes it more dry. His skin just peels off all over. The face is especially peeling around the eyes. The poor little guy looks so bad on certain days. Has anyone had this happen or know what to recommend?. I want to get a furnace humidifier when we get the money.

I read that people with bad eczema usually have a milk allergy. I am going to buy some soy milk and try that for a few weeks if he'll tolerate it. I should say he has severe sensory issues and is a picky eater. He only eats Gerber 3rd step baby food and oatmeal Gerber baby cereal, regular applesauce, Yoplait key lime and vanilla yogurt and red licorice. So, there are not many things in his diet it could be. He's been on these forever. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!!! Thanks!

Everyone keep up your hard work. IT will be worth it.
Crista

Last edited by PeachyMom; 04-19-2004 at 02:09 PM. Reason: left some words out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2004, 07:40 AM   #2

texasmom990 HB User
Re: Skin peeling off.....eczema and autism!

I can sympathize with your problem. My 4 year old son suffers terribly from eczema. I too went thru all doctors after doctors and all kind of different steriod creams trying to help him. This is the worse time of year for it too with all the pollen in the air.

I finally found a dermatologist that helped. To clear up up the break-outs he gave him 2 different kinds of steroid creams (that we had not tried before) - 1 for morning and 1 for night. He also go an antihistimine to help with the itching. In addition to that we were told to rub him down with Lubriderm lotion 5 to 6 times a day. Also to use nothing but Dove soap to bathe him. After it clear-up, we continuted with the Lubriderm at least 3 times a day. This has help considerably with the frequency of his break-outs. I also give him Zyrtec the nights before I know he is going to be outside for extended periods. Bathing him after he right after comes in from being outside helps too.

When I start to see it flare up again, I start the steriod creams and it controls it before it gets out of hand. I do not have the names of the 2 steroid creams with me right now, but if you want them I will get them to you this evening.

I hope this has been helpful.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:58 AM   #3

PeachyMom HB User

When I start to see it flare up again, I start the steriod creams and it controls it before it gets out of hand. I do not have the names of the 2 steroid creams with me right now, but if you want them I will get them to you this evening.

I hope this has been helpful.[/QUOTE]

Every bit of advice helps! You can give me the names if you want to. My son is on two steroid ointments also. Although, it's not good to continually use steroidal ointment on the skin, so I just dab the spots with it. He has triamcynolone and desonide. Did your son's face looked as if his skin was peeling off almost like skin peels after a sunburn? Strange. My other son has had eczema since he was born and he was always the worst one flared up, but the Elidel works for him and it's non-steroidal. Thanks.
Crista

Old 04-16-2004, 12:34 PM   #4

texasmom990 HB User

He doesn't really have it bad on his face, it's mostly on his hands and feet. And yes it really bad and peels off. One of the creams he uses is desonide. Try the Lubriderm for extremely sensitive skin and see if that helps keep it under control. It has made a real big difference for my son.

Good Luck!

Old 04-16-2004, 09:23 PM   #5

sandyt HB User

I can sympathize! Our son has had eczema since we brought him home at one week old. He was on Elocon for a few years but I wanted him off of the steroid. I tried Elidel but it didn't help and he complained that it hurt (side effect is a burning sensation). He doesn't have any allergies except to cats (which is why we had to put her to sleep, change rugs and furniture). My son's allergist put him on Zyrtec in the morning and hydroxizine (Atarax) at night. She says that you have to stop the itching to break the cycle. The Zyrtec is non-sedating and doesn't stop the itching as well as the sedating Atarax. I have now been able to get him off all steroid creams on a routine basis. I only need to use Cetaphil lotion daily (especially on his hands). For flareups, what works best for him is a 50/50 mixture of OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream and Eucerin cream. For bathing, I have found that Aveeno oatmeal soap is the best for him. Hope this has been helpful!

Old 04-16-2004, 10:51 PM   #6

laellis1975 HB User

My daughter has in the past been hospitalized for skin conditions, including excema, here is what really helps her in bad flare ups: moisturize totally with lotion (wether medicinal or not) and layer in first wet flannelette pajamas then dry flannelette pajamas over top to help lock in the moisture, do this right after a bath or a shower, and only pat them dry, never rub! Do this in the evening at bed time, and through out the day, put on lotion 3 to 5 times in between, but with only normal clothing through the day unless you are only going to be home, then continue with the wet/dry pajamas through out the day also. This really seems to help alot!! Good luck!

Old 04-26-2004, 09:14 AM   #7

rids HB User

Omega 3 fish oil, cod liver oil and zinc supplements eliminated my son's eczema. Most skin problems are a sign of dysfunction and/or deficiency.

Skin peeling can also be a symptom of strep infection.

C-GA

Closed Thread