It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
(female)

frescka HB User
What to eat during yeast die-off? Help!

My daughter (PDD-NOS) is on an anti-candida diet, probiotics and an anti-fungal. She's been at it about 5 days, and she's miserably sick. Her stomach's empty most of the time. She has a little scrambled eggs and some stevia-sweetened organic yogurt, but there's not much else she can stand. She even goes upstairs when we pop popcorn (plain on the stove, not a strong odor.)

This die-off phase is really messing her up. She's looking gaunt-- she was already thin before, but now she's malnourished too. She's not lethargic, she can still answer questions and carry on a conversation. She even has periods during the day when she plays with her sister, but then she lies exhausted all afternoon. There's no fever, but her skin is a tawny color and her eyes are getting bloodshot.

She quite often enjoys the yogurt. I offer her a variety of options at mealtimes, but she never wants anything I offer. (Consequently, she often mentions how much she likes bread sticks, cereal, and fruit snacks. I suppose that's a good sign, those are the appropriate cravings for a detox.) She still drinks water (bottled) and has fairly regular frequency of urination.

But what do I feed her? Usually with nausea, you start out with things like soda crackers and jello. Those obviously won't work. But what interest would a nauseated child have in meat and vegetables? Any ideas?

Did any of your children have severe symptoms, either during anti-fungal treatment or when you started the no-casein, no-gluten diet? I'm obviously worried about her health during this period. I'm also torn, because I know people often quit too soon and never get to see the benefits. When do I say 'enough is enough, this might be doing more harm than good'? Help me!!!

Last edited by frescka; 06-01-2004 at 10:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2004, 07:14 AM   #2
(female)

frescka HB User
Re: What to eat during yeast die-off? Help!

29 people have viewed this and not a single idea? Is there anyone out there whose child has gone through a yeast die-off?

Old 06-02-2004, 02:08 PM   #3

autmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frescka
29 people have viewed this and not a single idea? Is there anyone out there whose child has gone through a yeast die-off?
Don't ya hate that?

Well my son is being treated for yeast, but his overgrowth is slight, so he doesn't need a prescription. He's taking Grapefruit Seed Extract every morning for a month to kill the bad yeast, and a probiotic at night to install the good ones. He went CF, but not GF. We also haven't eliminated sugar entirely, so there are a lot of foods he can have. So I don't have any great advice for you if you have to treat yeast, go CF/GF and eliminate sugar etc. all at once. Seems a bit overwhelming. Hope you find some answers.

Old 06-02-2004, 02:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Freska, I read your post last night and I thought of you while I was trying to sleep. What your daughter is going through breaks my heart. I have read that it can be difficult because of the toxins that the yeast give as they die off. To hear a first hand account makes it seem so much more real and horrible. I am sorry that I don't have any advice I have not gone through it.
The urine test my son had did not show any signs of a yeast problem but we will be doing a stool sample this month to see if it shows a yeast problem.

I will be following this post with great interest. Please keep us posted on your daughters experience. I do hope that the worst is over. I know that their is nothing worse that to see one of your children suffer.

Last edited by BetsyAnn; 06-02-2004 at 02:13 PM.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:02 AM   #5
(female)

frescka HB User

Thank you so much for your thoughts and concern. My daughter is still quite sick, but her color has improved and there's less stress in her eyes. She's gone from tannish-orange to pale. I can tell she's really frustrated and weak, but I can't get her to eat anything. I'm even offering her stuff off the diet now, but she says it will give her a tummy ache. I give her plain yogurt sweetened with stevia (and with a combination of ground-up supplements-- papaya enzyme, antioxidants, B-6, amino acids, acidophilus.) She eats it without complaining, but she says "I eat too much yogurt" and doesn't want it anymore. She hasn't vomited in several days, which means at least what she's eating, she's keeping. I just don't know what I'm supposed to do now.

She's obviously cleaned out quite a bit, but how do I rebuild her diet?

Thanks.

Old 06-04-2004, 12:27 AM   #6
Inactive

jasmine j HB User

Hi, A good website to try is Allergy induced Autism. Many Autistic Spectrum children benefit from the diet your child is following and this charity have a wealth of experiance in helping and supporting people in your situation. Some good books that will help and inspire you also are "cant eat, wont eat" by Brenda Legge and Multi Coloured Mayhem by Jacki Jackson.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:05 PM   #7
(female)

frescka HB User

Thanks for the advice, I think I will check out the website. I'm finally beginning to feel some relief, my daughter appears to be dramatically improved today. She had her "power" yogurt for breakfast and scrambled eggs with tomato paste (instead of ketchup) for lunch. She's still angrily requesting carb foods, but I suppose that's a good sign! Hopefully the withdrawal won't last forever.

Her color has improved a lot. I suppose I don't know what to make of the skin color thing, she's always been so pallid that seeing color in her cheeks seems unnatural for her! She's begun to play again and only rests periodically. Now, if I could only make cucumber chips taste like potato chips...

I'm completely convinced now that she had a terrible overgrowth of candida. Her die-off was almost dramatic enough to earn her a trip to the ER, and from what I hear, that doesn't happen if there isn't too much bad yeast. I feel like we're coming out the other end of a very bad dream. I don't know that I even care if it affects her PDD, I can already tell it's going to affect her health in a big way.

It's not over yet, of course! There's still a lot of dying off to be done, but I'm encouraged. Thank you!

Old 06-04-2004, 04:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User
Re: What to eat during yeast die-**f? Help!

frescka, I was so happy to hear that your daughter is doing so much better!

Old 06-12-2004, 10:28 AM   #9

U. Thomas HB User

I've got a problem with yeast/wheat and I eat savoury flat pancake type things (can't remember the name - xxxx Wraps I think- mind gone suddenly blank) instead of bread and these taste a lot better than rice cakes and all the usual substitutes.

I must add a warning though - I had my children on special diets when young when I heard of allergy induced autism and because of their horrendous skin problems. One of them was treated with de-sensitizers and they became very ill - quite bad actually - so it's something to keep in mind that the cure could be even more harmful - even if its done with the best intention.

The worst allergy was to milk and wholemeal bread which caused dreadful stomach upsets for one boy. Elimination from the diet helped though he eats them occasionally without any problems (he's nearly 15).

Also red ears and high temperature were after eating tomato ketchup but the boys wouldn't give that up and after a couple of years all those reactions disappeared.

hope this helps a bit - sorry I just can't recall the name of the wraps but I'm sure you know what I mean. You can make them yourself quite easily with just flour and veg oil though I've never tried yet.

Old 06-12-2004, 11:46 AM   #10

apinecone HB User

I hope there's no problem posting this name but you might try "Rice Dream" or related products.

Closed Thread