It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2004, 04:59 AM   #1
Inactive

jasmine j HB User
Question strattera for Autistic Children

Has anyone had any experiance with this medication with regard to giving it to their child who has Autism?. It has just been licenced here in the U.K and has been hailed as the new wonder drug. I would love to hear from anyone who has any ideas on this as i am always worried about side effects etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2004, 07:48 AM   #2

GabesMom HB User
Re: strattera for Autistic Children

Well, ever child is different and responds differently to each med, but we gave our son Strattera when the school felt that concerta wasn't helping with his hyperactivity. He was very hyper, but sweet and his behavior was managable. After about a week on this medication, he being violent and aggresive. We were called into the school because he was slamming his head into a wall so many times he was bleeding, he had never done anything like this before. The days following, he was like a crazed person, he was completely unreachable and had stopped eating all together. He constantly hurt himself. His doctor wanted us to keep him on this med for at least 2 weeks to make sure. It was 2 weeks of pure hell. Even though he was only on it for a couple of weeks I felt like it wsn't completely out of his system for at least about 5 months. Like I said, though, every kid is different and just because we had a horrible experience, doesn't mean you will. I'm curious to see if anyone else has had a bad experience with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2004, 11:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

My autistic child has not used this medicine. However, my oldest son, who is not autistic but has alot of the same issues that many autistic people have (hyper-sensitive, ocd, anxiety, add-hyperfocus), has taken it with great success. I would be one of those people that would "hail it as a wonder drug." It has worked so well for him and without any side effects (other than mild stomache upset the first week.)

One very nice thing about stattera is that it does not leave your system quickly. Before taking Stattera my son took buspar for anxiety. It was very obvious when it wore off. He would become very anxious and upset over small things. Strattera stays with him so there is no rebound effect.

Old 06-08-2004, 01:48 PM   #4

alltheanswers HB User

We also were going to give our child Strattera however we were not able to give it to her long enough to determine if it was going to help or not. It only came in tablet form and it *must* be swallowed and not crushed or dissolved since it was a time released type drup I believe. Our daughter simply refused to swallow the pill (or any pills in general for that matter) However I heard that it was much better than Ritalum (spelling???) as it had little or no side effects or rebound effects.

Instead of strattera, we gave her the Adderal XL in capsule form. This drug has worked great for us. It completely calms her down do she can focus in school, counteracts her ADHD issues, eliminates meltdowns (except when she doesn't get what she wants). The capsule can be pulled apart and the pellets can be put into pudding or applesauce. Each pellet has its own time release mechanism and this one works for 8 hours. The only issue is the side effects. You *do* have rebound effects as the medication leaves her system. Also the child will experience a loss of appetite however the appetite comes back in a fury once the medication wears off (just in time for her late afternoon snack after school).

Old 06-09-2004, 05:48 AM   #5
Inactive

jasmine j HB User

Im going to ask about Adderal XL because my son wont take tablets either. We are due to go to get the prescription for Strattera next week and i will mention it then. Thanks for all your help.

Closed Thread