It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2004, 09:17 AM   #1

r_helpmom HB User
TMG from Kirkman different from Vitamin Shoppe?

Hi,

We picked up TMG from Vitamin Shoppe. I'd like to know if anybody has tried non-Kirkman TMG with any result. Also does anyone knows if they are diferent in any way. We may want to cut the 1000mg tablet to a quarter to give the recommended 250mg dosage to my daughter who is 20 months old. We have been giving her DMG for the last 8 weeks also from Vitamin Shoppe.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Real

Last edited by r_helpmom; 08-11-2004 at 09:19 AM.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:02 AM   #2

rywilli25 HB User
Re: TMG from Kirkman different from Vitamin Shoppe?

hey there I am not sure on the difference between the two Sorry for not answering your question, but I would like to know how the dmg has been working for you. I also have a 20 month old daughter and was thinking of trying it. Thanks Rochelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2004, 07:27 PM   #3

r_helpmom HB User

HI Rochelle,

We are not sure how well it worked. We started it at the same time we started GFCF diet. when our daughter was 18 and half months. We would like to believe it did. However we have heard that it is not very effective if she has yeast overgrowth in her gut. We will only know next week when her stool tests come back.

How is your daughter doing? Has she been Dx? Evaluated for EI? Let me know.. we have the same gender and age group to handle and share experiences. My duaghter will be starting EI next week for 5 hours a week. I know that is not enough but it's a good place to start and increase it every couple of weeks till she gets atleast 20 hours. Not sure if you read my daughter's story in an earlier post named "My toddler's story so far". Last two days, my daughter is saying "bubbles" when we bring up the blower to our mouth. BUt today she did not repeat the word "Ball" despite using the bubbles as a reinforcer.. Anyway.. That was our amateur attempt at an ABA protocol. till the real deal begins. Let me know how things are at your end.

Real

Old 08-12-2004, 03:33 PM   #4

rywilli25 HB User

hi there well my daughter Cayla is 20 months old. We knew from the beginning that something wasnt right because she arched her back and neck when held as a newborn. she always threw up her formula even after changing formulas numerous times. she didnt accept solid foods well. It took two months to get her to keep the food in her mouth. At age 6 months she wasnt trying to sit up or sitting with support so we contacted early intervention. She was evaluated and started seeing a pt and ot immediately. She has been in ei ever since. She didnt sit up on her own until she was 12 months old. She still doesnt crawl or walk. She has had an mri, eeg, and all genetic testings and everything is normal. She has never reached for anyone and has always rocked a lot and hand flapped. She has very weird behaivors She pulls her tongue a lot and rolls her eyes up a lot. The therapists thinks these are all stimming behaivors to calm herself down. one of the hardest things to control is her irritability. If we leave this house she goes nuts. She hates the car ride, and really hates going to the store or to eat. It is impossible to go anywhere without a episode. We have her on super n thera, cod liver oil, co enzyme Q10, melatonin for sleep, gf/cf diet, digestive enzymes, calcium, and nystatin for yeast. The only progress we have made is with the eye contact. She lost all eye contact around 12 months old and i started with the cod liver oil at 13 months old and all eye contact gradually returned withing 3 months. we had food allergy test ran and turns out she is very allergic to milk and all cheeses, and she had a low reaction to casein, whey, soy, banannas, goats milk. Pretty much everything dairy. I contribute her eye contact loss to the milk allergy, because at 11 months old i put her on straight cows milk in her bottle and she got really bad. Anyway she really hasnt shown any great progress but we just keep hoping and searching for new things to try. The hard thing with her is i dont feel like she understands anything i say to her. She doesnt communicate at all. She has never used words with meaning. I get advice from other parents saying to use pictures and to explain to her in detail about what we are going to do for the day, so it makes it easier on her, but she doesnt respond to me so i feel like i am talking to a wall. Sorry this is so long but i am just so worried that she will have to deal with this all her life, and it is up to my husband and I to make it so that she wont. I search everyday for new things and welcome any advice. Thank you for listening. Rochelle

Old 08-12-2004, 07:14 PM   #5

Izzorc HB User

Rywillie25.

Does Cayla have any therapy, ABA etc. I have found with my sons ABA where they use pictures it has helped him see that a dog is a dog is a dog. There are pictures of a stuffed dog, a ceramic dog and a real dog. Another helpful thing I found was the Baby Bumblebee tapes, they have the same kind of message. It is a long hard road we must travel with our children, but I would hate to look back and say "I should have done more". Good Luck with your little girl, I wish you and your family all the best.

Corinne

Last edited by Izzorc; 08-12-2004 at 07:15 PM.

Old 08-13-2004, 12:07 PM   #6

rywilli25 HB User

hi corrine I have cayla in pt, st, and ot. my ot thinks that the floor time approach is better than aba, but i dont know. I just ordered one of the baby bumblebee tapes today. I hope it helps. thanks for the advice. rochelle

Old 08-15-2004, 08:54 PM   #7

r_helpmom HB User

Rywillie25,

We have been using the Bumblebee video for about 7 weeks now and our daughter has picked a few words like "flower" "shoe" "dog". The video is of course reinforced by us repeating those words in real life situations like when walking outside. we practically stop at every flower bed or pot and repeat the word 'flower' by pointing to it. Also we take her hand with the index finger extended and touch the flower. We have started doing it for most objects she interacts with at home. Nowadays we guide her elbow and her finger automatically points out.

We too have stopped all milk products. Her eye contact is not great but we see that it did improve after we stopped milk. Biggest improvement was that her ear infections stopped. Later we had tubes put in her ears to drain out excess fluid since her hearing was being affected.

We did not see any major impact due to DMG but maybe it was either due to the yeast in her gut which we are treating with probiotic now. So currently we have stopped dmg. Her sleep is terrible at nght. We may start melatonin soon.

My heart goes out to you and your husband, but persistence is the key and the doors of her mind will be unlocked one by one. God bless.

Real

Old 08-16-2004, 07:19 AM   #8

rywilli25 HB User

hey real thanks for the reply I am glad your daughter is doing well. We have always tried to point everything out to her and say dog, or cat, etc... I am just hoping these videos will give her that extra push. I have Cayla on the melatonin, but I dont think it is working. she is still drowsy during the day and cranky. I give her 1mg I put a call in to the dr. to tell him about it. Maybe she needs more i dont know. I am curious about how your daughter responded to the tubes. My daughter also had ear infections a lot. She hasnt had one in 4 months now, which is a great improvement considering she had one every month. My daughter also will be getting tubes. I was wondering if the fluid in her ears could be making her dizzy and unbalanced feeling, because does not walk or crawl, and doesnt like it when we stand her up. She also falls over when she is sitting up. One thing she does is rolls her eyes back. We had an eeg done to rule out seizures and it was normal. Oh yeah, I noticed you said that the DMG made the yeast worse. I just ordered a trial size of dmg from kirkman. My daughter also has yeast issues. She is on nystatin right now. Should i hold off on the dmg? Anyway thanks for the reply. Good luck with your daughter!!!

Old 08-16-2004, 11:39 AM   #9

r_helpmom HB User
rywilli25, Ear infections may contribute to symptoms too

Rywillie25,
My daughter had back-to-back ear infections since she was 12 months and that's when she was continuously on antibiotics. Till the seventh episode in as many months, we decided to switch docs and the new doc immediately referred us to an ENT. The ENT immediately suggested tubes. In fact teh ENT said that after the third ear infection you shoudl get a referral to an ENT. MY stupid doc did not flag it till we dumped her. Due to consistent infections there used to be fluid build up in her ears. In fact she used to wake up from her day nap holding her ears and crying out in pain. The new doc checked the pressure in her ears. Your doc could do that too with a protable instrument. It checks to see if the ear drums are freely vibrating. If there is fluid behind the ears then the drums will not vibrate freely. For my daughter the graph was flat in both ears which means "no vibration". Whihc means that she was NOT hearing very clearly. We also did a hearing evaluation where it was confirmed that she was hearing high notes but not low ones. Like hearing under water. After the tubes she could hear the cuckoo clock from the next room which she did not earlier

Now we suspected temp hearing loss as a reason for her autistic-like behaviour and yes, she used to also walk like a drunk. The new doc explained the concept of fluid buid-up very simply. When the chid get a cold(infection) the passage between the ear and nose gets blocked. There is a vaccum built up in the inner ear which sucks the fluild from the surrounding tissues. This fluid takes months and months to completely drain. But with more and more infections, the fluid does not go completely away. The tubes equilizes the pressure on both sides of the drum and does not create the vaccum thus no fluid in ears. This was proved recently when our daughter had a runny nose and she was pulling at her ear. We took her to the doc dreading another round of antibiotics. The doc had one look and said .. "wow..looks like it's the first time she has a runny nose and no ear infection". Her ears were clear!

So that may be Cayla's problem too. Also I noticed, Cayla's condition about not wanting to stand up and crumpling to the ground is very similar to Anne-Marie in the book "Let me hear your voice".

Real

Last edited by r_helpmom; 08-16-2004 at 11:41 AM.

Closed Thread