It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 01:10 AM   #1
(female)

jchardy HB User
Klonopin and Focolin

Hi,

My 3 yr old son has PDD/NOS and SID .. His new developmental pediatrician recently tried him on ritalin and melatonin to help him.. The ritalin seemed to work for one day, he was able to sit and attend to some things and after that, nothing other than noting a difference in aggression and hyperactivity, the melatonin was HORRIBLE.. HYPER HYPER.. She then put him on Focalin and Klonopin earlier this week.. Horrible side effects with Focalin, EXTREME aggression and hyperactivity with the focalin, over emotional and we even thought he was having a seizure. The klonopin was prescribed for sleep and the 1st night it worked like a charm, since then nothing! We are all new to medications and such, is this the norm with some of these medicines? I am really concerned because we have been noticing more symptoms of autism, more arm flapping, he licks stuff all the time and the extreme hyperactivity and no sleep and I am at a loss for what to do sometimes.. He has an appt with a child psychiatrist Dec 22nd.. What can I expect from some of these medicines, positive wise?

Old 12-05-2004, 12:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User
Re: Klonopin and Focolin

I have heard that Ritalin is one of the worst things to prescribe Autistic's. I could be wrong, but I believe that I have read that it makes the symptoms worse...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2005, 08:12 PM   #3
(female)

Daniellek HB User

My daughter is 11 and we have been using "Seroquel" this works really well for sleeping the only bad thing is that she has gained weight. This medication is for behavior so talk with your childs doctor first.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
(male)

mango2 HB User

Seroquel didn't help my boy. I took some myself to see what it does. After I got a grip, I called my wife and told her to never give it to the boy again.
We give him Klonopin frequently, but you have to remember that you won't really see much difference. We hope it reduces his horrible anxiety, and we're sure it doesn't increase it.
Right now we're trying Geodon. It seems to help, or at least not hurt. When used with a Klonopin, it can provide the "doggy downer" affect you're looking for. During good days, we may skip the Geodon so he doesn't sleep too much.
I haven't taken the Geodon myself yet, but I plan to. I understand that drugs affect different people in different ways, but you'll be surprised how some of these drugs make you feel. Seroquel is given frequently in large doses to people in institutional settings. I feel very sorry for those poor souls.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
(female)

krisssusan HB User

my child has autism, self injurous behaviors/outbursts....he takes risperidal m-tabs and gabitril

Old 01-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
(female)

krisssusan HB User

we tried geodon and it did ok for a week or two then nothing...see the meds we use on the post above

Old 01-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #7
(male)

mango2 HB User

We were using risperidal for quite a while, and it really didn't help, but we weren't using the other stuff you mentioned.
We had to drive from Ft. Myers to Naples to find a doctor that knew what drugs to try.
My son is has the SIBs and aggression too. It's obvious that hormones play a huge role during the bad periods. When he's in a good phase, he's an angel.

Closed Thread