It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 03:52 AM   #1

Sami34 HB User
Just a little depressed...

HI, I'm new here. My son is 4 1/2 and he's been diagnosed with PDD/NOS. He's gone through early intervention, OT, Speech, and now Special Education pre-school program. I feel sad, exhausted, isolated and a little depressed... Sometimes I just feel like giving up. But I cannot give up so I keep going... and stay strong to help my son, but tonight, I just needed to get these feelings out. I just wanted to be heard. It's 3:45am here and everyone is asleep and I know I need to get some sleep so I can get through tomorrow. Somehow tonight is one of those nights I feel the whole world is crushing down on me. I feel so alone... Thanks for listening everyone. Sami

Old 12-10-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
(male)

KunkMagic HB User
Re: Just a little depressed...

Sami I think any person who has a form of autism has felt what you are feeling at one time or another. Just remember that the autism is something we can all live with. It is not the end of the world. Life with Aspergers and Autism is liveable. I have Aspergers Syndrome and several of my friends have various other stuff, one has a rare autism (don't remember what is called) my girlfriend has Aspergers and ADHD and we have had a long term relationship for almost six years. I also belong to three groups that are solely there for the disabled and autistic. These groups can help. I suggest that you might find one.

Another thing, special education is great, unless your son starts to show progress. When I started Highschool I was intially in Special Education. I worked hard and I got almost totally out of it by the time I was a senior in Highschool. Just remember do not limit him let him live as close to a life without autism as possible. I took classes such as biology, human anatomy and pysiology, and a semester of pre veterinary technician classes at our tech school connected to our highschool. My thing is let them reach for their own goals, some will be reached and others will not but atleast they are trying.

Best Regards,

KunkMagic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2004, 08:43 AM   #3
(female)

Asperger family HB User

That is awesome Kunk, its so funny how asperger people find asperger partners. My husband and I are both aspergers, as life isnt easy for us, it isnt for anybody. Sure Id like to be one of those outgoing people who is always having fun,and not be the worrier I am, but my husband and I have the same kind of personality in many ways, so I feel I can be myself.I'll tell you this much that I know, both of us had the odds stacked against us, but we both have more now at our young age, than alot of our friends who seem to be able to cope and get along better in the world. So regardless of aspergers, anything is possible. I think raising autistic children is a challenge, but my son is so handsome and sweet, I know with all the love and patience he gets, he'll be fine and we as a family will make sure he has all the support he needs to have everything he needs to be independent and healthy.And yet, I myself, have loss of sleep too and worry about what I need to do next and how stressful many days and nights can be. But not today, today im feeling good and its going to be a good day and I hope today is a new day for Sami and a positive one. Hang in there Sami, everyday is unpredictable...its a surprise, so keep your head high and count those blessing because we are all in the same boat and we are here still.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:24 AM   #4

momofchris HB User

SAmi,

I know how you feel. When we were offically told that Chris had pdd when he was 2, I felt guilt and sadness and just bawled. Even though I "knew " already it was hard to hear. I got over it and knew I had to help Chris. 2 years later he is doing wonderfully. He still doesn't talk but can sign a few things and is getting very social to people that he likes. I do have those days (yesturday lol) when I feel no matter what I do Chris is still going to get into stuff. Then I have the good days when hes nice and semi calm and follows directions and doesnt smear jelly everywhere Hang in there

Old 12-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #5

Sami34 HB User

Thanks everyone for your support! Today is a little better than yesterday. I was worrying about so many things and these worries never seem to go away. Especially about kindergarten entry next year.

My son needs extra help in Social / Language skills. We're getting help from the local school district right now. I'm starting to u/stand that being around typical children and its environment is very important.

Is it faire to say that my son would benefit more from going to a private kindergarten with 20 or fewer kids per class full of typical children?! or Special Education Class of 14 with all of them having some kinds of special needs...???

I'm not so sure about public school of 30 kids per class with a shadowing staff. (I will post this school question separately...)

How do I apply for ABA program aside from school?

Old 12-11-2004, 04:03 PM   #6
(female)

donko HB User

Hi Sami,

Just to let you know that I might not understand what you are going through with you son, but i want you to know that you are not alone. God loves you very much; sometimes things happen, or God allows things to happen to the ones we love which we never understand, but he does.

Be strong if you can, and yes cry out loud sometimes if you want to, or come to this message boards when you feel weary, and you will be heard. Anytime you need a word of encouragement or you feel alone, pray, and know you are not alone.

i will surely remember you and your son in my daily prayers.

Always know that, God love you and God loves your son more than you do, more than you can even imagine. You are never alone!

take care, and stay blessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami34
HI, I'm new here. My son is 4 1/2 and he's been diagnosed with PDD/NOS. He's gone through early intervention, OT, Speech, and now Special Education pre-school program. I feel sad, exhausted, isolated and a little depressed... Sometimes I just feel like giving up. But I cannot give up so I keep going... and stay strong to help my son, but tonight, I just needed to get these feelings out. I just wanted to be heard. It's 3:45am here and everyone is asleep and I know I need to get some sleep so I can get through tomorrow. Somehow tonight is one of those nights I feel the whole world is crushing down on me. I feel so alone... Thanks for listening everyone. Sami

Closed Thread