It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 09:21 PM   #1
(female)

krisssusan HB User
Arrow Food/Pica Issues...What is your Experience???

My son changed his eating habits whe he was very young, he stopped eating veges and fruits and also chewed or put strange things in his mouth such as rocks, bugs, clothes. He has stopped the 'strange items' things (ie pica) but now, at age 12, he only like crunchy/textured foods, still wont eat fruits/veges and will even get physically ill at the site of soft things like jello, pudding, sour cream, catsup. He likes to eat chips, crackers, chicken nuggets, grilled cheese, fried chicken, fries, etc etc. My question is......what are some of YOUR experiences with your autistic child and food issues ??????

Last edited by krisssusan; 01-12-2005 at 09:24 PM.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:41 AM   #2
(female)

Joey'smom HB User
Re: Food/Pica Issues...What is your Experience???

When Joey was 3 years old he would like to chew on the top of a pringle can. He did that until the age of four. He has decided that he does not like dairy and refuses all dairy products since the age of 5 1/2. He loves veggies and anything crunchy. He is a very big meat eater. His problem is that he doesnt know when he is full and eats sometimes until he has to throw up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
(male)

mango2 HB User

My 16 yr. old eats a lot when he's in a good phase and starves when in a bad phase.
He eats a lot of spaghetti. He also likes things most kids don't. I think because he's classicly Autistic and nonverbal, it makes him very objective.
He likes his meats with green hot sauce or Heinz 57. He eats sardines with hot sauce. He loves mushrooms. He will infrequently eat salad and will only eat fruit that I make him eat, and then he realizes it's good, such as mangos, lychees, blueberries and tangerines.
Thank God he doesn't have the digestive problems that so many Autistic kids have. He can eat anything.

Old 01-13-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

IBGECKO HB User

Oy, do we have food issues! I'm in the process of trying to get a behaviorist through Regional Center to help us with my ten year old son's food issues, because it's bigger than the both of us! Like krissusan's son, my son has actually vomitted from food that we have tried to get him to eat (he tries to swallow it whole, and it makes him gag and vomit). He won't eat any fruits or vegetables, loves chicken nuggets, pizza, and chocolate cake. He loves meat, but really doesn't eat any side dishes. I used to really stress out over his eating. He ate great until he was about 2 1/2, and then it all changed. He eats beef flavored Top Ramon for dinner almost every night, and it's nearly impossible to pack him a lunch. All he will eat is a small package of Budig Honey Ham. No bread. Won't eat a sandwich. Aaaaaarrrrrrggghhhh! I need help. This is one of his few "typical" autistic behaviors that he exhibits. Oh, and he also chews on non-food items as well. This ties into his sneakiness from another topic. He hides things in his room to chew on that he knows we would take away from him, like the dog's rawhide bone. He also chews on his shirts. They only last a few months before they get holes in them from all the chewing. I make him pay me back for the ruined clothing. If he doesn't have any money, then I find odd jobs for him to do to work it off. It's helped to keep the chewing to a minimum.

Okay, end of rant. This topic has struck a nerve! Other than his learning disabilities, the food issues are the only other big autism behaviors that we have to deal with on a regular basis. Well, that and his sensitivity to smell and noise. Another topic to discuss...

Last edited by IBGECKO; 01-13-2005 at 04:15 PM.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:25 PM   #5
(male)

mango2 HB User

I should add that my boy will chew any non-food item too. Nothing is safe, but strings, shoe laces, pieces of paper and puzzels are favorites. He would also ruin shirts but that has gotten better over the years.

Old 01-14-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
Inactive

off kilter HB User

We really don't have any food issues with little Paul. there are things he loves like Bugig honey ham ( he also hates bread) He does eat a great varity of foods so we have no concern he's not getting a good balance. But he also eats any nonedible he can find. He is a shirt chewer as well, he did give it up when both his front top teeth fell out (He is 7 this month) but now they are growing back he's shirt chewing again. He can chew holes in a new $16 shirt in 20 min. GRRRR! Of course we are working on the mouthing issuse all the time. He started a new school last May called "The May Center" in Arlington Ma. We love this school and they are supper at working with us on the issue. Paul's snack of choice is Crayola crayons.

Closed Thread