It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
(female)

monofmid HB User
Question Autism and menstruation

Hi, I have an almost 11 year old girl who I believe will be starting her period soon because her sister started at this age last year. She does go to the bathroom on her own but she is not good at wiping so I end up having to give her baths if I'm not in there to wipe her. Since she doesn't have great hygiene I'm really terrified about what's going to happen once she starts menstruating. I would like to get feedback from other mothers who have gone through this. Thanks, Erica

Old 02-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
Inactive

off kilter HB User
Re: Autism and menstruation

One of the Mom's I'm friends with started about a year ago to deal with this topic, and found her daughter was afraid of the process each month and my friend also found she had problems with the hygiene issue as she has to help her daughter clean up. After a few months her daughter was no longer afraid of the blood but my friend ran into a problem of only being able to guess when her daughters period was coming and the hygiene issue was still there so after talking to her Dr. She took her daughter to a OB-Gyn and her daughter is now on that birth control pills that you only have a period 4X's a year. i know birth control pills for a young girl sounds strange but my stepdaughter ( who has no disability) and is 23 now started on the pill when she was only 13 because her periods were so erratic and painful. On a positive note the pill makes it eaiser to predict when the period will occur and the periods tend to be shorter and lighter. Good luck I hope other Mom's can help. Your not alone in this issue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #3

Annee HB User

I had a friend who made an arrangement with the school to "homeschool" her daughter for a few days every month until her daughter was reasonably able to care for her own menstruation needs. The mom told me that she wanted the opportunity to convey to her Autistic daughter that there was nothing to fear, before she started to teach her about at-school hygiene behavior.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User

Man I'm glad I have a boy

Old 02-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #5
(female)

monofmid HB User

Thanks for the replies. I'm just a nervous wreck thinking about this. Erica

Old 02-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
(male)

mango2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutekids
Man I'm glad I have a boy
you said it. there's always someone who has it worse

Old 02-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #7
(female)

I Love LJC HB User

Your not alone i have a 9yr old girl .

Old 02-09-2005, 06:49 AM   #8
Inactive

Lisa in Indiana HB User

actually...this may not be a popular opinion here...but I used to work for OBGYN docs for many years...and the BC pill thing is really a very good suggestion. She could be prescribed a very low, low dose pill and she can take them for 3 months...have a period...take them for 3 months...have a period...you get the picture...this way you can "plan" for them. It is my understanding that there is nothing physically wrong with not having your period. Otherwise, it would not be recommended for women by doctors without some serious research. The doc's I worked for stated that you could only have it once a year if you wanted. I am just thinking that you could try this until she is a little older and able to grasp what is happening to her body. It's just a way you could "plan" when she will have them. I know this won't be a choice for everyone...I just think you might want to consider talking to an OBGYN doc.
Thanks for posting this...my dd is 3 and I know that one day, I am going to be in the exact same shoes you are right now. It gives me something else to think about

Old 02-09-2005, 07:14 AM   #9
(male)

mango2 HB User

Birth control pills can also help with complexion problems.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:09 PM   #10
(female)

EJ'sMommy HB User

I would definitely put her on BCP's. It will benefit both of you and her. Good Luck.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:26 PM   #11
(female)

monofmid HB User

Thanks for the suggestions. Someone else mentioned BCP to me before and I was considering it. I just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions. Thanks, Erica

Closed Thread