It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User
Question Low muscle tone

Hi, My son is being seen by early intervention and is beginning to get more services ie: speech therapy and occupational therapy. He was seen yesterday by a new OT and she said he has low muscle tone. He has a very self limited diet and I'm wondering if this is because of a lack of protien ? He is only 2. Should I be worried, his pediatrician never mentioned this. Does anyone else have any thoughts about this ? I have read that low muscle tone falls into the so called " spectrum". but I also know that he doesn't eat much protien. He is the love of my life but also my biggest worry. thanks

Old 02-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #2

Al & Matt's Mom HB User
Re: Low muscle tone

My son has hypotonia as well. I've attempted to research it, but it doesn't seem like anyone knows the cause. They all say it is a symptom of another disorder, so I believe it is a symptom of my son's ASD. They also say if low muscle tone is not diagnosed in the first year it is not as life altering. My son is still pretty athletic for a child with low muscle tone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
(male)

mango2 HB User

They always(OTs) say my son has somewhat-low muscle tone, but his muscles look fine to me and he's extremely strong. He has always eaten plenty of protein, so I don't think that's the problem.

Old 02-12-2005, 06:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User

thanks for the responses. It really caught me off guard when the ot said that although I have noticed alot recently that he is off balance again. He went through a period where he was always off balance, but I thought it was connected to his multiple ear infections. HMMMM...... Always something to think about

Old 02-12-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
(female)

findingdx HB User
Unhappy Re: Low muscle tone

We go to OT'S and PT'S for lots of things one of which is muscle tone(severely weak upper part body and walks on toes so tight on legs). We have done mri of the brain to see if cp but normal results. As fas as the balance could it be gait or motor planning as we work on this everyday. My child got her first black eye when playing frizbe, didn't know how or when to put up arms to catch it. Some things you have to teach them you think they would know how to do(motor planning is a good example). Even things like how to open doors or undo locks or do locks, these are all things we had to teach even at an older age and still teach. I wish i had the answer as why they are weak i just thought it might be lack of how to use those muscles?

Last edited by findingdx; 02-12-2005 at 07:08 PM.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
(female)

kleaf HB User

findingdx, my son also suffers from mild hyptonia (low muscle tone). My son hasn't yet got a diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a form of Autism. I went for almost 2 years without realising anything was wrong, looking back now all the warning signs were there, but at the time I was a new mother and just had no idea.

When my son was a baby it took him a long time to be able to hold his head up on his own, when being picked up by his underarms he'd often almost slip out of your hands as instead of his arms holding their place they'd just slide up, he couldn't crawl properly or sit up on his own until after he was 1 and didn't walk until he was 20 months old.

He is also very double jointed which is a sign of low muscle tone also, his joints seem to hyper extend (they seem to move in both directions).

He is 4 now and to look at him I don't think you can tell, it's not really a physically obvious thing. The only obvious things are that he tired easily now and can't walk long distances, when you pick him up he is often floppy and he slouches down in his seats and the aforementioned double jointedness.

For me I don't think diet had anyhting to do with it because this was present from birth and a baby's only dietary intake that early is milk. Like others have posted, I've been told it's just a symptom of several different disorders.. now I just have to wait and see which one they decide it is.

Good luck with everything.

Old 02-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User

Thank you for the responses. It is very interesting reading about other peoples experiences. My son had his second appointment with his new OT today and I think she is going to be great for him. They really connected and she is a wealth of information. I feel very uplifted tonight !!!

Closed Thread