It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2005, 02:31 PM   #1

Jana2676 HB User
Vitamin Supplements

We are looking into vitamin supplements for our DD. She is 5 and newly diagnosed with autism, developmental delay and mild retardation. She LOVES dairy and bread products, so a diet change would be extremely hard right now. She will only eat certian foods: noodles, rice, breads, cerals, some dairy and some fruits/vegies. She refused to eat more then rice and yogurt for a long time. I thought we could start with some supplements and then gradually work on the diet change. What supplements have been successful with your child? Did you have to try different combinations? Are there any websites that you found helpful making a decision?

Thanks for the help! Jana

Old 02-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
Inactive

memehegan HB User
Re: Vitamin Supplements

Wow! Kids that have are that picky about eating often show the fastest most promising results from the diet- you could search my name on this site- I have written alot about how we did the diet- other signs are excema and rashes, skinny skinny skinny, dry straw like hair, - my son after just four days woke up early but quiet- started playing with toys he had obsessively banished to a shelf forbidding anyone from ever ever touching them- I said Look what you did and he said "Hey, I remember how to play this way!" He had built an escape ship from a prison moon! It was amazing. With in weeks I began getting my first every I love yous and hugs and eye contact and non stop chatter! The diet is truely a nightmare but benefits out way any reservations I may have had- at first I only committed to trying for a week durning our vaction- after that I had to stay with it. Most ordinary people have no idea he has aspbergers when they met him now! -meme

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Memehegan has some very good advice.

The supplement that has helped my son the most is fish oil. He takes 1/2 tsp of codliver oil and 1 capsule of omega-3. After researching it I am convinced that everyone should be taking omega-3-fish oil. Even the mainstream medical community is starting to recommend this to prevent heart disease and alzheimers along with a host of other medical conditions. These essential fatty acids are so important for normal brain function.

I will post some of the other supplements later.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:35 PM   #4

Jana2676 HB User

Thanks for the info! We have a meeting with the DR next week to disucss diet/vitamins. I wanted to see what has worked for others.

Jana

Old 02-23-2005, 02:45 PM   #5
(female)

KathleenW HB User

I have used B6, magnesium and DMG for about 2 and half years and have had excellant results with my four year old. If you do a search on these vitamins and autism you will see that it has been scientifically proven to help children with autism. When we removed all dairy from my son's diet he went from 25 words to over 200 in one month. I think you should eliminate milk for a couple of weeks and see if you get any results. If not than you could always go back to it.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:12 PM   #6

Jana2676 HB User

Thanks! I think we will cut dairy first, then ease into the diet. I have been reading Meme's old posts with whats worked for her child, so thats a help!

Thanks! Jana

Old 03-01-2005, 05:02 AM   #7
(female)

mom2chris HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenW
I have used B6, magnesium and DMG for about 2 and half years and have had excellant results with my four year old. If you do a search on these vitamins and autism you will see that it has been scientifically proven to help children with autism. When we removed all dairy from my son's diet he went from 25 words to over 200 in one month. I think you should eliminate milk for a couple of weeks and see if you get any results. If not than you could always go back to it.
Where can you buy the DMG? I looked at GNC and even the salesclerk didn't know what it was. I've had my son on B6 and magnesium eversince I've read about it, even before his DX. I can't see him going off milk, since that's the only thing he'll drink besides water, he doesn't drink soda at all, and he'll only take a few sips of juice or tea if there is no choice. He's a very picky eater, and his favorite foods mostly have cheese in them.

Old 03-01-2005, 06:11 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User

They sell it at GNC. It is called Di Methyl Glicine DMG. You can also got Kirkman laboroties... do a web search for it. They make supplements geared toward Autistics and diet intervention.

Old 03-01-2005, 06:26 AM   #9
(female)

mom2chris HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cutekids
They sell it at GNC. It is called Di Methyl Glicine DMG. You can also got Kirkman laboroties... do a web search for it. They make supplements geared toward Autistics and diet intervention.
Thanks!

Old 03-01-2005, 08:27 AM   #10
(female)

KathleenW HB User

They do not have DMG at my GNC either. Most vitamin stores do carry it. I have checked Vitamin World, Vita mart and others and all have it. Like someone else said it is very easy to buy it online.

I know it will be hard and everyone needs to decide what is best for their own child, however, I just don't see how it could hurt to try the milk elimination. My son's entire diet was milk also. He drank about 5 glasses of milk a day, had cheese and yogurt for snacks, loved Ritz bits peanut butter crackers (they have milk in them!). Have you ever tried Vanilla Rice milk or Vance's Dairy Free?

Last edited by KathleenW; 03-01-2005 at 08:40 AM.

Old 03-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #11
(female)

Tammy1 HB User

My son wouldn't drink anything but milk and soda until I took him off dairy completely. Now he will drink water and juice.

Old 03-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #12
(female)

glsmom HB User

I really hope you try the diet most health food stores sell cereal and breads pancakes waffles everything your child eats now in a gluten free version my daughter is very good about understanding that there are some foods she can and cannot eat I thinks she knows how much better she feels and does not even argue now about foods that she could not live without before. Good luck!

Closed Thread