It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

sgarcia21 HB User
Question Medicaid & ABA Therapy

Has anyone had any luck getting Medicaid to pay for ABA Therapy. I found a school that sounds good but it is 1550 a month. We can't take out a loan...I really what to get my son into aba. Does anyone have advise.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:45 PM   #2

Laceychase HB User
Re: Medicaid & ABA Therapy

Hey sorry I can't offer any advice, just wanted to let you know we are currently fighting the same battle with NO luck so far. How old is your child depending on what state you live in Early intervention or public school often pay part or all of ABA. I live in Ga our early intervention pays up to 1200 for consultion but nothing after that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

trvlkat72 HB User
Smile Re: Medicaid & ABA Therapy

S Garica,
I live in a small town that did not offer much in the way of educational programs for Autistic kids.
The county that we live in is paying fro my son to go to a private school.
His school that he goes to is based around ABA.
If your child is not getting what he/she needs , it's you right to see that the school district provides . It may be a battle and you may have to get an educational attorney, but in the long run it's is worth it .

Good Luck

Old 03-18-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
Inactive

off kilter HB User

All I can do is tell you some of the steps we had to take to get our local school to pay for a ABA-private school for my son. Hope it gives you some ideals.My son Paul did a building block program ABA and floor time 30 hours a week at home ages 1 to 3. He then attended a delayed lang. and social skill program in our school system ages 3 -6. He aged out of the local school program and by the last 6 months it was nothing more then a babysitting service. Paul's behavior even in a Sped classroom was dangerous for him. he mouths everything and they were always calling poison control, he was bolting from the playground that had a opening in the gate to a busy city street, he would get into the utility sink in the classroom plugging the drain with his but and running the water for a bath, He has ear tubes and was constantly putting his head in the toilet and flushing it, he would climb on the window sill and look down thru the open window onto the city street. I knew the school system would want to move him to a different program where the kids had a varity of severe disability and would not be focused on what Paul could do or learn but more focused on how to controll him. I feared he would continue to slip down the slope to lower and lower functioning classrooms based on self help skills he did not have and would lose out on his education. This is what we did.
It was Sept. 2003 and he would have to move June 2004. I went online and pulled up a list of approved 766 schools in Ma. and looked at their profile narrowing the list to those schools that took Autistic kids in Paul's age range, offered 12 month day programs and were within a certain travel range from my home. Your child can be in a cab up to 1 hour or more if they get a waiver. I then went to each school or program site and took a good look at the programs. Looking for their phlosphy. their student makeup. I also did a search for complaints,lawsuits, etc on each school. One school had a amazing number of court cases where staff had been found guilty of assult charges against students. I looked at schools that bragged a computer for every student and found programs that had machines attached to computers that rewarded students with treats if they got right answers. ( It gave me the creeps). I knew of the May program all along and as it turned out it would be the best choice. Now how to get the school system to pay $65,000 a year?. We called the May in Nov. 2003 and arranged ( behind our school systems back) to take a tour. it is your right! We toured and met with staff. We also filled out a application ( also without our school system knowing). We then arranged to have our son evaluated by the May ( also not showing our hand to our school system) to see if they would accept him. There was no fee for the application or evaluation. Once Paul had been accepted Feb. 2004 and we were waiting for a spot. We called our school system and asked for a meeting to discuss Paul's placement in the spring. When we went to the meeting we told school staff about our interest in the May and I feel they tried to bully us. They told us we had to apply to at least 3 schools(not true) they said we were not allowed to visit schools without their permission ( not true) They said they would not pay for a evaluation by the May ( True but the eval. was paid for by the May) When we asked what other schools they thought would be good for Paul? We were ready. They mention 3 or 4 programs and I had a folder on each one with pros and cons ready. They said how about XXX and I said they do not use ABA or how about YYY and I asked them if they knew that school since 1999 had been taken to court on 8 different assult charges against student 6 found guilty one staff member had a warrent out for his arrest but had fled the country. You have to do your homework! Once we settled on the May it did get tricky because the May contacted us a slot was open March 2004 but If Paul did not take quickly he would lose it and they could not promise him space in the spring. I won't bore you with details concerning digging my heels in to get Paul moved early . But he's at the May. Paul, since attending The May institute is making amazing progress in all areas. His new classroom is 4 students 6 teachers and he is safe.

Old 03-18-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User

Off kilter, Is the May Institute in Arlington Ma? If so, what school district were you having the problem with initially? My son is 28 months at the moment and the developmental pediatrician is suggesting aba therapy. He will continue his early intervention services until age three but I want to get moving on the aba now so that there is no lag time. I have truly found the early help to be beneficial. thanks

Old 03-18-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

Hi all. I am new to this forum and have a question about ABA. My son was dx's with ASD Jan 04. He just turned 4 two weeks ago and has been in therapy since 17 months old. He was approved (thru the school district) for 10 hours of home ABA therapy last june and has been doing well with it. I got a call from my son's ABA supervisor a few days ago regarding his upcoming IEP meeting. She proceeds to tell me that she's putting in for an increase of 20 hours of therapy per week.....so that would take us to 30 hours per week. She goes on to tell me the reason she's asking for so many hours is because she knows they would never give that much but she'd be happy with an additional 5 hours a week. Well, my son's IEP meeting was today and guess what? the school district agreed to pay for 30 hours per week. we were both shocked!!!!! so why am i soooooo nervous. this is a HUGE commitment and frankly i don't know if we are up to it. I certainly don't want to turn it down but with 2 other children in the house, how would we do it. 6 hours of ABA plus 3 hours school everyday. too much?

so my question is......anyone out there already in the same situation and see big benefit from it.

thanks.

Last edited by MOM23ANGELS; 03-18-2005 at 07:31 PM.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

My initial reaction to your post was-"Are you crazy! The school district will pay for ABA and you are thinking of declining!" Of course this reaction was pure jeleousy. Most of us can only dream of having that dilemma.

Now, putting aside the envy, you know your son better than anyone-so trust your instincts. I think that after looking into it you will know what is best for him and your family. The research shows that most kids benefit greatly from such a program. However, each child and each family are different.

My actual advice would be to at least try the extended hours of ABA. If it doesn't workout for your family you can always cancel them. However, if you decline the offer you will probably never get it back.

Old 03-19-2005, 02:16 AM   #8
Inactive

off kilter HB User

Jeffriesmom--The May school for Autism is presentlly in Arlington ( they have other location in Ma.) but is housed in what was a Catholic school and the church and school has been sold.. They will be moving to a new site in Randolph in Sept sounds like a hike but it's right up a main highway and Paul enjoys the ride to school. The parents of the 3 year old girl are also going to be sending her to the new location despite her age because she is doing amazing with their program I would go to their website and look at their school locations and information. If you are interested at all just give them a call it cost you nothing to set up visits to their schools, take a tour.. They have a intergrated preschool program for ages 3 to 5, that includes both preschoolers with Autism and the preschoolers of staff. The little girl that rides the cab with Paul is 3 she turns 4 in a few months and is in that classroom. I don't think we are allowed to give our hometowns on the board but I can tell you Ch***ea. The May has kids from allover including the Boston school district and as far away as New Hampshire. Please keep me updated on your progress looking for a school. Check out their website. Good Luck

Last edited by off kilter; 03-19-2005 at 02:18 AM.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:02 AM   #9
(female)

KathleenW HB User

I think you should definitely take advantage of the ABA. It is so important. ABA is also the most effective in retraining the brain before the age of 5. It seems like having six hours of ABA would make it much easier not harder on your other two children. If your child with autism is with a tutor for six hours, than that is six hours you have to focus on your other two children.

My theory when I started my son's ABA program at 33 months was do as much as possible when he was still young. I did not want him to be five years old and say I wish I had done more.

I hope that one day everyone with a child with autism will have the option to have free ABA for their child. You are extremely blessed. I wish the best for your son and your family.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:35 AM   #10
Inactive

off kilter HB User

Paul has made the biggest gains with ABA. We saw temendouse changes between ages 1 and 3 with ABA. Then he did a delayed.lang and social skill classroom from ages 3 to 6 and stalled in development and even lost some skills. He's back in a ABA program for the last year and is thriving. All kids are different but ABA has been the way to go with Paul. reguler SPED programs tried to teach him imitation skills by having him learn the signs used for example "Twinkle Twinkle little star" 3 years of it and he still did none of the signs independently ( not to mention we were sick and tired of hearing that song). ABA teaches Paul one tiny step at a time. Like the simple command clap hands. The teacher claps and says clap hands. If Paul does it he gets to play with a favorite toy. If he doesn't she repeats and models clap hands. Paul picked up real fast and will now imitate clapping hands. Yeah! after a few months Paul began clapping when ever it was appropiate, with other kids. And he knows he has mastered a skill and is amazed and happy. He is rapidly picking up other imitation skills and now is looking for things to imitate. Go for the ABA you can always reduce services if it doesn't work out.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:45 AM   #11
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

thanks for your input ladies. after sleeping on this last night, i thought the same thing. "am i crazy? my husband and i have always said from the get go....we would never forgive ourselves if we did'nt do and accept everything they (therapists, teachers) tell us to do. my nervousness came after speaking to my dad yesterday who happens to be in complete denial about my son. "How can you do that to him!" He'll be exhausted everyday." why do i bother even sharing info with him. he is a very loving grandparent but for some reason can't accept this. Ofcourse, i will go ahead with the increase (doesn't start until June). I will just include his ABA therapists in any summer time activities i plan. I don't think they would mind spending a few hours by the pool or the park. thanks again.

i also pray that every family will eventually be able to take advantage of free ABA therapy.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:49 AM   #12
Inactive

off kilter HB User

Paul's at home ABA staff was more then willing to go out and about in the community with him including attending a play group I found at the local library. there were things I could do with Paul that would have been to difficult to do on my own. Keep us posted.

Closed Thread