It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #16
(female)

Kolby HB User
Re: What is your child obsessed with

Wow, you all have such interesting children. They all have their thing they like to do. Imagine if all our children were in a room together with their obsessions...LOL. We could tape it and win the ten thousand dollar prize for America's funniest home video. I believe it just makes our children unique and very interesting.

Though it has gotten to be less of an interest to him, Kolby loves letters, numbers and puzzles. He understands the concept of counting, he knows all the colors, a lot of shapes, all the alphabet and the sounds they make in any order. He even remembers our computer password and types it in whenever he feels like playing. He creates short cuts and knows all of his favorites by their spelling. Now at 3 that doesn't seem so unusual but when he was two it was amazing. I love showing him off to other people. He may be hiding his eyes but bring out the alphabet and he's shouting out each letter with the biggest smile on his face. Most people are surprised since Kolby is mostly quiet around other people.

Thank you all for sharing.
Michelle

Old 04-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #17
(female)

kuppermama_3 HB User

this is obsessive compulsive disorder and my son has it really bad he will tear his room apart 16 times a day and put it back together again which i don't know about you but i'm just glad he puts it back together lol it can be really hard sometimes cause once he starts something he wont stop until he gets it done no matter were we are i just wish you all the best cause it don't get better at least it hasn't for my son god bless you all and i hope for the best

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #18

Jana2676 HB User

My DD, age 5, is rarely with her Scooby Doo. Her Scooby fixation is another story, lol. DD likes small accesory objects that come in the Barbie or My Little Pony packages. For awhile she carried around a Barbie Breakfast Tray. She also carried around a Barbie laptop computer, it was about the size of a credit card cut in half. She also has at least 20 boxes, treasure boxes, gift boxes, jewlery boxes, etc. They were all on her bed in her dollhouse. She had ot sleep with them. She tends to fixate on an object for about 6 months, then moves onto something very similiar.

Old 04-09-2005, 06:20 PM   #19

Al & Matt's Mom HB User

My 3 1/2 year old is obsessed with Vsmile and Nintendo 64. He would play it non-stop if I let him. I comfort myself with the fact that at least Vsmile is educational...

Old 04-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #20
Veteran
(female)

caliente HB User

Old MacDonald Had A Farm.

i cannot get my five year old daughter to stop singing it. it is slowly driving me crazy.

Old 04-10-2005, 05:49 PM   #21

happyhelper HB User

One child that I work with is obsessed with sewers, drains, air vents, and water meters. If he is a good boy, he is allowed to look at any of the above at the end of the day. The funniest is when he chooses to look at a sewer- he is down on all fours, facedown in a busy parking lot for a countdown of 10 seconds... I'm sure people wonder what the heck we're doing!!

Old 04-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #22
(female)

jasiusmom HB User

Our 3 1/2 year old is obsessed with watching wheels. He rolls trains and cars on the floor or lines them up and looks at the wheels upside down. It probably accounts for at least 3 plus hours per day of play since he was really little. Luckily, he will actually play with them now...the way they are intended to be played with...sometimes, that is.

Old 04-10-2005, 06:44 PM   #23
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

my 4 year old loves books. not picture books but dictionaries. he loves letters and what a better place to look but a dictionary.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:23 PM   #24
(female)

kuppermama_3 HB User

to the parent of the kid that liked to take off there clothes did your child have problems with potty training cause my son was so hard to potty train it took him until he was almost 6 to finnaly get it and yes i do agree that if all of our children were in the same room it would be very amusing we could probubly win that prize or maybe another one for the most patient mothers in the world lol

Old 04-11-2005, 08:29 AM   #25
(male)

zak's dad HB User

Zak is also obsessed with wheels. He flaps his arms like crazy anytime we see something that spins. At the park he loves to go up to people's strollers and spin the wheels. My older son was very into Thomas and we still have his trains. A couple of them run on batteries. Zak will spend hours watching them go around a track (that I build of course). His way of playing is to add cars to the train until it is so heavy the engine can not pull it anymore. Then he gets frustrated and starts screaming. Sometimes I think it's cute and other times I just want to sit there and scream with him.

Zak's Mom

Old 04-11-2005, 03:01 PM   #26
(female)

Kolby HB User

It seems my son wants more and more balloons. He isn't pouring things as much. I think it's because he can get outside in this nice weather. But he driving me crazy with these balloons. He has always been obsessed with letter and numbers but now he wants to count everything. Today he was sitting by the back door counting all the balls in our back yard over and over again. We have a lot. But that doesn't bother me..it's those balloons we have to bring everyplace!!!
Michelle

Old 04-12-2005, 12:47 PM   #27
(female)

marissamm HB User

my son is 16 his obsessions are wallets watches and coins, he loves numbersand counting if you ask him questions like how old is someone if they were born in 1875 he will tell you in 1 min without a calculator. he is soo obbsessed with the state quaters that he knows when they came out if their out and whats on all them. but he doesn't know much of anything else.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:37 AM   #28
(female)

texturedrose23 HB User

my son is 4 next week and he is obsessed with trains, cars, and bikes he also pours drinks from cup to cup, and playing games on the computer mainly scobby doo!!!! he is also obsessed by numbers on street lights and we darent miss one!!!

Old 04-13-2005, 07:01 AM   #29

rids HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrose
UUgh!! Washcloths!! he chews on them all day long!! and will only chew on one brand of them too! his therapists call it a "blankie" instead of a washcloth or rag. We have a drawer full of these washcloths and he will go through the drawer digging and feeling the texture of each one before he finds the perfect one for the day, lol!! I figure, well, it's either we let him have that, or he chews on his shirt collar and gets a major skin rash.
The "chewies" are usually a sign of zinc deficiency...

Old 04-13-2005, 02:51 PM   #30
(female)

bzybeader HB User

My little guy is obsessed with Pokemon...the stuffed animals have battles all day, we have to participate in the 'right' way..he carries the backpack all over. He 'is' a Pokemon during parts of the day, and his sister must be one, too. Pokemon videos play, and Pokemon shows are sought out. Last, but not least, his Gameboy is mostly used for Pokemon games. He's only 4, but he can tell you anything you ever want to know about any of the Pokemon.

When he was smaller, it was Toontown.com, and before that, 'bigs' (trucks) and any/all trashcans.

Closed Thread