It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
(female)

Cazzie HB User
Recognising Emotions

My 10 year old autistic step son has a hard time with his emotions. When he loses at a game or something on the computer makes him mad he acts out and blames his eyes for leaking and rubs them so hard, we're afraid he'll damage them. He's extremely bright and has a CD rom that explains many body functions like digestion and reproduction. He has a pretty good grasp on where babies come from and what makes him go to the toilet. Are there any CD roms out there that can help explain where his emotions come from and that it's not his eye's fault that he cries? I think that if he recognises that his emotions come from an area in his brain and then are processed through his frontal lobes (or in his case, not processed very well sometimes) he'll be able to imagine his emotions and control himself better.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
(female)

Mellybean HB User
Re: Recognising Emotions

I am a college student studying speech pathology, i just recently did a webpage on autism and theory of the mind for a class... (don't think i can give the web address here). One of the resources i used was Navigating the Social World by J. MaCafee (not sure if i got the last name). It is more like a teachers manual, with a curriculum on how to teach children how to recognize their emotions, others emotions etc. The book is recommended for children with High Functioning autism and Aspergers. I don't know where someone would find it, as i stumbled on it in the teachers section of my university's library. But it had a couple of pages of smiley faces that showed all different emotions, and a bunch of things to do to help a child recognize different emotions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 07:29 AM   #3
(female)

Cazzie HB User
Re: Recognising Emotions

Thanks Mellybean,
I'll check it out.

Closed Thread