It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
(male)

treinhart HB User
Homeschooling help, 1st grade coming.

My wife and myself are going to homeschool our 5 year old when school starts back up but district isn't making it easy. They gave information for children who do not have autism and we need help finding out what corriculum is expected for us to provide to our child. It would seem they could supply what they expect to see as a minimum, it just seems as parents of a child with autism we are getting the short end of the stick.

We live in Pasco, Florida. We are brand new to this but for personal reasons feel it will be the best direction for our child. He regressed after going to k/autistic, we have a lawyer who is helping us with situations that happened in the public school system.

Thank you to any one who can help us with this.

treinhart

Old 05-27-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
(female)

Kolby HB User
Re: Homeschooling help, 1st grade coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treinhart
My wife and myself are going to homeschool our 5 year old when school starts back up but district isn't making it easy. They gave information for children who do not have autism and we need help finding out what corriculum is expected for us to provide to our child. It would seem they could supply what they expect to see as a minimum, it just seems as parents of a child with autism we are getting the short end of the stick.

We live in Pasco, Florida. We are brand new to this but for personal reasons feel it will be the best direction for our child. He regressed after going to k/autistic, we have a lawyer who is helping us with situations that happened in the public school system.

Thank you to any one who can help us with this.

treinhart

Wouldn't it be better for you child to get the socialization that he/she needs from a school. This way they can learn to deal with societies rules and not just Mom and Dad's. They can learn to read people's cues?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
Inactive

off kilter HB User

We can't post web sites but a search for (Homeschooling special needs Florida) Will give you a multiple of leads. I don't know what county your in.Post back if the search info helps.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:16 PM   #4
(female)

sunnybrook HB User

Hello Treinhart,

We pulled our son out of public school in the middle of this year to homeschool. It was the best decision we ever made. Our son is in third grade and has AS. I don't live in Florida and state laws regarding homeschooling are different state to state. So, one thing I would suggest is to research Florida state law regarding homeschooling. Some states are more strict than others on records you have to keep and things you have to report to the school district. That should also give you a list of what subjects are required for each grade level and also any laws that would apply to kids with special needs. Usually you can choose whatever company you would like to purchase your books from there are companies that specialize in selling homeschool curriculum and have grade level packages. Some states also have a law that if you would like to use the same books as the school district then they have to allow you to borrow them. Going to curriculm fairs and looking for support groups who homeschool in your state is a good way to find support and suggestions regarding things for your state requirements too. Hope I was of some help. Welcome to homeschooling hope it is a wonderful experience for your family.

Becky

Old 05-28-2005, 02:11 AM   #5
Inactive

off kilter HB User

As far as socialization and social roles. There is a wealth of things you can do to ensure your child learns those things. I have not homeschooled but am very proud of how my son who is severly affected by Autism ( age 7) has learned things He could not learn at school, like socially acceptable behavior on buses,subways and in reastaurants. Our community offers alot of programs for kids in the 3 to5 age range like shows at the library,music and gym classes, playgroups. Local museums offer educational preschool groups. I started a playgroup with 2 of the mom's I met who also had children with Autism on Sat. we rotated houses each week with one Sat. off a month. It was relaxing to get together and not have to worry about our children's quirks. The three boys were very different in the way Autism affected them and they were fun to watch together. One of the Mom's had a new baby and it gave the other boys a chance to learn about babies. If you continue to homeschool as your child gets older it may be harder to get the social oppertunities as local programs tend to be more drop your kids off and at least my son needs constant supervision. I was lucky preschool groups where Mom's got to stay allowed my son to still participate despite his being at least physically a little old for the groups. At some point he did start looking like a goon as he is a big kid anyways. He does do special olympics now and we have contacted the boy scouts looking for a den for him. Good luck keep us posted.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:08 AM   #6

Jana2676 HB User

I have been looking for homeschooling resources for autistic kids, and have run across some interesting links. Type in 'home schooling autistic kids' and quite a bit comes up. You can also contact some local home school groups in your area to help you meet the requirements of the school districts. My daughter is in a special ed preschool. SHe is supposed to start kindergarten next year, but has a hard time functioning in a large class. So she will be in the pre-school, but the teachers will try to slowly introduce her into the kindergarten class. We are afriad she won't get the educational attention she needs, so we are looking for a way to help educate her at home. She can write her name and we are working on getting her to write the alphabet and numbers, read, etc. She loves doing it and when it starts to get stressful, we switch to something else. Its going well so far. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
(male)

TylerParr HB User

Jana I just wanted to say that I love your name. Janna! I also wanted to say that California is a nice place. Have you been to Irvine? Also, I am sorry to hear about your daughter, and hope that everything turns out fine.

Closed Thread