It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 06:20 AM   #1
(female)

claste HB User
how much supplements?

Bought magnesium, cod liver oil, and vitamin B6, no mention on the packaging on how much to give to a 4 yr old, so i'm asking all, how much? Thanks

Old 06-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #2
(female)

DaVinci HB User
Re: how much supplements?

Super Nu-Thera

Use: Autistic spectrum disorders.

Action, if known: This multivitamin supplement has been crafted to the specifications of the Autism Research Institute. It contains vitamin B6, magnesium, and other nutrients.

Side effects: Increased agaitation and hyperactivity are sometimes reported. If numbness or tingling occurs in hands or feet, reduce dose or discontinue use.

Interaction hazards: None known.

Tips: This product is available in liquid, powder, and capsule form. There is more than one formulation: contact Kirkman Labs for more information.

I believe their amount of magnesium is 125mg/1 teaspoon/day. You want to start off slowly anyway, if you have a 125mg tablet than cut it in half or quarter. Really it's important for them to have a balance of all the vitamins and minerals. Giving just vitamin B6 can cause numbness and tingling in the hands, they should get all the B's, like in the multivitamin. I remember I started with just a 1/4 tsp of their powder/day, you have to start slowly cause I think it's the niacin that causes the flood gates to open and you'll get all kinds of pooping. The cod liver oil is another one we use, was just giving him 1/day than DAN upped it to 3/day - keeping in mind my boys 13 and 150lbs. Your child will be safe with 1/day. I urge everyone to try the SuperNuThera or similar type multi vitamin, it was formulated especially for our kids!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
(female)

KathleenW HB User

Hi! My son just turned 5 and we use 100mg of B6, 250 mg of magnesium and DMG daily (It has the correct dosage for age on the DMG bottle.) B6 does not cause numbness in the hands. That is a side effect of B6 if you overdose on it. B6 is also very affective in helping Alsheimer's patients with memory loss. I agree with the other poster it is better to start out with less and then you can add more after a week or so. Good Luck! I have been using all 3 supplements daily since my son was 2. He is currently indistinguishable from his peers and will start a regular kindrgarten in August. We just got back his test scores for Kindergarten entry exams. There are 5 different tests (one being how they get along socially when observed with same age peers) and he scored in the 97th percentile in all areas!!!!!!!!!!!!! My mom started crying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2005, 07:49 AM   #4
(female)

Alexanders mom HB User

What is DMG? Also I have trouble getting my 3yr. old take anything. The only thing I have had any luck with is chewable gummy bear vitamins.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:59 PM   #5

Jana2676 HB User

You really need to have your DR tell you the dosage amounts. Too much of a good thing can be bad.

Closed Thread