It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2005, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

claste HB User
Question autistic behaviour

hi everyone, my daughter has started to display some autistic behaviour, shes lining things up, and its everything from books to toys, i went upstairs onto our landing and there was a huge line of books from the top stair all the way through to her bed, is this a behaviour i should be redirecting or should i let her get on with it? shes done alot this summer holiday and i'm thinking its her way of closing her senses off to whats going on around her until she can continue progressing. things shes done are - be potty trained, learnt how to use a computer and mouse, enjoyed outings ie picnics, swimming, walks, theme parks etc, i'm thinking shes done alot, is this her way of de-stressing? would be grateful if anyone replies, thanx in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
(female)

BabyLuv HB User
Re: autistic behaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by claste
hi everyone, my daughter has started to display some autistic behaviour, shes lining things up, and its everything from books to toys, i went upstairs onto our landing and there was a huge line of books from the top stair all the way through to her bed, is this a behaviour i should be redirecting or should i let her get on with it? shes done alot this summer holiday and i'm thinking its her way of closing her senses off to whats going on around her until she can continue progressing. things shes done are - be potty trained, learnt how to use a computer and mouse, enjoyed outings ie picnics, swimming, walks, theme parks etc, i'm thinking shes done alot, is this her way of de-stressing? would be grateful if anyone replies, thanx in advance.
Hey there claste

I would really be hesitant to diagnose your daughter with any type of delay or condition until you have seen a pediatrician or someone that works with autustic children. You didn't mention your daughter's age, but by what you wrote everything else looks great!

Potty training is a big step toward independence and it looks like thats been achieved (luck you . As far as outings and such she seems to be doing great there as well which is a good sign. She is probably just doing normal play routine with her lining her toys up so I wouldn't worry too much about that .

If you are still concerned you can get in touch with a First Steps program in your area for 1 to 3 years old. I don't think a child has to necessarily display the signs of any delay in order to receive services. Sometimes a parent might get an evaluation for their child simply for peace of mind. Go ahead give them a call and see what they suggest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2005, 02:54 AM   #3
(female)

claste HB User

i'm sorry babyluv i forgot to mention shes 4 yrs old and was diagnosed autistic at the age of 2.5yrs, this is the first "stereotypical" behaviour that shes displayed that is linked to autism, ie she doesn't hand flap, she doesn't toe walk, she sleeps well (touch wood!), no aggression, very loving, you get what i'm saying, usually when she develops weird obsessions ie socks on hands (which she does no more) we leave her be, but because lining things up is quite "autistic" (hope i haven't offended anyone), should i detract from this behaviour or let her be? i'm sorry i wasn't very clear, and thanx for replying.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:45 AM   #4
(female)

D & K's Mom HB User

My oldest is a "liner-upper". He as done it sence he became a mobile infant.And still does it today and he's 8 1/2 ( he gets mad if I forget that half!!) But when he was younger, and he didn't use the toys like you would expect, ever, just line them up. I did teach him to play with them. For example, I taught him to roll his matchbox cars, and make silly engine noises. I never discouraged him from lining things up. just showed him that there is more than one way to "Play" with this toy. Now, he chooses to "display" certian things. Sort of a putting it to use, i guess you could say. He has several shelves in his bedroom, and he likes to line up his seashell collection, and his beanie baby collection on the shelf. It's a way to make this obsession of his useful, it keeps his room neater, and gives him a spot to line things up. Seems normal to me, doesn't everyone sort of line up nick nacks on a shelf for display? I guess what I am trying to say is , Devin was never hurting anyone by doing this, it didn't really bother me that he does it, so I sort of embraced that this is what he likes to do, and gave him his own special area to do so. And, in giving him this space to do so, has given his quirk a sense of normalcy. Do you know what I mean? I would never try to stop a behavior that wasn't distructive, and was soothing to him. He likes the shelves because he can see all of his lined up treasures from anywhere in the room. I think the sense of order gives him peace, in a time when he is feeling stressed. It's something tangable that he can manipulate into order, which in turn, creates inner peace for him. Now, try to move any of these treasures that he has lined up, and oh boy, look out, because you'll be in for it.! His bedroom can be a totally trashed out mess, but his shelves always look like a dime store display. As he has gotten older, he has started making little vignettes. This also works to my advantage. Who better to dust the living room? He likes to remove all the objects from the tables, shelves, etc. dust the surface, and reset all of the items. It looks different every time he does it, and it adds a little change to the living room every week! I know this sounds absolutely mad on my part, but I tend to give him the dusting job when I sense he's about to have a meltdown. i know, trust this volitle child with my breakables? But he very gingerly handles each piece, and had never broken a one. I also "allow" him to unpack groceries, he loves to line up cans and boxes in the panrty, I can see all of the labels, and the cereal is well, next to the cereal! LOL! Use it to your advantage, by embracing it, and it will not seem at all strange or " autistic- like" to you. By the way, totally NOT offended by that, I understand, really. I hope this helped.

Last edited by D & K's Mom; 08-30-2005 at 07:49 AM. Reason: left something out

Old 08-30-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
(female)

ThreeBoys HB User

I was told by our OT to break up the lining up of things for our son. He is so visual he'll line things up for 1/2 hour to an hour at a time. So what we do is more like hide one piece he's trying to line up or put it in our pocket or balance it on our head to break up the visual stimulation he gets from everything in one straight line! Sort of make a game out of it. Have him interact w/ US instead of the object!! He doesn't get mad if we're being goofy, but if his older brother comes by and deliberately messes it up, RUN!!!! Hope it helps!

Old 09-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #6
(female)

claste HB User

thanx for the replys, i quite like the idea of making it into a game threeboys, i think i'll take D&Ks Mom advice when my daughter seems stressed, i'll just leave her to it, and i'll take threeboys advice to initiate a game with her thanx again for the advice.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #7
(female)

BabyLuv HB User

Claste,

I was wondering if everything is going ok with your daughter. I hope things are going fine your way!

Closed Thread