It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
(female)

Kempsmom HB User
Is This Autistic Behavior

Hello everyone. I dopped Kemp off at his first day of school (spec.ed). He did not seem to mind that I was leaving! This is the first time that he would be some where w/out me! I was shocked I wanted to cry!!! I have to say that he did go to this school last year but I stayed with him in the class. I was just curiuos if this is common for autistic kids. He is just under three.

Kris

Old 09-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
(female)

Kempsmom HB User
Re: Is This Autistic Behavior

Ok when I picked him from school he was still fine. The teacher said she would be putting a report on how the child did that day everyday for the first two weeks. In her report today didn't even sound like my son! She said Kemp answered when asked a ? he doesn't uasully answer. Is she being kind? I am wondering if this is right. Has anybody had a experience like this before? Any comments or advice is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
(female)

ThreeBoys HB User

My son acts totally differently in school. He won't do ANYTHING for me like he does for those teachers!!!! They had a page full of words that he's said last year and out of about 40 of them, he's said 3 at home!!!!! (He's now 4)
Whatever works!!!!
Good Luck!!!

Old 09-08-2005, 06:30 PM   #4
(female)

D & K's Mom HB User

I know that Devin's first day of school was really hard for me. I went to drop him off,I walked him inside, and he immediately saw the other kids, and ran to play, after a few seconds, he looked to me and said, "Oh , Mom, you're still here? I'm gonna' go play now, okay?" I was happy tht I had taught him the confidence to just get right in there and play with kids that he had never met, but I was crushed that he never even looked back as I left. The little trooper!! I will never forget when I went to pick him up. As I walked past a group of kids, one pointed to Devin and said "it was that kid, mommy" UT OH! what had he done? well, it seems that having a preschooler that can read can be a dangerous thing. He read the word "Pull" on the fire alarm. OOOOOPS, guess we should have covered that one at home ahead of time. Devin was his usual self at school. But as he has gotten older he has learned that school is different, expectations are different, and he HAS to be different at school than at home. Don't all kids? Be proud Mom, you have taught him well. As far as answering questions that the teacher has asked of him, the other kids were doing it, right? He wants to be a part of what is going on, and that's a great thing.

Old 09-08-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
(female)

Kempsmom HB User

Thanks for your "guys" support. I was crushed when I dropped him off! But thank you for pionting out that I taught him well to have cofindence to go to school. I didn't think of it that way so THANK YOU!!!!!

Old 09-09-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
(female)

claste HB User

hi kempsmom, my daughter whos 4, has never bothered when i left her at nursery, she says "mummy go bye bye back soon" she gives me a kiss then practically pushes me out of the door, talk about feeling wanted! and she too is a different child at nursery, they are always full of praise for her, and she just loves it there, then when she comes home her halo slips and her horns come out! lol.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #7
(female)

Kempsmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by claste
hi kempsmom, my daughter whos 4, has never bothered when i left her at nursery, she says "mummy go bye bye back soon" she gives me a kiss then practically pushes me out of the door, talk about feeling wanted! and she too is a different child at nursery, they are always full of praise for her, and she just loves it there, then when she comes home her halo slips and her horns come out! lol.

LOL That is funny. I laughed so hard when I read this!!! Thank you!

Old 09-09-2005, 08:06 PM   #8

Jana2676 HB User

I think its typical of any child. My son started pre-school this week and kept waving at us to leave, 'Go Mom, I Stay!!' My daughter, who is autistic, is happy when she is at school also. Its just a kid thing!

Closed Thread