It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
(female)

ItsJustCyndi HB User
Kentucky or Indiana? Need advice!

We are currently in VA but are considering moving to either Kentucky or Indiana. We have a 3 year old and are curious about the services available in both states.

Also what about insurance companies - are autism related therapies and treatment covered or considered mental health?

We currently have our son's insurance through the FAMIS program in VA. It's a step-up from Medicaid. It's for families who don't have insurance offered through their employers and fall under a certain income limit. Is there a program similar to that in either KY or IN?

Thanks for any and all input. Where we go weighs 100% on the services available for our son.

Cyndi

Old 10-05-2005, 07:03 AM   #2
(female)

JadensGrammy HB User
Re: Kentucky or Indiana? Need advice!

Hello!

I live in southern Indiana. If you google search for autism resources in Indiana (or Kentucky) there are lots of websites for the services and tons of information. As far as Indiana is concerned, a law was passed in 2002 that insurance companies MUST cover autism and treatments since it is NOT classified as a mental OR emotional illness. Hope this helps!

Good luck!
Janice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
(female)

ItsJustCyndi HB User

Hi Janice, thanks for taking the time to reply. I am so confused by the information out there. It seems like the more I search, the more double talk I read. I emailed someone at an Indiana organization today and this is the response I got:

I'm sorry to have to say it, but overall Indiana schools do a VERY bad job with kids with autism -- in fact, families here struggle to get services for their loved ones with autism in every area -- education, health care, employment...I would strongly recommend against moving here unless you absolutely have no choice.

Very discouraging to say the least. Then I read that KY has passed a bill mandating KY insurance companies to pay up to $500 a month in services for autism (including ABA). Of course, if that $500 a month includes speech and OT as well as ABA, then $500 is a drop in the bucket. Is the rest out of pocket? Ugh. Sorry, venting out of sheer frustration.

Cyndi

Old 10-06-2005, 06:01 PM   #4
(female)

navshelt HB User

As a teacher in Indiana...our middle school has a number of Austic students. Each teacher has their IEP, and we go over it painstakingly. As a teacher, it's MY responsibility to follow it to the letter and I do. Yes, these students may take more time but they are entitled to my time. There is a teacher's aide in the room, but what they learn in science is my responsibility and also the special education teachers. I personally modify all their assignments if it is needed...make individual tests for them as needed...decide which vocab words are extremely important and which aren't...I watch over their work in my classroom and also take care of their emotional needs. While they are in my room, they are like my own children...and they are educated and treated as I would want my own children to be. Each school system is different...research and pick the best one you can. In my classes I have a student who is high functioning and one who is not. It's a challange for them every day just to go to school...while they are in my room I take of them.

Closed Thread