It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
(female)

Grady'sMom HB User
Question What is hand flapping?

Can anyone explain or describe these things? Exactly what is hand flapping? Is toe-walking walking on tippy toes? What is stimming?

Old 10-17-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
Re: What is hand flapping?

Hand flapping is something autistic children do when they are excited. At least that is when Drew, 3 yrs. does his hand flapping. When he is waiting for his favorite movie or during his favorite parts of the movie. He flaps his hands. Like you would do to get something off of them.Toe walking you have that correct. Walking on tip-toes, when excited or upset. Or not. Every child is different when they stim. Drew watches wheels go around. It seems to calm him. It is something they do all of the time. If you read other posts you will find each child seems to have some form of stimming in common. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #3
(female)

claste HB User

hand flapping is exactly what it sounds like, toe walking is like they are wearing invisible high heels, and stimming is a repetitive behaviour that is calming i.e spinning around, hand flapping, flicking their fingers or clapping hands, there are loads of stims and each child is very individual, some children will have lots others will have very few, stimming usually happens if a child is anxious, bored, excited etc.

Old 10-17-2005, 06:58 PM   #4
(female)

Sheronor HB User

My daughter doesn't flap her hands, she waves her arms around with her hands closed (almost in fists). If she's sitting down, she'll also balance on her tailbone while she's doing it. She does it when she's excited about something. The dr's still count it as hand flapping, even though her hands are still.

She never does it when she's upset or anxious. She has other very loud ways of dealing with those situations.

She stims by dripping water into her mouth or by dropping chalk or beads down her chalkboard.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Wow. I never knew "toe-walking" was a sign of autism. I've done this unconsciously ever since age three or so, and I still do it very often. I don't have autism, or even Asperger's, but I do have full-blown, severe OCD, which is now considered an autistic spectrum disorder. It seems that each day, one of my "quirks" is further explained...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread