It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
(female)

jamies3 HB User
Question Hiya new here my 3 yr old son just been diagnosed with autism

Help my world has just been torn apart, we where told by sandwell cdc that my 3 yr old had speach and communication probs. had to transfer to walsall cdc due to him going to school in walsall, they have reassessed him and told me that he is autistic, i dont no who to believe. anyone with any advise.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User
Re: Hiya new here my 3 yr old son just been diagnosed with autism

I would ask for a full assessment and do a lot of research.
First off though, remember that your son is still the same kid you love and cherish even if he is autistic. I know it can be very hard to accept. Give yourself some time.

Jeannie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User

Often times, in fact too often kids are first dx with speech delay then later it is found to be PDD. My son was one of those cases. He has been getting lots of help since he was dx with PDD and is doing wonderfully. It's tough in the beginning stages because you just don't know what to expect, but keep in mind that with various therapies he can do very well. Good luck

Old 11-15-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
(female)

AggieMom HB User

Speech and communication problems are a part of autism spectrum disorders, but could also be related to some other diagnosis. Either way early intervention is what is going to make the difference. Do not be afraid of the diagnosis- sometimes it can help you to get services that may be of great benefit to your son and if it turns out that with a little help he is able to catch up and get back on track with his speech and communication and his problems are fixed then it won't really matter what they diagnosed him with. Early intervention will not do any harm, but waiting because you are not sure of the diagnosis could. Get whatever help you can. My son was diagnosed at about 24mo (not officially until he was older, but we knew). We had no idea what to expect for him in the begining. He's now 7yrs old and has changed so much. He still has issues, but he's doing well in a regular 1st grade class with only a few modifications and a little academic support from special ed. Now we realize that we have no idea how far he will go in life, but we have hope. In the begining I sometimes wondered when he made progress if it was something that would have happened even if we hadn't put in the hours of therapy and playtime because the progress was in such baby steps, but I can look back now and see that it made a big difference in how far he has come. Hang in there. It will be overwhelming at first with so much information and even more unanswered questions, but you will come to realize that our children have their own unique gifts that will touch our lives and the lives of others if we just take the time to see past the disability, help them be the best they can be, and just love and enjoy them. I hope you find encouragement and strength here. There are a lot of good people with good information on this board. Good Luck.

Old 11-16-2005, 07:03 AM   #5
(female)

jamies3 HB User

thanks for your reply, its all mind blowing at the moment getting very confusing information. Its the not knowing what to expect and how to help him and where to get the help from thats causing our main problems.

regards sarah

Old 11-16-2005, 07:10 AM   #6
(female)

jamies3 HB User

Thanks for reply, its the not knowing and where to go to get help ect that is causing us the main problems.

regards

sarah

Old 11-16-2005, 07:14 AM   #7
(female)

jamies3 HB User

Thanks for reply, its not knowing where to get help and who to talk to regarding this that is so confusing and what we can do to help our son develope etc.

regards

sarah

Old 11-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #8
(female)

tania m HB User

hi my name is tania,
just like to say if it is that your son has autism their is a lot of help out their trust me, i work in a school just outside rugley which is so good i have seen children come on in leaps and bounds with communication etc, i know how upset and anxious you must be but try to think positive their is a lot of help out their if you ever need any advice just let me know! take care tania x

Closed Thread