It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
(female)

suthrngrace HB User
could it be autism?

The specific areas of concern for me are:

Speech and language delay
Reluctance even refusal to make eye contact
Resorts almost immediately to retaliation with children at school
Extreme responses to what seem like normal sounds. He will cover his ears and cry that it is too loud. (He is absolutely terrified of the washing machine is spin cycle.)
Extreme responses to minor things. (Such as my folding a slice of cheese in half instead of leaving it flat, he will become distraught and refuse to eat the "broken" cheese)
He has a lot of trouble comprehending and following directions. The best way I can describe it is that he wants to but it is almost like he is trapped within himself at times.

He is in speech therapy and is having success. He is very bright in many areas as well. He does simple addition already and knows 20 of the U.S. states, so he is not lacking for intelligence, but something is up with him. I would appreciate anyone sharing his or her experience and knowledge with me.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User
Re: could it be autism?

Hi; Sounds similar to some of the things I noticed in my son when I was wondering "if" he may be on the spectrum. My son was dx as PDD/NOS last March. My suggestion to you is to have your son evaluated by a Developmental Pediatrician asap. How old is your son? I have found this disorder to be very bizarre because it puts the child all over the place in terms of development. My son just turned three and academically he has some skills that are at a 5 and 6 year old level however he is unable to answer basic questions without prompting such as what did you eat for breakfast. He is very intelligent but the communication skills are definately off and there are some quirky behaviors that make him appear different than other kids his age. Food issues are one of them. With my son he rejects food on appearence ie: if a french fry is too brown he won't eat it even though he loves fries. He won't eat a different brand of waffle. etc etc
If I can answer any other questions please feel free to ask. Good Luck

Last edited by jeffreys mom; 01-04-2006 at 10:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
(female)

suthrngrace HB User

Thank you for your reply. He is 4. I will check into having him evaluated. Could you recommend any reading for me to educate myself? We are not exactly in an average situation. We are a military family and my son is treated in a military clinic. There have been times in the past that I have had to do most of the diagnosis myself and just let them confirm. I would prefer to go into this as knowledgeable as possible.

My son is on different developmental levels as well. His teacher has expressed that he is ahead of the others as far as knowledge of the alphabet. But on his evaluations he does not show that knowledge, because of lack of communication. He has a real hard time with questions, but he is making progress. He has a hard time accepting that there is more than one way to express things. Such as “go put that into the trash” He knows what trash is, but unless I tell him to put it into the garbage, then it does not compute. Which makes him have a difficult time with others, because he knows the phrases we use in our family and does not accept the way that others may say the same thing.

Another issue I will have to face is my husband. He got defensive at first suggestion of autism. He did not tell me not to do the research, but if it is the problem then I fear he will have a very hard time accepting it.

I have a family member who works with special ed students in another state, so I have talked with her about things going on with my son and she told me to do some research into autism. That is where this all began last night.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

It does sound like your son may be on the autism spectrum. Alot of his symptoms are different than my autistic child. You son sounds hyper-senstive while my son was very hypo-sensistive. It also sounds like he probably has sensory integration dysfunction which is common in autistic people. I would recommend reading The Out of Sync Child. It explains sensory integration dysfunction and gives advice on how to help children with it.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
(female)

suthrngrace HB User

Thank you for your reply. I have contacted his speech therapist and we will be having a discussion tomorrow. I have looked into Sensory Integration Dysfunction and he does exhibit many of those traits. His therapist plans to talk with the special Ed director at school prior to our conversation as well. I have made a list of the concerning behaviors. Hopefully we are on the path to an answer. I will look into his book as well. Thanks again!

Old 01-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
(female)

expmommie4 HB User

I have a 3 1/2 year old autistic daughter, and there are some similarities with your son and my daughter. Kaelyn was and still is sensitive to some noises, sounds, and feel. That is refer to as Sensory Intergration disorder (occupational therapy would help with that). She is also very repetitive, and she has to follow a routine. Her eye contact has gotten much better, but sometimes when over simulated she can't handle it. She is also aggressive at times, and that is because she really can't express herself. At one point she was not verbal at all, then she went through a period of echolalia where she only repeated what she heard, and only knew how to talk in phrases,("momma I need tissue" was one word to her)she was not yet able to break up words and understand each word. Now she is talking in four word sentences, and she has learned how to put single word into a functioning sentence. Also whatever my daughter focuses on she can master it at an alarming rate, (colors, numbers, shape, the way the computer works, ect.) Ever since she started her early childhood program she has become VERY social. The only way to really know if your son is autistic is having him tested for autism. I see that you already have him in speech therapy, so you can ask your therapist, doctor, school, and or insurance company where to go. Autism has such a wide spectrum, from very mild autism (Asperger's Syndrome) to severe non-functioning autism. My daughter is on the mild to moderate end, and she is functioning. She has been getting speech, developmental, and occupational therapy since she was 18 months. Now that she is 3 1/2 she also goes to our area early childhood intervention preschool (you might want to check into that). She will also be starting a ABA program (Applied Behavior Analysis ), a very intense form of individual therapy. (you might want to check into that also) EC preschool would be good for your son in any case because these teacher are there for him and they are working with him based on his needs in a group setting with other peers who needs intervention as well a typical functioning peers and he would also get individual therapy. The fact that his current school doesn't understand his needs or give him individual time, whichmay be why he is aggressive. My daughter did have some of the same behaviors as your son, some we have successfully managed and some we are still dealing with, but the quicker you find out and get a true diagnosis, the better you and your family can begin to understand and really help your son. Again if he is indeed autistic it's great that you caught it when he is still young. In the mean time here are some helpful materials that will answer some of your questions, and also give you some great information.

1.The book Let Me hear Your Voice —by Martha Welch,
2. The video Autism the Road Back —by Inc. Magic Lantern Group
(both should be at your local library)

-Also don't be afraid if he is diagnosed with autism, because there is so much more help available once it's made, plus you'll know what your dealing with, and how to work with it. I remember never wanting to hear that word, but when we were finally told that our daughter had autism, so much more became available to us through our insurance, and our state's agencies.

I hope I have helped out a little.

Good luck,

Old 02-05-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
(female)

bklgreen HB User

I am in the military also and my 20 month old son was recently dx with autism or PDD. I go to the pediatric clinic and requested a developmental evaluation be done. MY PCM had to request this service for me through Tricare and it took a few months to get it arranged. I had a militatry developmental pediatrician eval my son but they also approved an outside provider to do the eval. They also hooked me up with EI services in the community and he is getting speech, OT, and seeing a cranial osteopath right now. We are looking into the CFGF diet and hyperbaric therapy for him also at this point. We were able to get the cranial osteopath authorized due to my sons constant ear infections, but I see it having positive affects with his behavior and symptoms also. I don't think the hyperbaric therapy will be covered by Tricare but I am looking into that also. Hope this helps some. At age 3 the public schools are also mandated by law to evaluate any child who parent requests it. I have been a special ed. teacher for 10 years and am familiar with this.

Closed Thread