It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

judyg1716 HB User
Question Autistic 17 Year Old Nephew

Hello,
I Am Writing In regards To My 17 Year Old Great Nephew. He Presently Lives At Home With His Parents In South Carolina , He Has Wonderful Parents Who Have Given Him The Very Best Treatment And Homelife That Anyone Could Possibly Receive.
However After My Last Visit Over The New Year Holiday And Remembering Another Previous Visit In The Summer, I Have Noticed That His Behavior Is Becoming Much Harder To Handle Because Of His Size, for one instance and He Is Showing More And More Disruptive Behavior (he slammed his hand into a hugh favorite picture of his mothers and it broke and glass flew everywhere, nothing provoked it that we knew of) I Have Observed Serval Instances Of Extremly Intimidating Actions he approached a very small little girl of about 2 at the beach who was with a group of children probably from a daycare center. He approached her with great speed and in a hostile manner, with fists clenched and just stared at her. but stopped immediately upon being right in fromt of the child and just stood there. my neice just told him to come on and get going , which he did , ( the caretaker of the little girl was totally in shock, she didn't know what to do or say...so i tld her about thomas and luckily that was the en of that episode)but i feel those days are numbered for him and that he will soon not be able to control his urges.) he will not be able to have the freedom he now has of going everywhere with his parents. His Parents Are Now Facing Excruciating Decisions On What To Do. The Bus Driver Doesn't Want To Transport Him Anymore Unless Something Can Be Done as he is intimidating and disruptive by yelling outbursts etc.
The School Is Running Out Of Patience. South Carolina Does Not Offer Much Help For These Unfortunate Children.
I Worry That He Is Becoming So Strong And With An Inner Anger (who Could Blame The Child nor do we really know what they think all the time). that he may harm them in some way in the future. He is 180 pounds now and bigger than both of his parents.Worse, another person or small child. He does Try To Use Restraint And Does Listen Most of the time. The Ourburst Are Usually Not Provoked And Are Sudden. I Know That My Neice Is Facing Probably One Of The Most Challenging Decisions She Will Have To Make. She May Have To Quit Her Teaching Job To Stay With Him At Home. But I Think, Surely There Must Be Somewhere in our fine Country A Placae thae will provide a Home Invironment That Will Help Nurture Him And Give Him More Socialization With Others That Are Similar with His Type Of Autism., and in his age group, A Place Where He Can Live And Have The Same routine schedule for him each day and bring out more of his talents and ease his tension or depression that he may have. This is something few of us could provide at home. It is difficult to do that with "Normal" children if there are any..

1. Do Any Of You Know Of Such Boarding Schools Or Care Centers Any Area Of Our Country.I hesitate to use the word Institution but there must be some accredited places available. Where are they and What are their names?

3. Do Any Of You Have Contact Information That Would Enable Us To Find A Solution That Would Be Best For Thomas And His Parents.?

I Live In Ohio And Although I Visit Him Frequently. And Have Since He Was A Baby...i Am Unable To Give Them Advice Or Help In Their Area. I Just Know That Some Of The Metropolitan Areas In Our Country Must Deal With This On A Much Bigger Scale. It Would Also Help So Much as I also Have another niece, also In South Carolina, whose young Son of 3 Years was recently diagnosed Autistic. Please, let me know of any agencies, schools, Doctors Etc that I might check on or forward to my neices to help them at this challenging time in their lives.

forgive for being so wory....but thanks in advance for your opinions and help

Last edited by judyg1716; 01-16-2006 at 12:03 PM. Reason: too many errors

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
(female)

marissamm HB User
Re: Autistic 17 Year Old Nephew

hi judyg, tell them to contact the dept of mental retardation in their area,request services such as a personal assistance or residential for him, my son is also 17 and huge, and a behavior problem we got services in september he now has a personal assistance for 44 hours a week which is a ig help, is he on ssi if not they might have to wait till he turns 18. but check and see. good luck.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
(female)

judyg1716 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Autistic 17 Year Old Nephew

Thank You So Much I Will Forward That Information To Her. It Will Be Of Great Comfort And Help For Her To Have This Information I Am Sure. Judy

Old 01-17-2006, 01:45 AM   #4

Jana2676 HB User
Re: Autistic 17 Year Old Nephew

(HUGS) to you your family, that is rough! In CA we have Regional centers for persons with developmental disabilities. Its federally funded and I think each state has centers like that. He may qualify for an in home aid at age 18, you must go through health and human services for that. There are some group homes for developmentally disabled people. I hope you family is able to find a solution. I hate the idea of medication, but maybe that could help him in conjunction with other solutions.

Closed Thread