It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
(female)

delcy HB User
risperdal and methylphenidate

My son is 9 years old and has been on risperdal for 3 years now. But i read and hear horror stories about risperdal, he takes 1.5 ml in liquid. He has now started to take methylphenidate for about 2 months now 10 mg. Has anyone else heard any bad things on both of these medications? I have a friend who her son is on concerta 28mg, and he is doing awsome on it . It seemed like the first 2 weeks that he started the methylphenidate he was doing good and now its almost like he's not even on it. The risperdal gives him headaches and he has gained alot of weight. He is a very hyper boy and has a bad temper. The doctor doesn't seem to think its bad for him at all, but now im starting to ask myself questions. If there are any parents out there who can answer some of my questions, i would really appreciate it.
Thanks, Delcy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 11:43 PM   #2
(female)

gigibee HB User
Re: risperdal and methylphenidate

Hi Delcy,
My son Garrett, who is 26, took Risperdal for a couple of years when he was 17 or 18. He is nonverbal, so it always is hard to tell how a medication affects him. But he did seem rather "drugged up" on Risperdal. Just not himself. I couldn't see that it benefited him, so I stopped it even though the doctor felt it might be helping. (But then they -- doctors -- often seem to think a drug is the magic bullet, it seems to me.)
So for what it's worth, that's our experience with Risperdal. I've never heard of the other medication you mentioned.
Hope this helps at least a little. Georgia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2006, 06:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Delcy and Georgia,

They put me on Ritalin when I was five years old. It didn't work at all for me. It turned me into a zombie. Asperger Syndrome wasn't known about in those days, but I believe I had the characteristics of it all my life. I was mistakenly diagnosed as hyperactive. I know that wasn't the real problem.

Last edited by 9CatMom; 04-16-2006 at 06:06 AM.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:19 AM   #4
(female)

marissamm HB User

hi delcy, my son is 17 dx hfa he was on risperdal for several years he is off it now, because it caused him to gain lots of weight and it raised his prolactin level causing him to have "breast" which isn't in the warning, he is on other meds which is working great for his aggression and it doesn't make him a zombie, as far as his "breast" it will take surgery to remove them i am trying to make the risperdal company pay for it.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:57 AM   #5
(male)

madwasper2 HB User

Hi delcy yes my son was on respidol and he had bad reactions to it one thing he was druged up and could not sleep and another problem was he would get a painfull erection and he was just 7 years old when this happend we took him off ouself the doctor that prescribed it to him wanted us to give him more but we stopted it.She told us their has not been any studies done in young children only adults they shoul not give theses drugs to our kids unless they do studies first. They are just doing trial and error on our children. My son is only takeing paxil right now.It has less side effects.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
(female)

pingu06 HB User

hi
my 9 yr old was on risperdal for 4 yrs and around christmas time it seemed to stop working.Other parents who have their kids on this drug also report massive weight gains but my little one is too hyper active to put any weight on and now he's on Aripiprazole or aka Abilify

good luck

Old 06-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #7
(female)

Sheronor HB User

What are these drugs for? I've read other posts about resperidol and other drugs, and it mainly seem to be the boys who are on them? Why do they get prescribed these drugs?

Old 06-12-2006, 06:44 AM   #8
(female)

pingu06 HB User

hi sherrieleanor???(sorry if thats wrong)

All i know is Risperdal is an anti-psychotic drug used in schizophrenia and other mental health ares.Its main aim is to reduce the stress levels that our kids experience so that they can function.Every auty person lives with immense levels of stress and when they become too great they can go into sensory overload-have you heard of that??? let me know if not and i will explain.
love mich

Old 07-20-2006, 11:09 AM   #9

Sarahsmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcy
My son is 9 years old and has been on risperdal for 3 years now. But i read and hear horror stories about risperdal, he takes 1.5 ml in liquid. He has now started to take methylphenidate for about 2 months now 10 mg. Has anyone else heard any bad things on both of these medications? I have a friend who her son is on concerta 28mg, and he is doing awsome on it . It seemed like the first 2 weeks that he started the methylphenidate he was doing good and now its almost like he's not even on it. The risperdal gives him headaches and he has gained alot of weight. He is a very hyper boy and has a bad temper. The doctor doesn't seem to think its bad for him at all, but now im starting to ask myself questions. If there are any parents out there who can answer some of my questions, i would really appreciate it.
Thanks, Delcy

Old 07-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #10

Sarahsmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcy
Thanks, Delcy
I put my daughter on it -- very low dose .25. When I upped it to .5 she started having uncontrollable "ticking" her legs and feet would contract on their own --even in her sleep so I know it wasn't voluntary. She was always flushed and her heart rate went way up. I took her off of it immediately, and she still had side effects for weeks. Did nothing for the aggression. My pediatrician told me that 90% of her other patients on it responded well with no side effects.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:19 AM   #11
(male)

jakemoore HB User

Well with risperdal it slows a serious pleasure and activity site in the brain i.e dopamine, in schizophrenia this would eliminate hallucinations, in bi-polar it would stop manic periods, however methylphenidate (ritalin) multiplies dopamine activity, seems to be a strange combination. However many people do it and it works fine. Everyone is different, there is no serious interaction but if you notice anything wrong talk to the doctor. -Jake

Old 07-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #12
(female)

cariv005 HB User

My son has been on this medication for 2 months now and he has gained about 20 pounds and has breast now, i stop giving it to him for about 4 days now and he is very violent now, im trying to find another way to cope with him without the medication.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:28 PM   #13
(male)

MarkTS HB User

I sure am aware of this drug too. I took this drug between the ages of 15-18 and over that three years I had many of the issues others have said. I went from 170 pounds (at 15 I was 6'3" and 170 pounds) and before going off the drug I was 345 pounds. Within one year being off the drug I'm back down to 185 now but I have flaps of skin that will need to be cut off and that ain't cheap. Beyond that I also have really bad sensitivity to light almost everyday for those three years. It felt like tons of needles were being shoved into my eyes and light (sun, lamps and such) would make it worse. Two or three times it got so bad I started to bang my head very very hard against the wall until my mother was forced to drive me to the ER at which point they gave me very powerfull sedatives that put me to sleep. All I know is on those three times they gave me the drugs via IV and told me to count backwards from 100 and I never remembered anything more than 99.

My other issue was very high blood pressure which is one of the reasons I was put asleep during the light issues as my blood pressure was at 215/110 for example. My mother said my max reading ever while in the ER was 226/119 and last I checked that is very bad. Once I turned 18 I got very sick and also lost all control at times and my rage got very bad so I was admitted into the hospital and they took me off all my drugs and transferred me into another locked treatment place for the next month. After that month and two weeks I was a very different person and the docs also noticed my 125 pound loss during the first month which also required being sent back to the hospital again as losing that much weight in that short of a time period is also very bad.

Those were very fun times to say the least and all I can say to the OP is keep asking questions and forcing the docs to answer them. Also I was given this drug for the treatment of Tourette's Syndrome in case you wanted to know.

Old 07-22-2006, 08:28 PM   #14
(male)

jakemoore HB User

this drug would exponentiate tourettes syndrome...This drugs nickname is tic cause that's what its side effects are, this drug should never be used except in the WORST case.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #15
(male)

MarkTS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemoore
this drug would exponentiate tourettes syndrome...This drugs nickname is tic cause that's what its side effects are, this drug should never be used except in the WORST case.
Yes I know and I was one of the worst cases ever seen in the Tampa Bay Area and I think they tried just about every drug between the ages of 6 and 22 and this drug was one of the last ones I took and it was as a last resort. My latest treatment I'm getting is botox injections and those seem to help enough that I can just barely get by but I can get by. This drug did actually reduce my tics a decent amount without creating new tics but everything else was much worse than all the tics together.

Closed Thread