It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
(female)

aidymum HB User
Question Super Nu- Thera, any success stories or otherwise?

Hi everyone,

I have a seven year old son with Autism. We have been using vitamin/mineral supplements with him successfully for some time now. We use Omega 3 oils and TMG with additional Folinic acid and B12.

I'm always wary about trying too many new supplements at the same time as I find it's then difficult to establish what is causing improvements or not. As he's been on these supplements for a while now ( Omega 3 oils since age 3, and TMG since age 6 1/2), with really good results, I'm now considering Super Nu-Thera which has also been recomended by the Centre for Study for Autism. ( B6 / Magnesium formula)

What I want to know is if anyone out there has had success with Super Nu-Thera? It appealed to me because I can get it in liquid form and my son is happy to take meds from a spoon- even the nasty Omega 3 oil!

Has anyone been using it with any degree of success, or have you found no difference in behaviour or any other problems? I thought with the wealth of experience you people have you were my best bet for impartial advice.

Thanks, Aidymum.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Super Nu- Thera, any success stories or otherwise?

Hi Aidymum,

I personally know of several families who swear by SNT. We tried the SNT flavored powder & could not get it to fly, no matter how it was disguised. I think that the younger you start the better -- kids get fussier the older they get.

My son, now 15, does take many B vites & minerals, but he's old enough to do regular swallow vites & of course does not want "baby stuff from a spoon." HA! Except for the sour gummy vites I get him!!!

About the 'nasty Omega 3 oils' -- we have found Omega 3s to be absolutely the most important supplement for our son (PDD-NOS) over the yrs. Have tried many brands, & I must say that Nordic Naturals brand wins hands-down for us. It comes deodorized & there is a choice of flavors ... I think the berry one is quite popular w/kids. As your children mature, they can move into chewable gelcaps. Not selling anything here, I can find NN at dept stores as well as at health food stores where I live. The company was very good about sending us generous amts of samples to try when I contacted them. Their products are not cheap, & I didn't want to waste another $25 on something my kid refused to take ...

Which reminds me, last time I checked, Kirkman Labs also offered trial sizes of many of their products, though not for free. I wish I'd done that!

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 04:07 AM   #3
(female)

Curious Nana HB User

Hi! I've been away for a while, and just logged on for the first time in a month. Your message caught my eye because we had my 4 year-old grandson evaluated at Pfeiffer Treatment Center over a year ago. He has been on an individual program of vitiamins, minerals, and amino acids, and we have seen marked improvement in his speech, which is the major area where he manifests symptoms. I agree with the idea of starting early. Drake takes is capsules opened, poured in a bit of juice, and given with a dropper in his mouth. He takes all of the supplements you mentioned. I certainly do believe in the power they have in bringing about change!

Old 03-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
(female)

geezermom HB User

We're about to try some concentrated liquid vitamins...think its one mentioned above...high in magnesium and the b complex.

Here's a note about the ability to absorb vitamins - Curious Nana, I think you'd asked me about this a couple months back.

I read that a fairly significant percentage of autistic individuals show a defect in their MTHFR gene. Its one of two genes that regulate the homocystein system (I hope I'm not slaughtering this medical description, sorry). Anyway, if your MTHFR gene is faulty, you a) have tendency to develop blood clots and b) have a limited ability to absorb vitamins.

My high risk OB tested me for this before my second pregnancy so as to be on the lookout for pre-eclampsia. Our first son was 14 weeks premature (and now PDD NOS) due to me getting severely pre-eclamptic. Its also known as toxemia. All I had to do for the second pregnancy was take baby aspirin daily plus big whoppers of folic acid.

Long story short, since I DO have a goofy MTHFR gene (but am not autistic), we went ahead and tested our PDD NOS son. He's fine.

Curious Nana, you were curious about our results, so here they are. We're going to do vitamins just as a trial...the doc says they can't hurt, so why not? Glad ya'll are seeing good results!
Cheers,
LeAnne

Closed Thread