It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 11:35 PM   #1
(female)

gigibee HB User
Question I'm new -- anyone with an adult fam member?

Hi everyone,
I just found these boards.
I'm the mother of a 26-year-old who was diagnosed with autism at age 4, when he lost his ability to speak and his understanding of speech. His behavior also changed, and he showed many signs of autism.
My son (Garrett) later received a diagnosis of Landau-Kleffner Syndrome, which is very closely related to autism.
He never has regained his ability to speak, and his comprehension still is very limited.
Is there anyone else out there with an adult family member?
By the way, if this is encouraging at all to those of you with children, my son's behavior has calmed down a great deal. He's the light of my life.
So -- anyone, anyone, anyone with an adult??
Georgia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 03:02 AM   #2

Jana2676 HB User
Re: I'm new -- anyone with an adult fam member?

My 25 year old cousin has high functioning autism. When my cousin was about 3, her mom was told by their Dr that my cousin was autistic and retarded. My aunt flipped, changed Drs and never had my cousin evaluated. She had a hard time. I love my aunt, but thinking back to how my cousin was treated as a kid by her family, our extended family,etc, it breaks my heart. They were so hard on her, teased her, no flexiblity and no sensitivity. I am the only cousin that is/was nice to her. When we were kids, she was pretty out of control, had alot of bad behaviors, odd routines, etc.

As soon as my daughter was diagnosed, I knew my cousin was autistic. I called my grandparents and talked to them, they basically raised her. I think they knew something was up, but never knew what it was. I also called my aunt and talked to her about it. I asked them to be supportive of her and someone needed to give her a ride, etc to the Dr. I found her a doctor that works with adults and I think it has changed her outlook on life. I think she has finally understood what has made her so different. She has done well for herself. She did well academically in school, but had a really hard time socially. She talks a little funny, and I think that turns people off. Her social skills have improved alot, but they still need some help. She found a very sweet man, and they are married. He is very offbeat, so they make the perfect couple. She has completed some college, and cannot hold a job. So she still has alot of daily battles, but she is very happy. She calls me for advice and I am thankful she can trust me. My grandparents basically raised her, but there are somethings you cannot ask your 75 year old grandma, KWIM? What irratates me now is my aunt is telling everyone she did the best she could have done in those circumstances. She still isnt very nice to my cousin and its just really sad. I could on about this, lol.

Anyway, I know there is alot of hope for my daughter. I know she will have a future, becuase I have seen what my cousin did without help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
(female)

marissamm HB User
Re: I'm new -- anyone with an adult fam member?

my son is not an adult yet but almost he is 17 and yes his behavior has clamed down a lot, we are trying to prepare him for work and an adult life he is high functioning autistic, he is a good boy and he is my light, take care

Closed Thread